The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

You're asking for their help. that isn't worship
Original post by stargirl63
Hey I'm Catholic, been brought up in a Catholic family, etc.

I just want to ask these questions to make sense of a few things.

We aren't supposed to worship any other God besides Him, The Almighty, then why is it that we worship and pray to Virgin Mary, Saints etc..? It does sort of confuse me.

Also, we aren't supposed to idolise God, but yet there are statues etc. everywhere around the Church that I go to. I just don't really understand what we are supposed to be doing.

Any helpful insight will be appreciated!

Firstly we don't worship out Blessed Lady or any of the saints. We simply ask them to pray for us; like you might ask a friend.

The commandment says not to make a graven image. On the subject of icons what is Christ if not the ultimate icon? Read George Weigel's Letters to a young Catholic for a full explaination :smile:
Reply 1122
Hey I'm Catholic, been brought up in a Catholic family, etc.

I just want to ask these questions to make sense of a few things.

We aren't supposed to worship any other God besides Him, The Almighty, then why is it that we worship and pray to Virgin Mary, Saints etc..? It does sort of confuse me.

Also, we aren't supposed to idolise God, but yet there are statues etc. everywhere around the Church that I go to. I just don't really understand what we are supposed to be doing.

Any helpful insight will be appreciated!

Look up Latria, Hyperdulia and Dulia for a start. That will answer your question on 'worship.'

Regarding the First Commandment "You Shall Not Make for Yourself a Graven Image..." check out our Catechism of Catholic Doctrine CCC2129 et seq particularly with emphasis on 2132.

The Christian veneration of images is not contrary to the first commandment which proscribes idols. Indeed, "the honor rendered to an image passes to its prototype," and "whoever venerates an image venerates the person portrayed in it." The honor paid to sacred images is a "respectful veneration," not the adoration due to God alone: Religious worship is not directed to images in themselves, considered as mere things, but under their distinctive aspect as images leading us on to God incarnate. The movement toward the image does not terminate in it as image, but tends toward that whose image it is.
And make more use of this sub-forum to learn more about your faith! :smile:
Original post by yawn
Look up Latria, Hyperdulia and Dulia for a start. That will answer your question on 'worship.'

Regarding the First Commandment "You Shall Not Make for Yourself a Graven Image..." check out our Catechism of Catholic Doctrine CCC2129 et seq particularly with emphasis on 2132.

And make more use of this sub-forum to learn more about your faith! :smile:

Great. Thank you so much!

I just tend to get a little confused here and there when I go to Church and read the Bible and stuff. If I don't ask these questions, I'll never really know.

Thanks so much to you, and the others who have answered my questions! :smile:
Reply 1124
Great. Thank you so much!

I just tend to get a little confused here and there when I go to Church and read the Bible and stuff. If I don't ask these questions, I'll never really know.

Thanks so much to you, and the others who have answered my questions! :smile:

I am only too pleased to have had the privilege to help you. I do sometimes despair of the teaching offered to Catholics during their school years as the Catholic syllabus seems to concentrate more on things other than Catholic doctrine thus leaving us ignorant and confused about matters...especially those accusations thrown at our faces by ill-informed non-Catholics...who themselves are just as confused as we can be!

To give you a start on the three type of worship, I've found a link which is very succinct. http://www.secondexodus.com/html/catholicdefinitions/hyperdulia.htm

You might want to also look for a link that is more expansive that this one.

God bless :smile:
Original post by yawn
I am only too pleased to have had the privilege to help you. I do sometimes despair of the teaching offered to Catholics during their school years as the Catholic syllabus seems to concentrate more on things other than Catholic doctrine thus leaving us ignorant and confused about matters...especially those accusations thrown at our faces by ill-informed non-Catholics...who themselves are just as confused as we can be!

Couldn't have put it better myself! It's people like that who make me start to get confused, and then I look like a bit of an idiot trying to explain, then getting more and more confused and then being accused of being "not a real Catholic". :redface: I don't really know how to answer them, which is why I'm really trying to dedicate a lot more time to reading and learning more about Catholism.

I also do agree on the school education. I was in a Catholic school from the start, through just before sixth form. I'm actually quite suprised on how many years of Catholic education has left me pretty clueless about basic aspects of what we believe in and how we differ from other Christians.
That's why converting's great. You do it as an adult and have to learn it fresh from big meaty books B)
Reply 1127
Original post by adamrules247
That's why converting's great. You do it as an adult and have to learn it fresh from big meaty books B)

I'm inclined to agree. Adults have more impetus to ensure they learn the doctrine and the reasons why before they even consider conversion, whereas 'cradle Catholics' don't have the same motivation unless they are faced with defending their faith.

I hope your journey in faith is going well, Adam.:smile:
Original post by yawn
I'm inclined to agree. Adults have more impetus to ensure they learn the doctrine and the reasons why before they even consider conversion, whereas 'cradle Catholics' don't have the same motivation unless they are faced with defending their faith.

I hope your journey in faith is going well, Adam.:smile:

Very well thank you, RCIA classs still a little dull but getting better. We took part in some Eucharistic adoration which was an excellent thing to do.

Been introduced to a super Traditionalist Cathoilc priest who was an assistant to Cardinal Pell as well which has been ace. Invited me out to Italy with him.

Yep. T'is a good journey thank you :awesome:
Reply 1129
Original post by adamrules247
Very well thank you, RCIA classs still a little dull but getting better. We took part in some Eucharistic adoration which was an excellent thing to do.

I always find that Eucharistic adoration inculcates within me, a sense of absolute calm and serenity...as well as a reinforcing of my faith. For those Catholics who haven't taken part in this, there will be ample opportunity, particularly during Passion Week to do so.

Been introduced to a super Traditionalist Cathoilc priest who was an assistant to Cardinal Pell as well which has been ace. Invited me out to Italy with him.

Was Cardinal Pell eventually appointed as Prefect to the Congregation for Bishops? I know that there were grave concerns at the political shenanigans to try to prevent his appointment on spurious grounds becase of his loyalty to Pope Benedict. What a marvellous offer to go to Italy...I hope you've accepted!

Yep. T'is a good journey thank you :awesome:

Remember that we are all on the faith journey too. It is a life-long one for all of us. :smile:
Original post by yawn
I always find that Eucharistic adoration inculcates within me, a sense of absolute calm and serenity...as well as a reinforcing of my faith. For those Catholics who haven't taken part in this, there will be ample opportunity, particularly during Passion Week to do so.

I've often struggled with the Adoration of the Eucharist but found it a very moving experience when I did it in Lourdes last July :smile: Not attempted it since (largely due to not being able to deal with religious buildings) but hopefully it'll be as peaceful next time I do it :o:
Reply 1131
RC Primary, RC Secondary and RC College and studying RS?
Do i qualify?
I'm still a catholic, but don't practice as often as i should tbqh :smile:
I'm a strange mix of catholic and old beliefs. I believe in faith itself rather than religion and have (through experimenting as TLG knows :p: ) found that I can have a settling spiritual experience at mass and also on the top of a hill
Original post by kw316
RC Primary, RC Secondary and RC College and studying RS?
Do i qualify?
I'm still a catholic, but don't practice as often as i should tbqh :smile:

I don't practice much but I decided to join and say :hello: to people :smile:

Original post by Ethereal
I'm a strange mix of catholic and old beliefs. I believe in faith itself rather than religion and have (through experimenting as TLG knows :p: ) found that I can have a settling spiritual experience at mass and also on the top of a hill

That's quite similar to my attitudes :five:

I think God can be found anywhere and can pop up when you least expect Him to :jebus:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I don't practice much but I decided to join and say :hello: to people :smile:

That's quite similar to my attitudes :five:

I think God can be found anywhere and can pop up when you least expect Him to :jebus:

The spirit in all of us and in all around us :smile:
The spirit in all of us and in all around us :smile:

Indeed :smile:

I just wish I was better at recognising the spirit :frown:
Indeed :smile:

I just wish I was better at recognising the spirit :frown:

What you need is to stand in the moonlight in a forest or on a hill.
What you need is to stand in the moonlight in a forest or on a hill.

Possibly. I'm not allowed out unsupervised atm though and in any case am rather agoraphobic too :colondollar:

One day though :yes:
Possibly. I'm not allowed out unsupervised atm though and in any case am rather agoraphobic too :colondollar:

One day though :yes:

A small clearing :p:
A small clearing :p:

:awesome:

I'm hoping to spend much of the summer outdoors in the local park, if we can get my visual perception/hallucination problems under control :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending