The Student Room Group

What GCSE subjects to take?

Scroll to see replies

First of all, decide how many courses you could cope with. I wanted to do about 20 courses, but I definitely couldn't cope with that. Most people in my school take 14. Then, find out what the compulsory courses are and minus that from the amount of courses you want to do. After that, think about what career you want to pursue. Choose subjects that would give you an advantage. Do lots of research into what subjects employers in that line of work would want. I would recommend you take

-A language (French is VERY useful)
-A performing or visual art (Dance or Drama (Drama is good for public speaking) or art)
-History/geography/RS
-IT
-And any other subjects that you want to do because you would like to or you find interesting.

Hope that helps!
Reply 61
I'm doing my gcse's at the moment:

English Lit - Compulsory
English Lang - Compulsory
Maths - Maths is fun (: You'll have to do it since it's compulsory
Biology - I love Biology (: Thing about sciences is, you can do triple sciences or dual sciences. It depends really on how much you want to learn and whether you can cope. Or, you can take less sciences and do more of other subjects x
Chemistry - It's okay. My teacher makes it funny though.
Physics - I love Physics XD It's my favorite science
Latin - It gets a bit confusing at times and the sources and etc are HORRIBLE. It's fun to translate though.
French - I absolutely love french. French and greek are my favorite language subjects (:
Greek - Greek is really fun and it's quite easy to learn!
Malay - I learn it in my spare time. Don't really recommend it.
History - History is interesting. The remembering facts thing is the reason most people don't really want to do it.
IT & Business Studies - I totally recommend this! I mean it's a really fun subject to learn and the coursework is so fun O: I mean, who wouldn't enjoy creating business cards and taking pictures of places, creating questionnaires XD
Add maths - I'm only starting this next year
Statistics - I'm starting this next year
Maths Igcse - Starting next year :/

You can do loads of other subjects such as
Textiles
Home Economics
Geography
R.S. - really wish I took this lmao
Art
PE
Dance
Pick subjects you're good at, and subjects you enjoy. Then you'll do great in your GCSE's.

Whatever you do, don't pick something you dislike just because you're friends are, or you think it will look good, or whatever. Pick things you like and are capable in :smile:

Nobody can tell you what to pick, you need to make that decision. Everyone has different preferences when it comes to subjects. For example don't pick History if you dislike it just to look smart, it will just be a gcse down the crapper.
(edited 12 years ago)
At the moment i'm really enjoying doing history, but look at what period you're doing. You don't want to do some boring things like the Tudors :s-smilie:
Reply 64
Original post by AshleyKay96
At the moment i'm really enjoying doing history, but look at what period you're doing. You don't want to do some boring things like the Tudors :s-smilie:

I'm gonna try and change to history and I already know the topics I will be doing medicine through time will hopefully be the first part if my school allows me to change media studies to history
Original post by jojo10834
I'm ment to be choosing my option's in 2 months but I'm thinking about it now but I don't know what subject's you can choose from can someone please post the list of subjects here :smile:

I'd say English was a necessity :wink:
We were forced to take a language, and it's great. The work load isn't too high for any subject at GCSE, and you can add it to your CV as being able to speak French. It's also useful if you go on 'interpals' and speak to French people. In my honest opinion, this Frenh GCSE will serve me more purpose in life than any other subject.
I wish I took more languages to be honest. Yes it's my wost subject by quite a bit and I probably would have had quite a bad grade (for me), but a language is an amazing life skill and really useful if you want to travel the world. Ask yourself this, when youdo Science you're not ever really going to need to apply the formula for photosynthesis for anything, and most people just forget the content after the exam. For a languages you remember it for life! Furthermore, if you want to do Science at Uni just take A-levels in those subjects..
Reply 68
History is looked upon, very highly, take it, I think you should take a language, most universities require a MFL and also companies higher 90% of employees based soley on language skills, are there any over languages you can speak fluently apart from English?

I wouldn't take BTEC's there a waste of time, they say it's worth 2 GCSE's, but taht's at grades, D-E, at GCSE it's important(ish) to pick a wide range of subjects, so you can have numerous options to do at A-Levels.

I've done my option's and I'm going to do -

Edexcel Maths (Hate Maths. But It's compoulsoury, I'd recommend any books from David Rayner, no matter what exam board you're doing)

AQA English Literature/Language - The topics are very interesting

OCR Twenty First Century Science (Triple Award) - B7, C7, P7 are very intersting, if you have the opportunity to do Triple Science and you think you can cope with it, I'' take it.

Edexcel Religious Studies - This is compoulsoury at my school, I didn't like it in Year 7/8, but It's easily one of my favourite subjects now!!

OCR Mordern World History - We had an option of OCR and WJEC, tbf OCR is much more intersting.

Edexcel Geography - Like History, is looked upon highly, and there's an amazing field trip to Somerset to look forward to.

Edexcel German - Already explained how important a language is. If you create a solid base in KS3, languages at GCSE, should be easy.

AQA Drama - Really enjoyable, will help with English

AQA Economics - Very exciting, espicially if you're interested in current affairs. You'll learn a lot.

I'm doing Stats, Accounts and Astronomy, independtley, 'cos i enjoy them and they'll fit in well, with my other subjects.

Hope this helps.
Reply 69
I'm ment to be choosing my option's in 2 months but I'm thinking about it now but I don't know what subject's you can choose from can someone please post the list of subjects here :smile:

Hey, well i had to choose mine last week, and there were things like

Music, Child development, BTEC SPORT, Sport studies, Geography, History, Religious Studies, Business Studies, Art, Photography, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, German, Latin, Drama, IT, Media, Textiles, wood work, Dance and probably more but sometimes they might have different names.... Hope this help full :smile:
Sorry if i forgot any... :biggrin:
And then theres core subjects . Math, English, Science, IT ..... :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
English
BTEC Thread Necroing
Reply 72

Hey, well i had to choose mine last week, and there were things like

Music, Child development, BTEC SPORT, Sport studies, Geography, History, Religious Studies, Business Studies, Art, Photography, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, German, Latin, Drama, IT ' and probably more but sometimes they might have different names.... Hope this help full :smile:
Sorry if i forgot any... :biggrin:
And then theres core subjects . Math, English, Science, IT ..... :wink:
Languages AREN'T massively difficult at all and the work load isn't hard at all! History is also fine, revision is essential though so you remember names (dates aren't usually asked for). Triple science / separate sciences: teachers only allow you to take them if they think you are capable. I really enjoy it (especially Biology) and you do have to do 6 modules instead of 4 but you have extra lessons so really it isn't bad AT ALL. ICT is compulsory in loads of schools - you do Cambridge Nationals which are incredibly tedious but as I said, usually compulsory. RE can also be compulsory but it's also really easy to get high marks in - you basically remember some definitions and then give your opinion.
You really should just pick things that you will enjoy, there's no point picking what other people enjoy because you're a different person. However, don't pick something like Performing Arts just for a 'fun' lesson. There is loads of coursework and essays to do for homework but if you are prepared to work, it's great!
The subjects available to you are dependent on your school, my school, for example, has many compulsory subjects and not many choices to choose from. Other schools might be the complete opposite and give you a variety to choose from. I'm think you should have an idea though of what subjects you can choose? Like the subjects you study now, those could be the subjects they allow you to study at GCSE :smile:
Reply 75
Why are people posting on a thread from 2012? Me included...
I'm taking:
Dance :awesome:
History
German
Spanish

I have to take:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
English Language
English Literature
Religious Studies
Mathematics
and a MFL
Reply 77
For gcse HISTORY!!!! All the way
well today i got the list of options that have been separated into 6 blocks and we can only choose one from each but one of the subjects i want to do is ICT BTEC 1st Diploma but it clashes with french and textiles

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I think keeping yr options varied as possible at this stage as this helps with yr decisions in the future lbecause you might not know what you want to know x hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest