The Student Room Group

How did you deal with university rejection?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by poyyo
what were the excuses they made?

I applied for primary education, Roehampton rejected me as I mucked up my english test, depsite getting 90 per cent in my AS english exam and doing well on the other english section of their test.

Nottingham trent told me "I haven't had enough experience in schools" even though I had met their requirements for working for at least 2 weeks in schools

Manchester Met downright rejected me on predicted grades

As did Brighton. But they accepted someone I knew straight away through clearing, despite her achieving BCD and them needing BBB - the top uni for primary education, this is.
I was in the middle of an English lesson and checked track on my phone. Saw the rejection and cried out "Noooo! Aww well there's always Manchester". My teacher turned to me and said "Well I don't think Manchester was on Hitler's list of places to invade after Poland."
Reply 102
got rejected by Royal Holloway just after getting an Unconditional from University of Lincoln, which softened the blow, and now i'm really liking the look of Lincoln. Reckon i'll probably hide when my rejection from Exeter comes through.
Reply 103
Thanks for the responses! I ended up getting an offer from the university with 25 applicants a place which shocked me.
Original post by ohdeer
Thanks for the responses! I ended up getting an offer from the university with 25 applicants a place which shocked me.

Congrats :smile:
Reply 105
Cry, cry, cry then realise that it was their loss
Original post by ohdeer

:excited: Well done :biggrin:
Reply 107
I didn't get any rejections when I was applying last year.

On results day I missed my offer (when I say missed, my offer was ABB and I got A*AC). my first choice wouldn't update UCAS and took ages making a decision. My backup was offering the same grades, as my first choice gave me my lowest offer. by the time my first choice made a decision, my backup said they couldn't take me because they no longer had any places.

i was a bit annoyed at my first choice, because i probably could have got into my backup if they'd made a decision quicker.

after looking on clearing, i decided i didn't want to go anywhere else.
i emailed the admissions tutor for my first choice, and they said if i re-applied i'd probably be given an unconditional offer.

i now have an unconditional offer :smile:

if this happens to you on results day (you should be prepared for it, quite a lot of people miss their offers) the best thing to do is communicate. it is really hard to get through when you're phoning unis, so find about 3 different numbers for each uni. email them too.

general admissions numbers are useless - they don't really know anything. find the number for admissions to your department. then keep calling! they're really nice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ohdeer
I might just have to bring out the angry Beyonce ballad.

Not sure the Admissions departments would appreciate this...

Thanks, this made my day after me crap rejections :smile:
Reply 109
You can't do much about the immediate dissatisfaction of a rejection.
All you can do is wait for all your offers to come back, and look at the positives of what you have on offer.

I got rejected by Durham, but accepted in all of my other applications - most of which are considered better universities both in general and for my course than Durham. They're just elitist, and lost out on a potentially very good student as a result, their loss.

Brick walls are there for the people who don't want it enough. Regardless of which university you go to, your input as an individual will be rewarded over everything else.
Original post by Newky
You can't do much about the immediate dissatisfaction of a rejection.
All you can do is wait for all your offers to come back, and look at the positives of what you have on offer.

I got rejected by Durham, but accepted in all of my other applications - most of which are considered better universities both in general and for my course than Durham. They're just elitist, and lost out on a potentially very good student as a result, their loss.

Brick walls are there for the people who don't want it enough. Regardless of which university you go to, your input as an individual will be rewarded over everything else.

LOLWUT

perhaps you werent as suited to their course as you like to think you are
Reply 111
Original post by sb123303
Thanks, this made my day after me crap rejections :smile:

I found out about a rejection yesterday, too!

Beyonce has not helped my relationships but she has her uses.

Hope you/we feel better soon! X
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 112
Original post by -Illmatic-
LOLWUT

perhaps you werent as suited to their course as you like to think you are

Well, having applied to exactly the same course at 4 other similarly competitive universities and receiving a rejection only from them, I see that as unlikely.

Course content's the same, staff research interests near enough the same etc etc. Only difference is Durham's reputation for declining anyone without straight As in everything.

Sure, I might be wrong, no need to overreact.
Original post by Newky
Well, having applied to exactly the same course at 4 other similarly competitive universities and receiving a rejection only from them, I see that as unlikely.

Course content's the same, staff research interests near enough the same etc etc. Only difference is Durham's reputation for declining anyone without straight As in everything.

Sure, I might be wrong, no need to overreact.

"lost out on a potentially very good student as a result, their loss"

Do you honestly think that they have lost out by rejecting you.

Absurd.
Drown sorrows, get over it and realize I'm not good enough and need to try harder. It's a cruel feeling but it works if you are ever going to make any progress.
Reply 115
Original post by -Illmatic-
"lost out on a potentially very good student as a result, their loss"

Do you honestly think that they have lost out by rejecting you.

Absurd.

Resorting to personal insults, that's just wonderful.

You are a friendly chap aren't you.
Reply 116
Shock; fury; grief; acceptance (not into the university, of course).
Original post by Newky
Resorting to personal insults, that's just wonderful.

You are a friendly chap aren't you.

Nah just dont like the way you went about justifying a University rejection as a loss to the institution.
Original post by seasons of wither
this made me laugh very much, carnationlilyrose :sexface:

Glad to be of service. It is true, btw.:smile:
Original post by ohdeer
I found out about a rejection yesterday, too!

Beyonce has not helped my relationships but she has her uses.

Hope you/we feel better soon! X

Thank you! :smile: I hope you feel better too.
And tbh i'm over it, it's their loss :colone:

Good Luck with everything! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending