The Student Room Group

Finding the motivation.

Hey, I'll get straight to the point I have 4 exams in January. And although, I know I need to revise in order to pass them I'm finding it so hard to revise to find the motivation to do it. So yeah, TSR how can I get motivated?

Btw, I should mention that I had the same problem at GCSE. However, due to GCSE being easy I passed with decent grades. I've took History,Law, Economics and Business studies.

Any, help would be much appreciated. :rolleyes: :smile:
Same problem here guys, I on the other hand have only got 3 AS exams in January but I just mentally cannot get into the 'work' hard attitude :/
Ask yourself whether you want to be happy with yourself when you get the results for your exam or disappointed.

If you say you want to be happy then that should make you understand that hardwork is necessary for it.

Best of luck
Reply 3
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Ask yourself whether you want to be happy with yourself when you get the results for your exam or disappointed.

If you say you want to be happy then that should make you understand that hardwork is necessary for it.

Best of luck

Of course, I want to be happy with them but that sort of attitude just isn't working at all for me. But thanks for replying :smile:
Original post by xxm
Of course, I want to be happy with them but that sort of attitude just isn't working at all for me. But thanks for replying :smile:

Do you find speeches help you ?

Here are some:

Reply 5
Do you find speeches help you ?

Here are some:

You know what? That did help. So thank you. Sorry to be a pain though how can I stop coming up with excuses not to revise I mean sometimes there so pathetic its untrue. :eek:
Original post by xxm
You know what? That did help. So thank you. Sorry to be a pain though how can I stop coming up with excuses not to revise I mean sometimes there so pathetic its untrue. :eek:

list some of them... sometimes saying them out loud just makes them sound even more stupid than usual.

I usually block websites as well so i can't get distracted by them
I guess de-activating Facebook would be a good idea :L
Reply 8
list some of them... sometimes saying them out loud just makes them sound even more stupid than usual.

I usually block websites as well so i can't get distracted by them

Like if I should start after my tea, despite my tea would be served an hour later.

I'll watch this then do my revision because this could help me.

You know that sort of stupid,pathetic and idiotic excuses! I think I'm actually motivated :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Your a life saver ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by arnoob
I guess de-activating Facebook would be a good idea :L

YEah i think i am.
Original post by xxm
Like if I should start after my tea, despite my tea would be served an hour later.

I'll watch this then do my revision because this could help me.

You know that sort of stupid,pathetic and idiotic excuses! I think I'm actually motivated :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Your a life saver ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :smile:

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 11
Best of luck :smile:

Thank you. You to :smile:
Reply 12
A thread I made specifically for people like you who are having motivational problems:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34704549#post34704549
Reply 13
Original post by xxm
Hey, I'll get straight to the point I have 4 exams in January. And although, I know I need to revise in order to pass them I'm finding it so hard to revise to find the motivation to do it. So yeah, TSR how can I get motivated?

Btw, I should mention that I had the same problem at GCSE. However, due to GCSE being easy I passed with decent grades. I've took History,Law, Economics and Business studies.

Reply 14
Original post by tif49
A thread I made specifically for people like you who are having motivational problems:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34704549#post34704549

Very helpful. Thank you! :rolleyes:
Reply 15
Original post by xxm

My AS results were not what I wanted at all, and gave me a big kick in the arse. The thing that always gets me motivated is that these are grades that will be forever-imprinted upon my CV/higher education applications etc. and the thought of them being less-than is really frightening.

I have 7 exams in January due to an amalgam of failure and persistence. Failure taught me to be motivated, just let the prospect of failure motivate you - especially when there are so many people who will yield an array of A*s.

Just control your drives.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Joey15
My AS results were not what I wanted at all, and gave me a big kick in the arse. The thing that always gets me motivated is that these are grades that will be forever-imprinted upon my CV/higher education applications etc. and the thought of them being less-than is really frightening.

I have 7 exams in January due to an amalgam of failure and persistence. Failure taught me to be motivated, just let the prospect of failure motivate you - especially when there are so many people who will yield an array of A*s.

Just control your drives.

Hope this helps.

I'm glad to find someone using their previous grades as a motivator, I'm definitley doing that! Good luck to you for your exams :smile:
Reply 17
Put on some mellow / instrumental music.
Turn off your laptop (or just the internet if you need to type (or block Facebook etc if you need the internet for research))
Set yourself a time limit; work for 55 minutes, chill for 5, repeat.
Reward yourself when you hit your quota: video games / eat some chocolate / whatever floats your boat
Get off TSR maybe? it still counts as procrastination :wink:

It sounds harsh but really it's on your back. I slacked at GCSE and A-level and uni first year and uni second year and EVERY TIME I was angry with myself. Now I'm in third year I'm finally pulling my finger out and following my own advice (what I just typed); it's a lot easier to work now.
Reply 18
Original post by Criggle09
Put on some mellow / instrumental music.
Turn off your laptop (or just the internet if you need to type (or block Facebook etc if you need the internet for research))
Set yourself a time limit; work for 55 minutes, chill for 5, repeat.
Reward yourself when you hit your quota: video games / eat some chocolate / whatever floats your boat
Get off TSR maybe? it still counts as procrastination :wink:

It sounds harsh but really it's on your back. I slacked at GCSE and A-level and uni first year and uni second year and EVERY TIME I was angry with myself. Now I'm in third year I'm finally pulling my finger out and following my own advice (what I just typed); it's a lot easier to work now.

This has helped massively man thank you so much. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 19
My friends who didn't revise enough for the subjects which required a lot of revision did really badly and dropped out. Either changed to a worse college or got a job. So if you don't mind doing that then go ahead and don't bother revising...

Quick Reply

Latest