The Student Room Group

Medicine Rejections Discussion Thread 2012 Entry

Seeing as there are people already discussing on this thread, this can be the official rejections discussion thread.

Sorry to all those with rejections. I know it sucks! :sadnod:

I feel overqualified to be on here having received 7 medicine rejections over 2 applications, but all it takes is that one offer!

I'm proof :smile:

Best of luck with your other choices, and hopefully this thread will be relatively quiet!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone know roughly when med schools give out rejections? Are they around the same time as when people get interview invites?
Reply 2
Roughly, i think from now, as they have the UKCAT, but anyone even close to borderline they won't reject until the end, but if it's obvious that someone is not borderline at a certain uni, a 400 UKCAT, 3 d prediction etc. they'll get rejected soon.

Soz for the grammar.
Reply 3
Original post by InkyOne

Original post by InkyOne
Roughly, i think from now, as they have the UKCAT, but anyone even close to borderline they won't reject until the end, but if it's obvious that someone is not borderline at a certain uni, a 400 UKCAT, 3 d prediction etc. they'll get rejected soon.

Soz for the grammar.

Okay, thanks. So basically, people who don't meet the minimum entry requirements will be rejected straight away/soonish and everyone else has to wait?
Reply 4
Original post by cbacba
Okay, thanks. So basically, people who don't meet the minimum entry requirements will be rejected straight away/soonish and everyone else has to wait?

That's basically how I understand it, but those with a UKCAT cutoff could reject ones that meet other entry requirements but are too far from the cutoff :s-smilie:
Original post by cbacba

Yeah, they first reject all of those who have failed to meet the basic entry requirements, e.g. B in English Language, Maths and Double Science.

They then rank people on interview, depending on what they think is important.

They then give out interviews.

Then then give offers to those who have performed best in the interview stage :smile:
Reply 6
i think in the next few weeks and maybe latest jan??
Reply 7
Original post by raniaasfar
i think in the next few weeks and maybe latest jan??

Not true. every one of my four rejections last year were after feb.. to last day of march :'(
Reply 8
Well, I haven't got an official rejection yet but I don't meet SGUL's UKCAT cut-off so don't know when they'll update it on track.
Reply 9
Original post by rozca
Not true. every one of my four rejections last year were after feb.. to last day of march :'(

It sucks you have to wait so long. You get your hopes up because so much time has gone and then you get a rejection :frown:
Reply 10
I have a question regarding SGUL's cut off

My UKCAT dosen't meet their standard (625), but its only 5 off

Despite the rest of my application being satisfactory, will I still be rejected?
Reply 11
Original post by Tench

Original post by Tench
I have a question regarding SGUL's cut off

My UKCAT dosen't meet their standard (625), but its only 5 off

Despite the rest of my application being satisfactory, will I still be rejected?

In their email, they said if you don't meet the cut-off then no interview.
Lol, stay optimistic, OP!
Reply 13
Original post by cbacba
In their email, they said if you don't meet the cut-off then no interview.

That's pretty strict, though, and I've heard of past applicants at SGUL that didn't meet the cut off and still got an interview
Reply 14
Original post by Tench
That's pretty strict, though, and I've heard of past applicants at SGUL that didn't meet the cut off and still got an interview

They didn't have a UKCAT cutt-off last year :redface:
Reply 15
Original post by Tench

Original post by Tench

Oh, really? Maybe they were really close like you. Good luck anyway.
Reply 16
Original post by ViceVersa

Original post by ViceVersa
They didn't have a UKCAT cutt-off last year :redface:

I know :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by ritchie888

Original post by ritchie888
Lol, stay optimistic, OP!

Lol, I'm trying. But I think it'll make the rejections even worse if I get my hopes up.
Reply 18
Original post by Tench

The cut-off is there for a reason.. (dont mean to sound rude) but if they were like oh well hes only 5 off lets give him an interview, theyd also have to interview everyone else whos 5 off and rest of the application satisfactory (and trust me there will be loads) so then the cut off is really 620 and not 625. But then someone with 615 might have your views.. get me? so yeah a cut-off is a cut-off. Yes it is gutting if you miss it marginally! but then again it feels great im sure if you scrape it marginally! Just goes to show don't take unnecessary risks if you don't want to face them :smile:

Why the negs? because you're the one thats slightly under the cut-off and taking this out on me? Most people don't find it hard to understand the concept of a 'cut-off', like i said before it is disappointing to be below it but that is the purpose of having it there, to easily discard some applications to make the admissions process more manageable - sorry that you are below it!

edit: 4 people are below a medical school cut-off!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by cbacba
I know :frown:

Its okay we're here :console:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending