The Student Room Group

King's College London Postgraduate Applications 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by aeterno
I'll be in the same dept as you - close enough! :tongue: (Applied for MA International Peace & Security)

Also have offers for the same dept (MA Intelligence & Int'l Security / MA Conflict, Security & Development) haven't yet decided though. Have an offer from UCL and Edinburgh (I did my undergrad in Scotland) so I'm trying to work out my options including financial.

Difficult decision though the War Studies dept seems to be unrivalled.
Reply 421
Original post by Bowtruckle
That's great! :biggrin: I was thinking of applying for this programme too as my second option but then luckily, I got into MA IR. Love the 'Funneh' part in your signature, by the way. Hilarious. :biggrin:

Both pretty good options :yep: I might see you in one of the modules (although I have no idea how I'm going to choose when it comes to it!) And thanks! :biggrin:

Original post by Okkervil
Also have offers for the same dept (MA Intelligence & Int'l Security / MA Conflict, Security & Development) haven't yet decided though. Have an offer from UCL and Edinburgh (I did my undergrad in Scotland) so I'm trying to work out my options including financial.

Difficult decision though the War Studies dept seems to be unrivalled.

I applied to MSc Security Studies at UCL as well but turned it down - didn't feel like I could turn down King's! :biggrin: (Well that and UCL took far too long to reply - after I'd paid the King's deposit :tongue:)
Original post by aeterno
Both pretty good options :yep: I might see you in one of the modules (although I have no idea how I'm going to choose when it comes to it!) And thanks! :biggrin:

I'm confused about the modules too. How does it all work anyway? Is whatever we choose easily available or is there some kind of profiling done or priority lists made for students?
Reply 423
I'm confused about the modules too. How does it all work anyway? Is whatever we choose easily available or is there some kind of profiling done or priority lists made for students?

I think you have to choose modules in order of preference and I'd assume it's on a first come first serve basis (although I can't be sure with this). I can imagine some popular ones filling up quite quickly (what these are I have no idea!). I'm not entirely sure - we'll just have to wait and see, I guess! :tongue:

Are you going to the open evening on the 23rd?
Original post by aeterno
I think you have to choose modules in order of preference and I'd assume it's on a first come first serve basis (although I can't be sure with this). I can imagine some popular ones filling up quite quickly (what these are I have no idea!). I'm not entirely sure - we'll just have to wait and see, I guess! :tongue:

Are you going to the open evening on the 23rd?

I just talked to a friend's friend who did an MA in International Relations at King's last year. He told me that they allot modules by some sort of a computer system because quite a few of the modules are in great demand and they want to be fair. Apparently, the "fashionable" courses (like Diplomacy) are the ones which you may not get easily. :tongue:

Haha, much as I'd like to, I cannot possibly come to the open evening. I'm an international student. Will probably only be landing in London towards the third week of September.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 425
Hi Everyone! So is anybody on here also going for an MA in Terrorism, Security and Society? Got my offer back in January (deferred from last year, sadly couldn't attend due to lack of funding) :smile:
Reply 426
I just talked to a friend's friend who did an MA in International Relations at King's last year. He told me that they allot modules by some sort of a computer system because quite a few of the modules are in great demand and they want to be fair. Apparently, the "fashionable" courses (like Diplomacy) are the ones which you may not get easily. :tongue:

Haha, much as I'd like to, I cannot possibly come to the open evening. I'm an international student. Will probably only be landing in London towards the third week of September.

That's interesting. I'm tempted to pick whichever ones don't have exams :ninja: Knowing my luck they'll probably all have exams or something :tongue:

Ah, didn't realise you were an international :tongue: Where are you from?
Original post by aeterno
That's interesting. I'm tempted to pick whichever ones don't have exams :ninja: Knowing my luck they'll probably all have exams or something :tongue:

Ah, didn't realise you were an international :tongue: Where are you from?

You mean that there are modules which have no exams? :s-smilie: How do they assess students then? Charm? Intelligence? Tact? Lord of the Rings trivia? :biggrin:

I am from India. I am guessing that you are a home student. Are you going to the open evening? What exactly happens on open evenings?
Reply 428
You mean that there are modules which have no exams? :s-smilie: How do they assess students then? Charm? Intelligence? Tact? Lord of the Rings trivia? :biggrin:

I am from India. I am guessing that you are a home student. Are you going to the open evening? What exactly happens on open evenings?

Coursework based modules :tongue: (Not sure if King's do them as well but I had quite a few of them for my BA) Although basing it on Lord of the Rings trivia could work :colone: Or Star Wars...but then they'll have to call themselves the Star Wars Studies dept :biggrin:

Yep I'm a home student but I'm also Indian :biggrin: Yeah I will be going - not sure exactly what's going to happen as I have yet to receive the schedule but it's supposed to be an opportunity to meet fellow students/talk to academics/find out a little more about the subject areas. It's only about ~2 hours which is perfect for my attention span :tongue:
Original post by aeterno
Coursework based modules :tongue: (Not sure if King's do them as well but I had quite a few of them for my BA) Although basing it on Lord of the Rings trivia could work :colone: Or Star Wars...but then they'll have to call themselves the Star Wars Studies dept :biggrin:

Yep I'm a home student but I'm also Indian :biggrin: Yeah I will be going - not sure exactly what's going to happen as I have yet to receive the schedule but it's supposed to be an opportunity to meet fellow students/talk to academics/find out a little more about the subject areas. It's only about ~2 hours which is perfect for my attention span :tongue:

Coursework based modules? That's interesting! I've never had those before. And haha, Star Wars department sounds actually appealing! :biggrin:

Oooh, and pleased to meet a fellow Indian! :biggrin: Born and bred in the UK?
Reply 430
Coursework based modules? That's interesting! I've never had those before. And haha, Star Wars department sounds actually appealing! :biggrin:

Oooh, and pleased to meet a fellow Indian! :biggrin: Born and bred in the UK?

:yep: Pretty much just essays/presentations and the like - less stress (for me anyway - I suck at exams :tongue:)

Yep, been here all my life :biggrin: Not very exciting haha! The first and only time I went to India, a cow pretty much ran into me - it was a painful experience! :tongue:
Original post by aeterno
:yep: Pretty much just essays/presentations and the like - less stress (for me anyway - I suck at exams :tongue:)

Yep, been here all my life :biggrin: Not very exciting haha! The first and only time I went to India, a cow pretty much ran into me - it was a painful experience! :tongue:

Hahaha! Oh, the holy cows. :tongue:

What are you planning to focus on during your MA?
Reply 432
Hello and congrats for the offers!I got a conditional offer which is upon achieving 75% in my bachelor degree for entry into the MSc in Financial Mathematics.I would like to ask you,if I got 70% are they going to offer me the place or they will reject me?(When I applied I wrote in the application that the expected GPA for my bachelor is 70%)
Thank you in advance.
Reply 433
Original post by dimitris1
Hello and congrats for the offers!I got a conditional offer which is upon achieving 75% in my bachelor degree for entry into the MSc in Financial Mathematics.I would like to ask you,if I got 70% are they going to offer me the place or they will reject me?(When I applied I wrote in the application that the expected GPA for my bachelor is 70%)
Thank you in advance.

I guess it would depend on what the competition will be. but usually a first is enough. best of luck mate!
Reply 434
Original post by Mchouse
I guess it would depend on what the competition will be. but usually a first is enough. best of luck mate!

thank you very much for your answer.!have you also applied for this course?I am very confused from the fact that they ask for 75%.their entry requirement is 2.1 which is equivalent of 65-69% in the UK(if I am wrong please correct me)!Maybe they ask me for such a high grade because I am from other country!!
Reply 435
thank you very much for your answer.!have you also applied for this course?I am very confused from the fact that they ask for 75%.their entry requirement is 2.1 which is equivalent of 65-69% in the UK(if I am wrong please correct me)!Maybe they ask me for such a high grade because I am from other country!!

i've applied for molecular biophysics, it's almost 2 weeks and haven't heard from them yet. i guess you're from a greek uni? they usually ask for 7,5 or 7,0...
Reply 436
Original post by Mchouse
i've applied for molecular biophysics, it's almost 2 weeks and haven't heard from them yet. i guess you're from a greek uni? they usually ask for 7,5 or 7,0...

The course that you have applied for seems very interesting with good academic and job prospects!For my course they answered to me in 5-weeks time!Yes I am from a greek uni!Are you also from Greece?
Reply 437
The course that you have applied for seems very interesting with good academic and job prospects!For my course they answered to me in 5-weeks time!Yes I am from a greek uni!Are you also from Greece?

yes it seems great! I hope i get in! I'm half greek but I graduated the UK system (Surrey and then Cambridge). Is your undergrad on mathematics? I did part III in cam and it was great! Financial maths will be a piece of cake for ya...
Reply 438
Hahaha! Oh, the holy cows. :tongue:

What are you planning to focus on during your MA?

I'm not entirely sure yet - I have a few ideas/areas of interest but I'm not set on anything as of yet. I want to do something different from my BA - just definitely not something with a historical basis! :tongue: How about you?
Reply 439
Original post by Mchouse
yes it seems great! I hope i get in! I'm half greek but I graduated the UK system (Surrey and then Cambridge). Is your undergrad on mathematics? I did part III in cam and it was great! Financial maths will be a piece of cake for ya...

Very nice.You have studied in great unis!I am in the final of a 4-year degree in Statistics and Actuarial Science!Financial maths are a little bit difficult but I think that in Greece we have stong background in maths!I wish you good luck with your application!I think that you will definitely get an offer!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending