The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
EnglishDude
Yes, that's what I'm doing this year.
I know what you mean about the Old Testament- I feel I've neglected it too.
Do you prefer to atmosphere at weekday masses?
I enjoy Sunday masses with the music and insence, etc.
But all masses are powerful and we are privalleged to be able to go.
Did anybody do anything yesterday as it was Candlemas- presentation of the Lord. Our parish held a watch with the Blessed sacrament. I supported it. What about you lot? I felt it was a very special day that should be made obligatory.

There is a sense of intimacy at week day Masses that is not so noticeable at Sunday Mass - but I do like the music that accompanies the Mass on Sunday. We have a church (abbey) that has a Mass on Sunday in Latin with all the incense and thuribles etc. I love it, but not the incense since it aggravates my asthma - and obviously the chests of other worshippers, since the coughing increases as the thurible 'swings!.
I like to hear a good homily since the words that the priest says seems to apply to one, personally. I come out of church with a prayerful heart and a sense of fulfilment along with a soaring happiness.
I didn't get to church yesterday but attended the feast of St. Blaise. It is a bit of a worry when the lit candles are held either side of one's face, but no accidents with hair been engulfed in flames?
Does your church have regular Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament?
Reply 81
deej2
I go to the youth mass every staurday evening (the Vigil Mass).
I am going on a pilgrimage to Lourdes this summer as a helper.

That's good timing for a Youth Mass - it gives the opportunity to observe the obligation for Mass at a time that means one can go out afterwards and enjoy the company of others, plus no getting up early on Sunday morning for Mass!
I hope you enjoy the service you can give to the less able in Lourdes.
Reply 82
yawn
That's good timing for a Youth Mass - it gives the opportunity to observe the obligation for Mass at a time that means one can go out afterwards and enjoy the company of others, plus no getting up early on Sunday morning for Mass!
I hope you enjoy the service you can give to the less able in Lourdes.

Alot of people go to Mass and then go out from Mass, and as we are only 5 minutes from the Metrolink which will get people into Manchester within 10 minutes, its quite good.
Reply 83
deej2
Alot of people go to Mass and then go out from Mass, and as we are only 5 minutes from the Metrolink which will get people into Manchester within 10 minutes, its quite good.

That is a good incentive!:smile:
Yes a lot of young go to mass on sat night at our parish, before heading off to the boozer!
I think Mass is one of the most amazing experiences on Earth- closest we can get to God!
A good homily inspires me for the week, brings the Gospel alive and to the modern day.
Reply 85
EnglishDude
Yes a lot of young go to mass on sat night at our parish, before heading off to the boozer!
I think Mass is one of the most amazing experiences on Earth- closest we can get to God!
A good homily inspires me for the week, brings the Gospel alive and to the modern day.

My homilies get applause :biggrin:
Reply 86
Why arent we on the Soc list yet?
Has shinytoy not registered us?
Reply 87
Hmm regarding pilgramages to Lourdes, what do you guys think about the fact that you are more likely to get sick than healed by going to Lourdes?
Reply 88
rpotter
Hmm regarding pilgramages to Lourdes, what do you guys think about the fact that you are more likely to get sick than healed by going to Lourdes?

How does that work?
The majority of people who go to Lourdes are terminally ill or infirm. The most common disease there is cancer, which last time I checked, couldnt be caught via pushing a wheelchair.
I find your comment rpotter highly disrespectful and irreverent as it plays upon people's ailments!
If you do not accept Lourdes, or anything else to do with the Catholic Church then don't bother spending time on this section of the forum.
Reply 90
EnglishDude
I find your comment rpotter highly disrespectful and irreverent as it plays upon people's ailments!
If you do not accept Lourdes, or anything else to do with the Catholic Church then don't bother spending time on this section of the forum.

Post report it.
EnglishDude
We need to keep this forum going!
I was wondering who actually attends mass weekly on here?
I for one do everyweek.
Would go everyday if I could, yet my parish weekday masses are in the morning- when I'm at school.
What about you guys?
Also, what do you think about pilgrimages? Have you been on one? Would you ever consider going on one?

Nice set of questions.
Yep, I go to mass every Sunday. My uni has a mass on campus that's well attended by students, and we're also very fortunate to have a thriving Catholic society. Mass every day would be nice, but the only daily masses I've been to have felt so rushed that I didn't really feel the benefit of going to them.
As regards to pilgrimages, I went to Taize in the summer. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and spending thirty minutes a day in silent prayer enabled me to reach places spiritually that I'd never found before. :smile:
Reply 92
awkward_eagle
I went to Taize in the summer. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and spending thirty minutes a day in silent prayer enabled me to reach places spiritually that I'd never found before. :smile:

How wonderful! I have never had the opportunity to go to Taize - is it easily arranged?

Our Parish sometimes has a Taize Mass, the church being lit only by candles and the singing of the Taize hymns - I really enjoy it.

I am fortunate to live not too far from Aylesford Priory and the monks sing Vespers and Compline in Latin. It is lovely to join in the whole spiritual experience and feel the sense of inner peace.
yawn
How wonderful! I have never had the opportunity to go to Taize - is it easily arranged?

I went with a group of people from the South West after seeing the trip advertised at the back of church (well, my best friend saw it cos I was away at uni, but you get my drift!). Most people travel to Taize in groups, but I suppose it would be possible to go alone. The Taize website has a list of groups going to Taize in 2006 with contact details for the group leader. http://www.taize.fr/en_article187.html
Reply 94
hi....i was brought up catholic....my mums catholic and my dads cofe...im still sort of deciding which im gonna be really....i got to a cofe church with my friends at uni but still go to the catholic church with my mum at home sometimes.....i went to a catholic convent primary and secondary schools....just wanted to post to say...ive been to Lourdes to...i went as a helper for HCPT..handicapped childrens pilgrimage trust....it was a lovely rewarding experience and loads of fun...i dont know what on earth rpotter is on about...as most of the children i went with were born with their disabilities...or otherwise problems like cancer.....but they still are inspiring little rays of sunshine....most of the time..lol..its tiring work too....but to everyone going to lourdes this summer have loads of fun....and anyone thinking bout going to lourdes...think about going with HCPT...they go at about easter time..i heard of it through my school but there were volunteers of all ages..i was the youngest at 17 in a group (not directly connected with my school) with volunteers up to those in their 50s.....but the other group from my school were all people in the year above me. ...also ive been to aylesford priory.....i always like going to quiet retreat type places like that....i wish there was more......they just feel so holy and beautiful......

also refering to a conversation a few pages ago....i think although the catholic church should stick to the bible etc. maybe it should think about moving with the times...after all i thought that was one of the things jesus taught us......like he said dont stick to every letter of the law type thing.....but obviously i can understand peoples concerns that moving with the times could mean loss of some important values....hmmmm its a tricky one really
Reply 95
EnglishDude

calm down, just stating a fact and asking what you thought of it
It is not a fact
Reply 97
what are u on about rpotter...how is that a fact.....i think you are gonna need to provide more evidence about your "fact"......seeing as its nonsense.....lourdes is such an amazing and holy place....u feel great/more relaxed or whatever..when u get back....thats makes u less likely to get ill....and u cant say u catching things off all the "ill" cause as far as i know u cant catch stuff like downs syndrome (chromosomal defect) etc...
rpotter- it is an assertion, not fact
Reply 99
Nope there was a study (cant find it atm, will post it when/if I can) that showed that you were more likely to catch an illness that proved fatal whilst there than you were to be cured. Basically becuse many of the people who visit there are very weak, even a small illness can prove to be fatal, and lourdes isnt exactly a sterilised environment with so many people about. Of course I'm not talking about catching things like cancer or downs syndrome, sorry I should have explained myself better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending