The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6980
Original post by peony flowers
Happy All Saints Day (tomorrow!)

I'd like to join here, if you all don't mind. Feeling rather lonely atm!

Of course, you're very welcome :h:

All Saints is tomorrow this year guys :ninja:
All Saints is tomorrow this year guys :colondollar:

Ooops!

Thanks for the welcome, very appreciated.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I wasn't surprised either! :nah: Just disappointed, that's all! :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

the marvellous thing about Holy Mother Church is that She is not swayed by the ridiculous fashions of the secular world. it is very disappointing to hear the Holy Father sounding like Oprah Winfrey.
Original post by mscaffrey
I haven't actually posted in this thread before (I'm usually over here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2409899&page=201&p=51308535#post51308535) but I often lurk here as someone who's considering converting to Catholicism (from Church of England) so I'll say hello while there's another new person here. :hello:

Hi! Just curious what your reasons are. Do you think the CofE is too liberal? Is there much of a difference between CofE and Catholicism?
Happy All Saints Day (tomorrow!)

I'd like to join here, if you all don't mind. Feeling rather lonely atm!

:wavey:

Welcome to Cath Soc! Though sorry you are feeling lonely :frown: Big hugs from here! We're a bit of a quiet bunch but hopefully you'll soon see that this is a good place to be :h:

I haven't actually posted in this thread before (I'm usually over here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2409899&page=201&p=51308535#post51308535) but I often lurk here as someone who's considering converting to Catholicism (from Church of England) so I'll say hello while there's another new person here. :hello:

Happy All Saints' Day! And to you (and everyone who feels lonely) I extend my warmest thoughts and prayers.

:hi:

Good to see you in here! The more the merrier! Unless one is a noobface, in which case one is not welcome :nothing: But I hereby christen you a non-noobface, so all is good :biggrin:

Original post by the bear
the marvellous thing about Holy Mother Church is that She is not swayed by the ridiculous fashions of the secular world. it is very disappointing to hear the Holy Father sounding like Oprah Winfrey.

I don't much watch Oprah so can't judge :teehee:
Original post by Aula
Of course, you're very welcome :h:

All Saints is tomorrow this year guys :ninja:

Am I allowed to blame the people on my Twitter timeline for misleading me?

Original post by Samual
Hi! Just curious what your reasons are. Do you think the CofE is too liberal? Is there much of a difference between CofE and Catholicism?

There isn't a huge difference between the C of E Church I used to go to (which was high Anglican-there was a big Catholic influence, and we celebrated most of the holidays/festivals that people would consider Catholic) and Catholic Churches, but my main problem is that the C of E seems to differ so much from parish to parish and priest to priest in terms of what they preach and how the Church is set up. I know that Catholic parishes will have their own personalities and quirks too, but I like that there's a central figure and doctrine that is perhaps more widely agreed on/preached (even when people maybe don't agree with it completely) than what I've witnessed in the Church of England. In some senses I'm quite liberal with my beliefs, and in others I'm more traditional, so I wouldn't say that I find the C of E too liberal in all respects, it's more the consistency of beliefs that I'm interested in. I also love the music that I grew up with in my Church, and the festivals we celebrated, and I think I'm most likely to find that in the Catholic Church now. On top of all that I've been looking into the religious life and most orders I find myself drawn to are in the Catholic Church too.

So basically there are a lot of reasons I've been considering the change. I'm planning on attending services at my local Catholic Church from next week and if I decide to go ahead and convert I know that the university I'm planning on going to from September next year offers confirmation classes and has an active Catholic Society so I'll be able to continue the process while there.

:hi:

Good to see you in here! The more the merrier! Unless one is a noobface, in which case one is not welcome :nothing: But I hereby christen you a non-noobface, so all is good :biggrin:

I feel blessed to have been christened a non-noobface. Thank you :biggrin:
Thanks the Lonely Goatherd, you all seem so kind and lovely!

I think I'm going to pray to St Teresa tomorrow and ask for her guidance :smile:
Reply 6987
Am I allowed to blame the people on my Twitter timeline for misleading me?

Definitely :h:

It's also different in various places, but in England and Wales and America the feast day has been transmuted to tomorrow, otherwise today would have been a Holy Day of Obligation. When it's the day before or after its easier to move it to the closest Sunday. (:rolleyes:)

There isn't a huge difference between the C of E Church I used to go to (which was high Anglican-there was a big Catholic influence, and we celebrated most of the holidays/festivals that people would consider Catholic) and Catholic Churches, but my main problem is that the C of E seems to differ so much from parish to parish and priest to priest in terms of what they preach and how the Church is set up. I know that Catholic parishes will have their own personalities and quirks too, but I like that there's a central figure and doctrine that is perhaps more widely agreed on/preached (even when people maybe don't agree with it completely) than what I've witnessed in the Church of England. In some senses I'm quite liberal with my beliefs, and in others I'm more traditional, so I wouldn't say that I find the C of E too liberal in all respects, it's more the consistency of beliefs that I'm interested in. I also love the music that I grew up with in my Church, and the festivals we celebrated, and I think I'm most likely to find that in the Catholic Church now. On top of all that I've been looking into the religious life and most orders I find myself drawn to are in the Catholic Church too.

So basically there are a lot of reasons I've been considering the change. I'm planning on attending services at my local Catholic Church from next week and if I decide to go ahead and convert I know that the university I'm planning on going to from September next year offers confirmation classes and has an active Catholic Society so I'll be able to continue the process while there.

yay!

Also, nice to see you over here, and welcome to the thread and all that jazz. I meant to say it in my earlier post, but got distracted by something :colondollar:
Reply 6988

I think I'm going to pray to St Teresa tomorrow and ask for her guidance :smile:

Or... Tomorrow you could pray to...

ALL THE SAINTS

:awesome:
:biggrin:

I like to feel that I 'know' a saint, does that sound silly?

Hi, I know this isn't 'ask a Catholic' thread but would anyone mind if I please ask something?

Where in the bible does it say to pray to saints?

As I understand it everyone, baring those in the bible mentioned who have gone to heaven, are all 'in limbo' awaiting judgement. The bible says we don't need an intermediate and can go straight to the throne room of God?

1 Timothy 2:5 - For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus

Where do you believe the saints you pray to are? In Heaven?

Thank you:colondollar: (I'm not a NF by the way)
Reply 6991
Original post by Racoon
Hi, I know this isn't 'ask a Catholic' thread but would anyone mind if I please ask something?

Where in the bible does it say to pray to saints?

As I understand it everyone, baring those in the bible mentioned who have gone to heaven, are all 'in limbo' awaiting judgement. The bible says we don't need an intermediate and can go straight to the throne room of God?

1 Timothy 2:5 - For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus

Where do you believe the saints you pray to are? In Heaven?

Thank you:colondollar: (I'm not a NF by the way)

A brief explanation is okay by me, but if you want further discussion, best to take it to ask a christian (or whatever that thread is called, I never can remember!)

Do you ever ask your friends to pray for you? Do you ever ask people on here to pray for you?

The way I've always understood it, it's the same concept. It's just that the Saints are closer to God. For someone to be called a saint (in recent times anyway) certain criteria has to be met, including miracles to have been performed by asking that Saint to pray for whatever the cause was. These miracles are, to us, proof that they must be in heaven with God.

So yes, we could just go straight to God, but by praying 'to' the saints (and I use the word to because there isn't a better one, although with would also work) we have more people praying for us.

I believe there is some support for it in the Bible somewhere, but right now I cannot remember. Also, remember that for Catholics we have Scripture, Tradition and Magisterium - the Bible is not the only source for finding the truth of God.

(Also, NF?)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aula
A brief explanation is okay by me, but if you want further discussion, best to take it to ask a christian (or whatever that thread is called, I never can remember!)

Do you ever ask your friends to pray for you? Do you ever ask people on here to pray for you?

The way I've always understood it, it's the same concept. It's just that the Saints are closer to God. For someone to be called a saint (in recent times anyway) certain criteria has to be met, including miracles to have been performed by asking that Saint to pray for whatever the cause was. These miracles are, to us, proof that they must be in heaven with God.

So yes, we could just go straight to God, but by praying 'to' the saints (and I use the word to because there isn't a better one, although with would also work) we have more people praying for us.

I believe there is some support for it in the Bible somewhere, but right now I cannot remember. Also, remember that for Catholics we have Scripture, Tradition and Magisterium - the Bible is not the only source for finding the truth of God.

(Also, NF?)

I have someone in my family (married in) who is Catholic therefore I am intrigued by some of the rituals or differences to my faith and I would like to know where they come from and why he follows them (for want of a better word).

Thank you very much for the reply. Yes I do ask friends to pray when I have a special need for prayer but I take it from the verse in Matthew 22 which says

19"Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. 20"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."

And also in John 14 - 13"Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14"If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.

So agreeing with friends on earth and asking in Jesus name alone.

I apologise in advance and don't want to upset anyone on here with my questions but isn't focusing when praying on someone else, and not to Jesus alone, glorifying them above Jesus, to whom the bible says the glory goes to?

But of course if you follow other books, and not the bible alone, then I see you can follow a different trail on things. Although as the bible says that all Scripture is God-Breathed, adequate alone for us and inspired by God so therefore nothing else is needed.

…15and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work

I think the bible both in the OT and NT says we are all saints if we have Christ in our lives - 1 Cor “To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

Paul named the believers saints in nearly every church

Ps 16:3 As for the saints who are on the earth, “They are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.”

Phil. 4:21-22: Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren who are with me greet you. All the saints greet you

(lol NF was in reference to something TLG said above - it needs no reply:wink:)
Can we take the praying to saints questions elsewhere? This is the one thread where I don't have to justify my actions to others, including other Christians, and I'd like to keep this thread that way :erm:

I feel blessed to have been christened a non-noobface. Thank you :biggrin:

:teehee: :biggrin: :awesome:

Ooh which St Teresa? There are so many :eek: I lose track :o:

Btw, not at all silly to want to connect with a particular saint :nah: I only pray for the intercession of a few saints, for example. Am particularly fond of St Therese of Lisieux :h:
Guys pls if you could pray for our family friend. She passed away earlier today and though she is in a better place, her family are having a hard time. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
Guys pls if you could pray for our family friend. She passed away earlier today and though she is in a better place, her family are having a hard time. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So sorry to hear about this :frown: Thanks for letting us all know. I will certainly pray :sadnod:
So sorry to hear about this :frown: Thanks for letting us all know. I will certainly pray :sadnod:

Thank you. It's a sad day and it was so unexpected.

Also while I'm here I could also do with prayers. I'm not doing great physically and I'm quite scared. :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
Thank you. It's a sad day and it was so unexpected.

Also while I'm here I could also do with prayers. I'm not doing great physically and I'm quite scared. :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will add your own intention to my prayers :sadnod: I'm doing uni work today but will be here and on Facebook on and off if a small chat would help. Afraid I can't chat for too long though coz I'm seriously behind :sad:
Original post by The Epicurean
I don't think it is in the least bit surprising. Catholicism is generally a rather socially conservative religion and this is due to the fact that those higher up within the Church are mostly older men. These are men who would have largely grown up in societies/communities where such socially conservative views were common. Younger generations have always been the ones to generally turn against such socially conservative ideals and to embrace more newer socially liberal ideals.

I do however believe that a generation or two along, when today's younger priests who have grown up with more socially liberal ideals because the Churches leaders, that the Catholic Church will experience a changing stance towards such issues.

Sorry to butt in, I'm new to this thread

I agree with you to some extent. I feel like us Catholics are always portrayed as this really closed and conservative religion, which actually bothers me. Yes, it is true that we are conservative regarding certain matters, but having grown up in a mostly Catholic country (Portugal) has never made me see our religion in that light. I know that there are groups for catholic gay people, and for Catholic divorced people too. The Church does not shun them despite its conservative stance in these matters. I don't see that in many Christian churches in America, for example, even though we're the 'conservative' and closed ones.
Will add your own intention to my prayers :sadnod: I'm doing uni work today but will be here and on Facebook on and off if a small chat would help. Afraid I can't chat for too long though coz I'm seriously behind :sad:

I'll be ok dw. Just a few issues with health. I'll tell you about it on fb at some point (too sensitive to put on here) hope you're ok and good luck with uni work :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending