The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology A2 - Crime & Deviance module

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm in a similar position + i've already done the religion exam. I still need the marks like! lol. Especially considering that the universities can now see your individual module results as oppossed to your overall a-level grades.
Reply 61
^^ ooo i didnt know that! suppose its good if you miss it by a couple of marks.
OK I know this is a really simple 12 mark question, but I'm confused into the direction I need to go in with this

Examine the relationship between deviance and labelling.

I started talking about Becker's labelling theory, but don't see how I can drag this out for 12marks' worth :eek: I thought about explaining Merton's strain theory but this isn't right, any help please!!
*starry_eyed_*
OK I know this is a really simple 12 mark question, but I'm confused into the direction I need to go in with this

I started talking about Becker's labelling theory, but don't see how I can drag this out for 12marks' worth :eek: I thought about explaining Merton's strain theory but this isn't right, any help please!!

Could you maybe talk about the media, deviance amplification and moral panics? Ie someone is labelled as deviant, the media pick up on it and cause a fuss, they make the public freak out about it and the police instigate a crack down, the deviants conform to their deviant label out of spite and thus a self-fulfiling prophecy has been fulfiled. I don't know if that's right, but it's an idea.
Reply 64
*starry_eyed_*

Is it the synoptic links, the methodology or the theories question... that will affect your answer surely?

In general... I'd go for...

Theories
Becker's labelling theory (with a bit of Lemert thrown in there). Also mention the sulf fulfilling prophecy.
How labelling links with other theories (Merton - responses to deviant labels, or Cloward and Ohlin - subcultural responses)

Synoptic links
Deviance amplification by the media (moral panics - Stan Cohen's study or Stuart Hall's will do here)
Labelling in education - how it causes many kids to become deviant (e.g. Merton's strain theory - some respond by rejecting the goals and setting deviant ones etc)
Some New Religious movements are labelled deviant (e.g. Jonestown massacre) due to their practices being out of the ordinary.

Methodology
You could talk about police stereotypes and instiutional racism (ethnic minorities, men and working classes labelled more deviant) - link it to how statistics are social constructions as a result.
Labelling of women as nurturing and motherly may result in less convictions.

Thats not all... but i cant think of anything else at the moment...

Dont forget to criticise labelling theory... I think this wll be a substantial part of the answer.
wow thanks so much kelly and suzi, both excellent ideas, i was kind of on the right lines then! :smile: bring on this exam!
Reply 66
I hope labelling comes up on the exam it's easy! Race and crime/gender and crime is the hardest because it's so boring.
8owman
I hope labelling comes up on the exam it's easy! Race and crime/gender and crime is the hardest because it's so boring.

yeah labelling would be a gift :smile: we've done hardly anything on ethnicity, so really hope that doesn't come up as a 40 mark question! I think I'd be ok on gender, just did a question on that for revision and seemed ok!
Reply 68
To be fair though, if ethnicity did come up as a 40 marker, most of the country would do crap because it's such a narrow topic, so the overall standard would be low and therefore it would be easier to pass :biggrin:
Reply 69
i think if it did come up it would be testing methodological links... becaus etheres some stuff to talk about with regards to ethnic minorities and institutional racism, where they live being important in conviction rates etc.
An easy topic means you need to do a really good essay...
Reply 71
*starry_eyed_*
OK this may not benefit you much but here's a list of the sociologists/studies I'm learning for this module:

Durkheim- Study of suicide

Douglas- defining and giving meaning to suicide

Atkinson- studying coroners' decisions of suicide

Taylor- reasons for suicide

Sutherland- Sex role theory

Parsons- sex role theory

Messerschmidt- gender identity

Hirschi- control theory

Pat Carlen- class/gender deal

Heidensohn- control theory

Cohen- Status frustration

Merton- strain theory

Cloward & Ohlin- illeigitimate opportunity structure

Miller- focal concerns

Matza- subterranean values

Becker- Labelling

Sutherland- white collar crime

Hall et al- moral panics

:biggrin: Ooooh, that will be SO helpful!
After being teased for weeks, we finally started learning Crime and Deviance properly last week. I have three more Sociology lessons before we break up for study leave next Friday:rolleyes:

Looks like I shall have to self teach myself everything she doesn't teach us in the 3 lessons (and knowing my teacher, at least two of them will involve making posters :mad:) so that list will come in helpful. Thanks! :redface:
Reply 72
duno if this will help neone teacher just gave it us. A topic overview

· Social order and control basic consensus and conflict ideas.
· Functionalism especially Durkheim and Merton.
· New right theory e.g. Murray
· Subcultural theories especially Shaw and McKay, A.Cohen, Cloward + Ohlin.
· Marxism including traditional views and the New Criminology (Marxist subculture and left realism, Taylor, Walton + Young)
· Feminism e.g Heidensohn
· Interactionism labelling theory/social constructionism (especially Lemert and Becker)
· The role of the media including social construction, folk devils and moral panics, amplification of deviancy, S.Cohen, J.Young.
· Postmodernism a fragmented society, Lash + Urray
· Crime statistics official statistics and victim surveys
· Women and crime especially statistics and feminist views
· Class and crime e.g. Lea + Young, Gilroy, Hall on statistics and policing
· Marketisation/globalisation changing society’s affect on crime
· Suicide Durkheim’s work, contemporary debates

I was wonderin if neone has ne notes on Marketisation/globalisation because our teacher hasnt given us nethin on that. thanx
Reply 73
After being teased for weeks, we finally started learning Crime and Deviance properly last week. I have three more Sociology lessons before we break up for study leave next Friday

Omg your teachers have left it very late! It's a massive topic. I hope you're self-motivated lol :biggrin:
Reply 74
8owman thanks for the document on gender and crime, I really needed that. Anyone got any links or info for feminist perspectives of crime? Seem to be lucky, had a great SS teacher, but we were running out of time so she left it to us to look up feminist, but none of my text books even mention it!!!
Reply 75
Well i'm revising from Haralmbos and there isn't really much about feminism and crime. Most of it is linked to postmodernism. Here are a few points I picked up on though;

1) The likes of Heidensohn and Smart are feminists, although Smart can also be viewed as a postmodernist.
2) Smart proposed the idea of "transgressive" criminology; we need to move away from malestream criminology and a whole new approach that is inclusive of women is required.
3) Radical feminists believe that men are the root of all evil and female crimes should only be studied and dealt with by women.
4) Liberal feminists believe that women are placed in a subordinate position, but recognise that the situation is improving (e.g. women officers to deal with rapes).

Don't forget, in a gender essay you also need to talk about male criminality - Messerschmidt etc ("crisis of masculinity").
Reply 76
Hmm would you guys say I can revise crime and deviance in 5 days..if I do about 8 hours a day? As it's my last exam and all my exams are crammed togeather!! So I have to leave it last!
xxnizxx
Hmm would you guys say I can revise crime and deviance in 5 days..if I do about 8 hours a day? As it's my last exam and all my exams are crammed togeather!! So I have to leave it last!

I reckon you should be able to do that. That would give you say 3 days for revising and 2 for past papers, which seems plenty.
Reply 78
kellywood_5
I reckon you should be able to do that. That would give you say 3 days for revising and 2 for past papers, which seems plenty.

ye i'm in a similar position, i have Biology on the 23rd ...then 28th is sociology module 6, i've got all the revision notes etc made, just a case of sitting down and memorising it.
Reply 79
Thanks kellywood_5!! I think it should be alrite too, though I have not made any notes, I tend to make notes as I go along as I have said in the other thread lol

Shoiab - yeah same I got an exam on 23rd! then 28th sociology, I will probably do what you've done and make notes, then memorise them!

thanks:smile: nice to know I'm not the only one planning to do that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending