The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aula

That's very exciting :yep:
I've never served, I've always been in the choir instead. I always think I'd be nervous about doing things wrong if I were a server.

I would love to be in the choir but I am to shy to try. Maybe at my new university Catholic Chaplaincy. Would love to learn to play a musical instrument too.

It can be a privilege being an altar server. I started last year around November during Christ the King. I have never been in a robe before and the feeling of being in one makes you feel holy. Since I am over 18, I get to wear the cassock which is the black long undergarment that priest wear with white over garment.
I was only an altar server for about 6 months at the Parish and I am proud to see so many young people serving with me at the altar every Sunday.

The proudest moment for me would be that I am able to impart, indirectly my reverence to the younger altar servers. I didn't tell them to follow what I do, they just followed and one of the parishioners after Mass told me how the kids have become so reverend at the altar.

Overall, I encourage you to try it atleast for 2 weeks and see how it goes for you. There's no age limit to serving God and the privilege of being so close to the Blessed Sacrament is amazing :biggrin:
Original post by Aula
Me :hi:

Ooohhh brilliant! See you there!

It's so lovely here, with all Catholics that believe in the same things that I do! It's great we have the freedom to practice our faith overtly (though some may argue not) in our culture! We're so blessed with this freedom. Deo gratias!
Reply 4343
Original post by Jhyzone
I would love to be in the choir but I am to shy to try. Maybe at my new university Catholic Chaplaincy. Would love to learn to play a musical instrument too.

It can be a privilege being an altar server. I started last year around November during Christ the King. I have never been in a robe before and the feeling of being in one makes you feel holy. Since I am over 18, I get to wear the cassock which is the black long undergarment that priest wear with white over garment.
I was only an altar server for about 6 months at the Parish and I am proud to see so many young people serving with me at the altar every Sunday.

The proudest moment for me would be that I am able to impart, indirectly my reverence to the younger altar servers. I didn't tell them to follow what I do, they just followed and one of the parishioners after Mass told me how the kids have become so reverend at the altar.

Overall, I encourage you to try it atleast for 2 weeks and see how it goes for you. There's no age limit to serving God and the privilege of being so close to the Blessed Sacrament is amazing :biggrin:

Definitely go for the choir!

Thank for the advice about serving, but it's definitely not where my ministry lies. Music is more my thing. :yep:

Lovely tsr Catholics, I've got a couple of fairly big decisions to make. Prayers for discernment would be muchly appreciated. I think I've made one of them, but am going to do as Ignatius says, and sit with it for a few days. So at least until after this weekend.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4344
Original post by Bernaaaaaaaa
Ooohhh brilliant! See you there!

How exciting. Are you camping, or staying in the big communal thing?
Reply 4345
I'm going to go on a quoting spree here tomorrow:biggrin::tongue:
Original post by Aula

Lovely tsr Catholics, I've got a couple of fairly big decisions to make. Prayers for discernment would be muchly appreciated. I think I've made one of them, but am going to do as Ignatius says, and sit with it for a few days. So at least until after this weekend.

Of course hun :yep: :hugs: :yep:

Would appreciate prayers for my discernment over job hunting versus potential year at SPEC, if they like me. Not too sure where God is leading me atm :nah:
Reply 4347
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Will do, yep heard about the Bishop's new appointment on Mgr Grogan's blog.

Hallam are waiting for their new bishop too. Both are going to be hard acts to follow.

Thankyou!!!! You'll be there now:biggrin:

I think I should keep a book of prayer intentions.

1. For new Bishops:smile:
Reply 4348
Original post by nmccann
Im RC sign me up !

Hey!!!!!!:smile:

Original post by Aula
Is anyone off to Brightlights tomorrow? :ninjagirl: :jebus:

Hope it was good? I've been amazed how many Catholic youth events there are over here.:eek::biggrin:
Reply 4349
Original post by nmccann
True dat. thank god its not in latin anymore haha

lol, I wouldn't mind seeing what Latin mass is like one day at least just for the experience:biggrin:

Original post by Surfing_the_shine
hello so there is an abortion poll about and i think you catholics should get on the bandwagon of promoting pr-life attitudes! its what Jesus would do, please help out

Thanks.:smile:

Original post by barnetlad
Over the next week whilst away I am going to read the autobiography of the former Bishop of Derry. When he's been interviewed he's seemed an inspirational man.

I've never read an autobiography before, a good Bishop would be a good place to start.

Original post by button16
Hey Rac,

I have just seen this message and wondered where abouts you live? As Youth 2000 is a great event even if you can come for a few days. Your Diocesan youth office might know of some people going or there might even be a coach going from your area.

Thankyou, i was hoping someone would know something about it :biggrin: I think I'll probably take your advice

Original post by hopingtobeadentist
My boyfriends catholic.

close enough lol:biggrin:
This seems like a good excuse to post this blog. The blogger was dating a catholic guy and being an atheist she decided to set up the blog as a discussion between the two belief systems. she split up the guy but a couple of weeks ago announced her conversion

Original post by InkyOne
Anyone else not been to confession in years and years? Feeiling increasingly guilty, but I can't even remember what you do! :s-smilie:

In one of those 'stuff catholics say' videos on youtube a girl says "I haven't been to confession in like six hours" and the boy next to her goes "i haven't been to confession in like six years...is that bad?:confused:" lol

There's a lot of stuff online about 'how to go to confession' the last time I went I took an old missal with me for the act of contrition:biggrin:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4350
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Aula's completely right (as always) :yep:

Btw guys, I dunno how many of you will be interested but greeneyedgirl from the TSR Christian Soc (X Soc) has restarted the Bible Soc thread. Right now, we're going through the letter to the Hebrews. The studies are poignant but don't take that much time to do. If you're interested, have a look here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1888906

We did a study of some of the Psalms over Lent and I know that this helped me personally to deal with my Lenten demons :colondollar:

I started reading the bible (not in a praying, lectio divina kind of way just straight through like a novel) in April and now I'm up to Mark's gospel (started with the NT LOL).

great that it helped you!

Original post by wikiellie
Hello there!

I've posted on this thread several times before, and I am interested in knowing if there are any fellow altar servers in the house? :smile:

I've been altar serving for just over a year, as I was chosen by my priest (who is also a great friend of mine), just after I made my first Holy communion vows through the RCIA 18 months ago.

Cool, it was never an idea when I was younger from my mum and we always get there just as mass starts though so it wouldn't really work out. I read though! There's a boy whose about 8 and he reads as well as serving:biggrin:
Reply 4351
Original post by Wild Horses
Hey guys just wanted to share this with you, for those of you who would be interested. There is a daily devotion booklet called Living faith and basically gives brief daily catholic devotions based on one of the mass readings for the day. It's really interesting to read, very short and would really give a good start to your day. The book covers a 3 month period, and there are 4 books which cover the year.

Here is a link to the site to get a copy and find out more information. : http://www.livingfaith.com/

Hope you guys enjoy it :smile:

Thankyou that could be great for me :biggrin:

Original post by wikiellie
I was also in the choir in my parish for a while, as well as being a full-time reader, prayer writer, voluntary cleaner and altar server! :smile:

I think the potential to make mistakes puts many people off altar serving, but Father has always told me that if I bow and make a sign of the cross at the correct times, no one will notice the mistakes! :thumbsup:

I love your fervour
LOL:biggrin:

Will pray for everyone's discernment.:smile:
Reply 4352
One last thing...
I don't know if anyone will see this beforehand--but tomorrow there is a compulsory philiosphy thing (its for PSHE, btw, my school is not normally remotely interested in this subject :frown:) its entitled:

"What is a human being?"

Prayers for it to go well please.:redface:
Original post by rac1
One last thing...
I don't know if anyone will see this beforehand--but tomorrow there is a compulsory philiosphy thing (its for PSHE, btw, my school is not normally remotely interested in this subject :frown:) its entitled:

"What is a human being?"

Prayers for it to go well please.:redface:

Will say a prayer for you :yep:
Reply 4354
Will say a prayer for you :yep:

Thankyou!

WOW it was very weird. Surprise, surprise it wasn't really based around any theme, contrary to what the posters said. :rolleyes: Consisted of 20min talks from a Quaker, a Hindu, a vicar, and two of the resident Muslim teachers.

•

Hindu woman was very interesting had no idea they still believed in the five classical elements:eek:. she was like the most interesting one, she said that Hindu's believe all religions can lead to salvation but you should follow it properly:biggrin: and that was definitely what I took away from the afternoon.

•

Next was the Anglican vicar, it was very funny because about half of the questions were about Catholicism:lol: so yes I announced to the class that I'm Catholic:colondollar::biggrin: :biggrin: he said a few things about Catholic doctrine that weren't true e.g. Catholic's believe that life begins before conception (I just did a kind of *scoff* face i.e.:lolwut: as he wasn't willing to discuss it.) The first question from the floor was something about the Pope and God and I said we don't believe the Pope has a phone number for God. :erm:

•

the Muslim talk was very good because it was two teachers so they were used to it, lol

•

Quaker was, in one word- vague

Original post by rac1
Thankyou!

WOW it was very weird. Surprise, surprise it wasn't really based around any theme, contrary to what the posters said. :rolleyes: Consisted of 20min talks from a Quaker, a Hindu, a vicar, and two of the resident Muslim teachers.

•

Hindu woman was very interesting had no idea they still believed in the five classical elements:eek:. she was like the most interesting one, she said that Hindu's believe all religions can lead to salvation but you should follow it properly:biggrin: and that was definitely what I took away from the afternoon.

•

Next was the Anglican vicar, it was very funny because about half of the questions were about Catholicism:lol: so yes I announced to the class that I'm Catholic:colondollar::biggrin: :biggrin: he said a few things about Catholic doctrine that weren't true e.g. Catholic's believe that life begins before conception (I just did a kind of *scoff* face i.e.:lolwut: as he wasn't willing to discuss it.) The first question from the floor was something about the Pope and God and I said we don't believe the Pope has a phone number for God. :erm:

•

the Muslim talk was very good because it was two teachers so they were used to it, lol

•

Good on you for standing up for the faith, even if it was just pulling a :lolwut: face and announcing that you're a Catholic :woo:
Reply 4356
Original post by rac1
Thankyou!

•

•

•

•

The Anglican vicar sounds like such a shame. That's part of how people think bad things about Catholics - because they only hear partial truths, or sometimes downright lies. It can do such damage.
On which note, has anyone heard if Catholic voices? It might be something some of you want to look into. I'm on my phone, or I'd type up more about it, but it's probably worth googling if you're interested in defending Catholicism.
Reply 4357
Original post by Huz
love

Hey, just so you know, this is a thread for Catholic to hang out. Not for us to have abuse thrown at us.

Peace and love in Christ
Reply 4358
Original post by rac1
Hope it was good? I've been amazed how many Catholic youth events there are over here.:eek::biggrin:

Then you should start going to some of them!
Actually, I wasn't massively blown away by Brightlights. I think it might have been better if I'd not spent this year with a lot of formation, but it wasn't deep enough for me. Here's hoping invocation will be better...

Having said that, there were definite gems of gold in the talks at Brightlights and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone else.

Original post by rac1
lol, I wouldn't mind seeing what Latin mass is like one day at least just for the experience:biggrin:

Went to a tridentine Mass once. Loved the Latin part of it, really didn't like the tridentine bit of it... May just be me, but I didn't really feel like I was part of the Mass.

In one of those 'stuff catholics say' videos on youtube a girl says "I haven't been to confession in like six hours" and the boy next to her goes "i haven't been to confession in like six years...is that bad?:confused:" lol

Up until WYD last year I hadn't been for about 15 years :colondollar:
But I don't feel quite so bad now, because a priest at Brightlights was talking about how he had someone come to confession when he was dying, having not been for 50 years!
Reply 4359
Good on you for standing up for the faith, even if it was just pulling a :lolwut: face and announcing that you're a Catholic :woo:

Thanks:smile: lol. I also told him that the Pope isn't infallible every time he speaks:smile: i hope I've inspired him to check things out, that would be GREAT:biggrin::biggrin:

Original post by Aula
The Anglican vicar sounds like such a shame. That's part of how people think bad things about Catholics - because they only hear partial truths, or sometimes downright lies. It can do such damage.
On which note, has anyone heard if Catholic voices? It might be something some of you want to look into. I'm on my phone, or I'd type up more about it, but it's probably worth googling if you're interested in defending Catholicism.

I know:frown: I was hoping there would be a Catholic priest there but we would have needed an hour to get through all the paedophilia, Mary, Trinity, statues, homosexuality questions :frown:. It was quite funny to me at least because at one point he said that the CofE tries to adapt to society around it, I was like what kind of Church is that?! (in my head:smile:)

I didn't know Catholic Voices was formed in 2010! maybe I'll join when I'm older. :smile:

Quick Reply