The Student Room Group

King's College London Postgraduate Applications 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SoapyDish
I didn't get the studentship I applied for :frown:

:console:
Reply 41
Hey everyone! Been monitoring this thread for a while, and just thought I'd sign up to say I got my first offer today from King's for the China and Globalisation course! Conditional 2.1, soo happy! Anyone else applied for this course?
Does anybody know how competitive the AHRC funding process is at King's relative to say Oxbridge? Received an offer but now have to go through funding. Also what are the odds of accommodation for an Englishman who has lived in London for the last few years?
Original post by QMHistoryguy
Does anybody know how competitive the AHRC funding process is at King's relative to say Oxbridge? Received an offer but now have to go through funding. Also what are the odds of accommodation for an Englishman who has lived in London for the last few years?

it really depends...when I applied last year for a Masters in Classics, I was second for the AHRC in UCL (they only had one award :tongue:), I was interviewed for it by Cambridge (but didn't win in the end) and I was reserved for it in Oxford (and in the end got it :biggrin:)
My point is, King's is the worst of the four for my course but it was the only one that did not even consider me for funding. So yeah...I think it's a matter of luck as well as ability.

On another note, I am applying this year too, for a PhD in Classics. Hopefully this time I will at least be considered for a scholarship :biggrin:
Original post by Xristina
it really depends...when I applied last year for a Masters in Classics, I was second for the AHRC in UCL (they only had one award :tongue:), I was interviewed for it by Cambridge (but didn't win in the end) and I was reserved for it in Oxford (and in the end got it :biggrin:)
My point is, King's is the worst of the four for my course but it was the only one that did not even consider me for funding. So yeah...I think it's a matter of luck as well as ability.

On another note, I am applying this year too, for a PhD in Classics. Hopefully this time I will at least be considered for a scholarship :biggrin:

That's interesting. The course convenor at King's seemed very keen on my application during interview, however, I suppose it is best not to read too much into that. By 'reserved' for it at Oxford, do you mean you were placed on a waiting list? it is really good to have been awarded it!

You must be going through the anxious waiting game with your doctoral application at the moment then!
Original post by QMHistoryguy
That's interesting. The course convenor at King's seemed very keen on my application during interview, however, I suppose it is best not to read too much into that. By 'reserved' for it at Oxford, do you mean you were placed on a waiting list? it is really good to have been awarded it!

You must be going through the anxious waiting game with your doctoral application at the moment then!

reserved is basically a couple of candidates they select in case the original recipients of the award don't accept it or lose their offer.

I am not waiting...I am currently working on my application...
Did you apply for a master's?
Reply 46
:hi:

I've been stalking this thread...:ninja:

Got an offer for MA IPS :biggrin: They got back to me surprisingly quickly! :eek:

(Screw their 10% deposit rule though :colonhash:)
Original post by aeterno

Got an offer for MA IPS :biggrin: They got back to me surprisingly quickly! :eek:

Congrats :biggrin:
Original post by aeterno

what deposit rule?

Congratulations btw!! :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
Congrats :biggrin:

what deposit rule?

Congratulations btw!! :smile:

You have to pay 10% of last year's fees on accepting the offer :frown: There is a 10 day cooling off period though in case I change my mind :tongue:

And thanks :biggrin:
Original post by aeterno

You have to pay 10% of last year's fees on accepting the offer :frown: There is a 10 day cooling off period though in case I change my mind :tongue:

And thanks :biggrin:

do they give you a deadline on accepting the offer though? Also, what if in the end you are offered funding? they will return the money?
Reply 51
do they give you a deadline on accepting the offer though? Also, what if in the end you are offered funding? they will return the money?

Yep, I've got until 24th Jan (and I'm still waiting to hear back from others). They will return the deposit if you get funding (or if you don't meet the conditions) but not if you change your mind (unless you do it within 2 weeks after paying) - it even says that saying you have financial difficulties is not a valid reason to ask for the deposit back :s-smilie:
Original post by aeterno
Yep, I've got until 24th Jan (and I'm still waiting to hear back from others). They will return the deposit if you get funding (or if you don't meet the conditions) but not if you change your mind (unless you do it within 2 weeks after paying) - it even says that saying you have financial difficulties is not a valid reason to ask for the deposit back :s-smilie:

omg! when I applied last year I wasn't asked anything like that...maybe it's for your department only?? I worry now...King's answered very fast to my application last year...if they do the same now and they don't give me enough time to hear back from all the other unis+the funding possibilities it's gonna be a problem.
Reply 53
omg! when I applied last year I wasn't asked anything like that...maybe it's for your department only?? I worry now...King's answered very fast to my application last year...if they do the same now and they don't give me enough time to hear back from all the other unis+the funding possibilities it's gonna be a problem.

I think it is just for War Studies dept (not sure) because some courses do get longer deadlines. Have you applied yet?
Reply 54
Original post by aeterno
I think it is just for War Studies dept (not sure) because some courses do get longer deadlines. Have you applied yet?

No. I do not think so. You have to pay 10% as a deposit to secure your place. This is necessary for all the competitive courses.
Original post by aeterno

no, I am applying near the end of january (so basically a few days before the deadline) but if they answer to me as fast as last year (they gave me an offer a week later) then it's gonna be way before I hear back from funding (which is April)
Reply 56
Original post by zziippoo
No. I do not think so. You have to pay 10% as a deposit to secure your place. This is necessary for all the competitive courses.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I was referring more specifically to deadlines.

no, I am applying near the end of january (so basically a few days before the deadline) but if they answer to me as fast as last year (they gave me an offer a week later) then it's gonna be way before I hear back from funding (which is April)

I see :yep: I suppose it's different for PhDs though...is it possible they'd interview first? (Don't know much about the PhD process so excuse my ignorance :tongue:)
Reply 57
Almost 6 weeks since I applied now. Not a peep out of King's :huff:

myApplication gives no set time-frame but the KCL website gives a generic time-frame of 4-8 weeks. :K:
Reply 58
Original post by Akkuz
Almost 6 weeks since I applied now. Not a peep out of King's :huff:

myApplication gives no set time-frame but the KCL website gives a generic time-frame of 4-8 weeks. :K:

6 weeks?! :zomg:

Sorry that's not helping :tongue:

I see you have an offer from QMUL though - it's something at least :yep:
Reply 59
Original post by aeterno
6 weeks?! :zomg:

Sorry that's not helping :tongue:

I see you have an offer from QMUL though - it's something at least :yep:

Hah. QMUL got back to me so fast, obviously want to tie down students with high grades. After a little research I've decided I don't particularly want to go there at all!

The management school at KCL seem to be slow. :noway: Perhaps a good thing though, due to their horrid 10% deposit!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending