The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 4B Advanced Info Booklet

Scroll to see replies

I got an A with 68/80 UMS too! Wooo :biggrin:
Reply 261
how many ums do you need overall for an A as a final A2 grade?
Reply 262
Sorry to intrude on you 4B people. :smile: I have just recieved my result for the 4A paper, I got a D at 43 UMS along with everybody else in my year group. One person in my year achieved a C and the rest of us between D-U. :s-smilie:

Not sure if this is because we were ill-prepared or whether it is a fault of AQA. If anybody has any information it would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Congratulations on all your 4B results, you sound like you have done well. :smile:
1 mark off an A. -.- still thrilled though!
Reply 264
Original post by balletlover
1 mark off an A. -.- still thrilled though!

Same! Ah well :smile:
Original post by Heyimdec
Sorry to intrude on you 4B people. :smile: I have just recieved my result for the 4A paper, I got a D at 43 UMS along with everybody else in my year group. One person in my year achieved a C and the rest of us between D-U. :s-smilie:

Not sure if this is because we were ill-prepared or whether it is a fault of AQA. If anybody has any information it would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Congratulations on all your 4B results, you sound like you have done well. :smile:

Hi there,

Our class were doing 4b this year, and it seems like we are in a similar position to you. Most of our class got C's, when we were expecting A's. I got a C, even though I was hoping for an A*, and although a C isn't bad, I didn't think the paper went that bad, and I don't think its reflective for what I got at AS.

I thought the paper went ok, and I've just looked at the examiners report and the mark scheme, and although I didn't have all the points on there necessarily, it is level based, and it says on the mark scheme they don't expect you to get all the points applicable, but to mark where appropriate so I am confused.

Personally, I'm prepared to risk the money to remark my paper, because even after looking at the mark scheme I am still so dissapointed. However, I had looked at things like previous exam reports/past papers etc. before, and didn't just rely on my teachers, so I don't think I can blame the teaching.

I understand loads of people here might be chuffed with a C, but in comparison with my geography grade at AS, me and my friends are a bit confused! In terms of your case, I can't really give much advice I'm afraid, because I don't know your schools policy on resits/remarks/recalls, and if they had done this paper before. For example, our school had done this paper for several exam seasons now, therefore I would be suprised if the teaching had been a factor in our grades.

Good luck :smile:
Congratulations to everyone! I got 68/80 so an A I'm very pleased! My college really struggled, we have 42 A2 students, we got 1 A (me) 1 B, 1 C, 1D, 14 E's and the rest U's :L
Not sure if this trend of low marks is common across the other centres? We had people who got an A at AS get E's in it. Stupid Poole!
Feel so chilled out about Geog now :smile:
140/140 UMS on unit 1 and the highest raw mark in the country :wink:
Only 41/60 on Unit 2
So 249/280 so far - 71 left for my A. Might be adventurous and go for an A* :P
Well done again everyone! We survived the nightmare of Twinsails bridge :P
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Hey Guys!

About 36 hours to go! How is everyone thinking about this? I thought it was OK, I am just hoping that the grade boundaries are similar to previous series, were its been like 42/60 UMS for an A* :eek:

Hope you got what you needed for Warwick!

Regarding the marking. I come from by far the biggest centre that use AQA geography. The results were very disappointing and not at all what people were expecting. The head of geog who happens to be my teacher is going to get in contact with AQA and send a sample off for remarking. It seems very odd how so many people underperformed. It doesn't just seem to have affected my college either.

For me at the end of the day I just think we didn't prepare what we needed to. Now that wasn't the fault of anyone and I can't blame teachers because what we were taught we were taught very well. I just believe the path AQA went down with the exam paper was slightly misleading, or almost being thrown off track from what was provided in the initial booklet.
Original post by stevop21
Hope you got what you needed for Warwick!

Regarding the marking. I come from by far the biggest centre that use AQA geography. The results were very disappointing and not at all what people were expecting. The head of geog who happens to be my teacher is going to get in contact with AQA and send a sample off for remarking. It seems very odd how so many people underperformed. It doesn't just seem to have affected my college either.

For me at the end of the day I just think we didn't prepare what we needed to. Now that wasn't the fault of anyone and I can't blame teachers because what we were taught we were taught very well. I just believe the path AQA went down with the exam paper was slightly misleading, or almost being thrown off track from what was provided in the initial booklet.

Hey, thank you! I think I'm on track at the moment :L which is good thanks :smile: I also come from a really large college, one of the largest in the country? Where do you go to? I'm only suspicious as I've heard that they are considering sending a sample for remarking as well :L but yeah, the questions were misleading with what the booklet suggested :L
Reply 269
Original post by TheBigJosh
Congratulations to everyone! I got 68/80 so an A I'm very pleased! My college really struggled, we have 42 A2 students, we got 1 A (me) 1 B, 1 C, 1D, 14 E's and the rest U's :L
Not sure if this trend of low marks is common across the other centres? We had people who got an A at AS get E's in it. Stupid Poole!
Only 41/60 on Unit 2

That sounds very dodgy. Last year, my school made a formal complaint after students predicted A's came out with D's on 4B. Turns out the marking was appalling and almost all of the class went up at least 2 grades, i'd mention it to your teacher.
As far as the low marks go, 75% at my school got A's and nobody got below a D this year... So it certainly sounds like something odd is going on with your centre.
Only 41/60 on Unit 2

I got 140/140 UMS too :O does that mean I have a top of the country mark aswell? how did you find that out?
Original post by balletlover
I got 140/140 UMS too :O does that mean I have a top of the country mark aswell? how did you find that out?

Hello :smile: well done for get 140 ums! Only 6 out of 23000 students that took that exqam got 140 ums - so us and 4 others. If anyone else claims this, they're lying :P and sorry, you didn't get the highest raw mark - I got a letter from Dave Redfern one of the chief examiners from AQA saying that I got 115/120 on that paper :smile: you can always ask your teacher to logn to eAQA to find out your raw mark if you don't know :smile: but it don't matter, we're still amazing :wink:
Reply 272
My class as a whole did alright for this exam... Much to my teacher's relief! He didn't think we'd have much time to relearn a whole new pre release as we still have another 2 units to learn before June :redface:

Hello :smile: well done for get 140 ums! Only 6 out of 23000 students that took that exqam got 140 ums - so us and 4 others. If anyone else claims this, they're lying :P and sorry, you didn't get the highest raw mark - I got a letter from Dave Redfern one of the chief examiners from AQA saying that I got 115/120 on that paper :smile: you can always ask your teacher to logn to eAQA to find out your raw mark if you don't know :smile: but it don't matter, we're still amazing :wink:

Congratulations! A guy in my class got 140 in his retake for geog 1. But really only 6 people got it?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 273

I got 140/140 too! Although, where did you get the information that only six candidates achieved it?
Reply 274
Are you sure only 6 people got it? I know that a girl in my class got 140/140 too.
Original post by Heyimdec

Our school was similar 2As, 2Bs 1C and the rest E or U! Think our teacher may be getting all the papers back.........

That's BS because more than a couple from my centre got full UMS...
Reply 277
Original post by tehforum

2 or 3 from mine too...
Original post by tehforum

Original post by James0507
2 or 3 from mine too...

Plus myself and 6 others in my year alone ... so I don't have a clue where he's got that figure from.

Also regarding to raw marks, a girl in my class dropped 5 also, don't know if she got a letter congratulating her for this though. Hmm.
(edited 12 years ago)

How do you know this?! I know for a fact that at least 3 people in my class got full UMS on that paper....
Also, get off your high horse please
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending