The Student Room Group

11th January 2012 - 6BIO1 - edexcel biology unit 1

Scroll to see replies

do v need to learn the details of thalaseamia or cystic fibrosis is more than enuff ??!
AND also function of elastic fibres and connective tissue in arteries .. ok elastic fibre for stretching and recoiling but WTH is connective tissue for ....?!?
Reply 102
Does anyone have may 2011 exam paper for AS Edxecel biology?

I'd be grateful.

I'm freaking out about bio exam next week!
Can somebody also explain the hypotonic, hypertonic and isotonic osmosic concentration to me?
Cheers.
Original post by HQazi
Does anyone have may 2011 exam paper for AS Edxecel biology?

I'd be grateful.

I'm freaking out about bio exam next week!
Can somebody also explain the hypotonic, hypertonic and isotonic osmosic concentration to me?
Cheers.

hey !!

hypotonic :- when the waterpotential in something is very high its called hypotonic ,basically it has more water
hypertonic :- when water potential in something is less ,, so basically it has less water and more solute (tonic)
isotonic :- when water potential is same as compared to a cell or tissue fluid !

so if you put a cell into a hypotonic solution the cell will burst ! why??! becuz as outside the cell the solution is hypotonic so has more water potential (more water) and thus water will rush in the cell by osmosis ,bursting it :smile:

for all others i think you will get it ! :smile:
im tooooo freaked out like anytihng !!!!!! :eek::eek::confused::tongue:
Original post by moizedexcel
do v need to learn the details of thalaseamia or cystic fibrosis is more than enuff ??!

Not the details of thalasaemia but Cystic Fibrosis is the whole of unit 2 isn't it? That needs to be in detail...
Reply 105
Im also retaking this unit in JAN. Found the May 11 paper a lot harder than other papers.
Original post by Dan9878
Im also retaking this unit in JAN. Found the May 11 paper a lot harder than other papers.

ikr !!! i was so pissed when i saw the paper !!! that strawberry one nearly made meh cry !!!:mad:
Original post by timetowork123
Not the details of thalasaemia but Cystic Fibrosis is the whole of unit 2 isn't it? That needs to be in detail...

yeahh but wat in thalasaemia i mean is only knowing that two carriers can give birth to an affected child with 25% chance bcz all i noe is tht and other thing like haemoglobin and stuff is so difficult !!!! :eek::rolleyes:
Reply 108
so do we need to know the details on cystic fibrosis??? :O
Reply 109
Original post by Momina166
so do we need to know the details on cystic fibrosis??? :O

Yes we do.
hey !!

hypotonic :- when the waterpotential in something is very high its called hypotonic ,basically it has more water
hypertonic :- when water potential in something is less ,, so basically it has less water and more solute (tonic)
isotonic :- when water potential is same as compared to a cell or tissue fluid !

so if you put a cell into a hypotonic solution the cell will burst ! why??! becuz as outside the cell the solution is hypotonic so has more water potential (more water) and thus water will rush in the cell by osmosis ,bursting it :smile:

for all others i think you will get it ! :smile:
im tooooo freaked out like anytihng !!!!!! :eek::eek::confused::tongue:

We don't need to know about water potential do we? :/
Original post by MedicalMayhem

No we don't according to the specification.
Original post by InadequateJusticex

hi come stats taglog? manila you :wink: can u explain me how lymph is formed :smile:
Original post by InadequateJusticex

Ah okay thanks, I keep getting worried by looking at these threads.

You do the same AS's as me, *high five* :tongue:
Reply 114
Well I had an email from my tutor today and he said to revise untill cystic fribosis and genetic screening end of unit 1...
I am struggling with Dna and enzymes activation energy of reaction....I need a humble C for Dental Hygiene :0)
(edited 12 years ago)

water potential isnt something like REALLLY DIFFICULT !!! its just concentration of water :tongue:
ok so why is sucrose used as a transporting sugar , i read somewhere that bcz its not reactive so cannot be hydrolysed easily ....?! can someone elaborate plz :smile:
why do i have a feeling that a question on ENZYME practical will come , it hasnt come up in ages :/ can someone please explain to me detail description why is initial rate measured ...?!!
water potential isnt something like REALLLY DIFFICULT !!! its just concentration of water :tongue:

Yeah I remember that lesson, on 'psi' or something (that greek symbol :redface:). He said, "it's not on your syllabus, but it's interesting", I and many others resorted to learning from the textbook :tongue:
Yeah I remember that lesson, on 'psi' or something (that greek symbol :redface:). He said, "it's not on your syllabus, but it's interesting", I and many others resorted to learning from the textbook :tongue:

LOL yaa tht symbol is wierd !! :tongue: well best of luck did u learnt ht thalasaemia thing itys so complicated do v need to noe tht ....?!?!:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending