The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

I agree with deej that the main turn off for people if the archaic nature of the church, what is needed is a modern face that comprehnsively covers the church but not isolating existing members and not turning away frm the teachings in the bible. We can remain true to the Bible AND appeal to a modern audience at the same time.
Reply 61
yawn
You're in good company with that statement! :biggrin:

Pope Benedict XVI said more or less the same thing: "Truth is not subject to majority opinion".

Of course, he was coming from the opposite direction to you. :wink:

Indeed, thought about using that quote, but then thought again
Reply 62
yawn
There are those who would try to bring their own atheistic agendas here.

*looks around*

cant see any :p:
Reply 63
EnglishDude
As regards the comment that China remains an atheist country. In fact, the underground faith is immensely strong. There are around 7 million Roman Catholics in China alone and the faith is growing everyday as in Malyasia. Yet due to Communist regime this is repressed. Sometimes this makes people appreciate their faith; we should consider how lucky we are to be 'free' to have faith and even the opportunity to sit!

I dont deny that china has religious people, but it is an atheist country becuase that is the national 'religion' (for want of a better word). We are a christian country (supposedly) yet there are many atheists and people of different beliefs
Reply 64
EnglishDude
A world without God is unfathomable.

The world is sometimes quite hard to understand, but not unfathomable :p:
Reply 65
EnglishDude
Statistically you are better off to believe in God considering the negative effects if you didn't. I believe this is Wenger's theory- correct me if I'm wrong.

Isnt that Pascal's wager?

Anyways, there are some serious flaws in that. Firstly it assumes that it is not a waste of your life when you could have been living it to the full, and secondly it assumes that living a life worshipping a fake god in spite of the truth is not a bad thing.

A good quote from homer simpson: 'but marge, what if we've chosen the wrong god, we're just making the real one madder and madder!'
Reply 66
Bugger, automerge isnt working...
Reply 67
rpotter
*looks around*

cant see any :p:

"You shall know them by their mark". :smile:

Don't know if that is so, but it sounds sufficiently sombre.
Reply 68
rpotter
Bugger, automerge isnt working...

Now you say that....it isn't working since the grand download of the new software.

I wonder if the mods have picked up on it.
Reply 69
deej2
Christ never taught against contraception though.

Have a look at this website and also, if you go to the Vatican's website and search for 'Humanae Vitae (Pope Paul Vi's encyclical) you will be guided to the relevant part of the Bible where the teachings are espoused.

http://www.catholic.net/rcc/Periodicals/Faith/11-12-98/Morality2.html

St Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica also highlights the theology of reproduction. :smile:
Reply 70
deej2
Also
Logo wise, what do people think of as the logo?

i like the logo!
hello everyone, sorry i havent been up to much on here- just been busy. i will update the member list fairly soon.
in case you are wondering about my 2 red gems, someone with a strong rep power neg repped me saying my adherance to the catholic views on condoms was basically outdated and backward.

also i someone on another thread posted this:

blah
You are being misleading Shinytoy. Please get your facts straight about your own religion!
According to the Catholic Church, sex should only take place as a means of reproduction within a marriage. Pleasure is only a consequence. According to the Catholic church, you should not have "escaping pregnancy" on your mind. Therefore, ALL methods of contraception are wrong, incuding the Rhythm method.

Of course, even though I am a Catholic, I don't believe in what the Church teaches, just stating it for your information.

is this true? i thought the rhythm method was accepted.
Reply 71
deej2
Im Catholic, and Im applying to become a priest, so do I qualify?

wow, well done deej - do you mind me asking, what drew you to making that choice in life especially at our youthful age?

EnglishDude
As regards the comment that China remains an atheist country. In fact, the underground faith is immensely strong. There are around 7 million Roman Catholics in China alone and the faith is growing everyday as in Malyasia. Yet due to Communist regime this is repressed. Sometimes this makes people appreciate their faith; we should consider how lucky we are to be 'free' to have faith and even the opportunity to sit!
A world without God is unfathomable.
Statistically you are better off to believe in God considering the negative effects if you didn't. I believe this is Wenger's theory- correct me if I'm wrong.
Recently published figures suggest that Church attendance in Ireland has plummeted. However, I do not feel too concerned about this since love of God is not a matter of statistics. The Pope stated on WYD that he would rather have a purer, even if that means smaller, Church. I believe this too.
What do you think?

i think its better to have a smaller purer church. what drew me to Catholicism was its rigid requirements and adhereance to teachings, scrpitures and certainty
Reply 72
shinytoy
wow, well done deej - do you mind me asking, what drew you to making that choice in life especially at our youthful age?

God, in the most purest answer.
I do believe that I have received a calling from God to do this.
And no, the rhythm method isnt allowed, as sex should be performed inside marriage with the aim of conceiving a child.
Reply 73
Incidentally, are you going to add the RC Soc to the Societies list now we have a logo and a thread?
Reply 74
deej2
God, in the most purest answer.
I do believe that I have received a calling from God to do this.
And no, the rhythm method isnt allowed, as sex should be performed inside marriage with the aim of conceiving a child.

Many young people feel they are called by God to join the Religious.

Entry to a seminary is by tough assessment as not all who feel a 'calling' are suitable and many are asked to go and reflect some more on whether their calling is genuine.

Regarding the Church's position on natural methods of contraception - I despair at some of the misinformation that our members appear to have.

shinytoy - natural methods of family planning is entirely acceptable to the Catholic Church and if you care to browse this encyclical "Humanae Vitae" by Pope Paul VI, particularly paras 14 and 16 you will see that what I say is the truth.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html
We need to keep this forum going!
I was wondering who actually attends mass weekly on here?
I for one do everyweek.
Would go everyday if I could, yet my parish weekday masses are in the morning- when I'm at school.
What about you guys?
Also, what do you think about pilgrimages? Have you been on one? Would you ever consider going on one?
Reply 76
EnglishDude
I for one do everyweek.
Would go everyday if I could, yet my parish weekday masses are in the morning- when I'm at school.
What about you guys?
Also, what do you think about pilgrimages? Have you been on one? Would you ever consider going on one?

I go to the youth mass every staurday evening (the Vigil Mass).
I am going on a pilgrimage to Lourdes this summer as a helper.
I'm going to Lourdes too in May to be a helper of the sick and infirm.
It should be a rewarding experience.
I've never been before.
I have been on a few pilgrimages, but more local ones.
Reply 78
EnglishDude
I for one do everyweek.
What about you guys?

I attend weekly Mass and sometimes I manage to get to daily Mass but not as often as I would wish. The congregation at the daily Mass has a different atmosphere to Sunday's. We usually start with the recitation of 5 decades of the Rosary, or in a different church, with readings from the Psalms which gives a greater knowledge into the Old Testament - something that is often lacking and criticised for, in the Catholic Church.
Yeah - you're right that most Churches have their weekday Masses in the morning - greater prospects of more people being able to attend I guess.
Regarding pilgrimages: I have been to Knock in Co. Mayo, Ireland and also to Fatima - both times as an independent traveller. I would love to go to Lourdres (St. Bernadette is my Confirmation saint) but have not had the opportunity to. I must make a promise to myself to get there one day.
Our school is arranging a trip to Medjugore this April and lots of the 6th formers are going.
Did you know that, regarding Lourdres - there is a society that arranges for 6th formers to act as 'helpers' for the infirm. Some schools have signed up to it - has yours?
I will try to find the relevant website.
Yes, that's what I'm doing this year.
I know what you mean about the Old Testament- I feel I've neglected it too.
Do you prefer to atmosphere at weekday masses?
I enjoy Sunday masses with the music and insence, etc.
But all masses are powerful and we are privalleged to be able to go.
Did anybody do anything yesterday as it was Candlemas- presentation of the Lord. Our parish held a watch with the Blessed sacrament. I supported it. What about you lot? I felt it was a very special day that should be made obligatory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending