The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 4B Advanced Info Booklet

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by emilysadlerx
i just dont even know what to say about the appropriate assessment :s-smilie: yeah they looked into the widelife so constructed fences. thats all i know and apparently something about building mounts and the bridge being low so widelife cannot see? haha i dont knowwwww :frown:

I'm pretty shady on that part as well but I know they were trying to design the shoreline so the birds wouldn't be able to see any form of human life. I think they've tried to do it the ways you've said and used obscured glass or something along those lines? Though, in the AIB there really isn't a lot on it.
Reply 101
I cant emphasise how awkward this exam is... as I mentioned a page or two ago lol. Probably partly explains the very lower than usual grade boundaries - Around 70% just for an A*! I highly recommend making plans to questions that have been suggested to give an idea of what to do should a similar question actually appear. Also, keep reading over the AIB knowing what key information is where. Firm up on any Stats and the Fieldwork plan also then I think you should be prepared enough for this.

Past papers are relatively useless as they depend on their own AIB's except for the more general questions like fieldwork collection/data analysis etc.
Just checking - the only fieldwork question which could realistically come up is a traffic survey one, right?
Also, I'm struggling to think of questions which could come up in relation to the Appropriate Assessment. What kind of thing should I be preparing for?
for chi squared, can you do it with two different sets of data e.g. housing type and income, or does it have to be the same?
My teacher gave me a list of potential questions but some of them just seem to be asking me to copy directly from the AIB. Questions such as:

1. Suggest what factors need to be taken into consideration before making a decision about whether the bridge should be built. (5 marks)

2. Suggest what factors might lead environmental groups to have concerns about the development (6 marks)

What can you put for those other than what's already in the AIB?

Also, how would you go about critically evaluating the website? There's not much info and it's a tad bias but on last year's exam, a similar question came up worth 6 marks. I couldn't stretch those two points into 6 marks.
Reply 105
Original post by michaelhaych
My teacher gave me a list of potential questions but some of them just seem to be asking me to copy directly from the AIB. Questions such as:

1. Suggest what factors need to be taken into consideration before making a decision about whether the bridge should be built. (5 marks)

2. Suggest what factors might lead environmental groups to have concerns about the development (6 marks)

What can you put for those other than what's already in the AIB?

Also, how would you go about critically evaluating the website? There's not much info and it's a tad bias but on last year's exam, a similar question came up worth 6 marks. I couldn't stretch those two points into 6 marks.

For your first question would you talk about congestion as a problem? As well as things such as it links Hamworthy gate redevelopment with the rest of Poole?

And for the second would you talk about the fact that its a RAMSAR, SSSI and SPA, then again I don't think that on its own is worth 6 marks:biggrin:

For the website question, the modal answers we were given were what you've already written, like it gives extra information not in the AIB (More information and photos on the TSB), how some of the links are dead and despite a lot of information, most is generally unorganised so it's not easy to find what you want
There are a lot of good articles on the Bournemouth Echo website if people are looking for some extra information, not just on the regeneration but also the environmental factors of Holes Bay. Some of the comments on this article raise some interesting points I think, I'm not sure exactly how accurate the comments actually are but it seems that some of the locals are pretty opposed to the idea: http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/yoursay/letterstotheeditor/9367842.Contributor_missed_point_of_the_bridge/
Reply 107
I would suggest reading the Environmental Statement ( http://www.poole.gov.uk/planning-and-buildings/regeneration/environmental-statement/ ) for those who haven't it contains environmental impacts and how the impacts are going to be reduced. It has other useful information too, but it is extremely long, i just scanned through it quickly and picked out the most important bits! Hope this helped. :smile:
Reply 108
Original post by atlashands
The best i can come up with is the Millenium Bridge in Gateshead as a similar flagship Bridge development....also there are a few things about the regeneration of Glasgow that you might be able to draw on as an example :smile:

AHHH thanks that is very helpful!!:smile:

Just wanna ask something I am not sure. Is bar chart the best way to demonstrate the data of traffic count based on the tally data collection?

Well i saw technique called flow line map in my book which is basically drawing the map out and showing the amount of traffic by the width of the routes. Is this kind of presenting data? Not sure... Hope someone can help
Reply 109
Just a quick question to clarify things.

How much is the regeneration going to cost altogether? The bridge itself is about £25million, but what is it including the development at Hamworthy Gate etc?

Also, Hamworthy Gate provides 26HA of brownfield sites, out of 46HA overall which is being redeveloped, is this correct?
Reply 110
Original post by sekachun

Just wanna ask something I am not sure. Is bar chart the best way to demonstrate the data of traffic count based on the tally data collection?

Well i saw technique called flow line map in my book which is basically drawing the map out and showing the amount of traffic by the width of the routes. Is this kind of presenting data? Not sure... Hope someone can help

Yes to the second one, we literally learnt about this today. Think it would be hard to quantify traffic count by bar chart

Yeah flow lines is a good way to present this sort of data as they're overlayed onto the actual map, it's easier to see than with a graph. A bar chart would certainly be adequate however.
Reply 112
alright thanks guys!
Reply 113
Original post by lukas1051
Yeah flow lines is a good way to present this sort of data as they're overlayed onto the actual map, it's easier to see than with a graph. A bar chart would certainly be adequate however.

So for Y axis you'd have range of traffic i.e 0-1000 or something along those lines.

For the X axis would you have the times or would you have the different sites you were measuring i.e. Bridge then Blanford road etc?

Oh, yeah thanks for that link earlier, it's helped consolidate my knowledge for the bridge question +rep
Reply 114
we also got taught to do a flow line graph

could you explain how this works please? also, for chi squared, can you do it with two different sets of data e.g. housing type and income, or does it have to be the same?
Original post by d_aan
So for Y axis you'd have range of traffic i.e 0-1000 or something along those lines.

For the X axis would you have the times or would you have the different sites you were measuring i.e. Bridge then Blanford road etc?

Oh, yeah thanks for that link earlier, it's helped consolidate my knowledge for the bridge question +rep

Yeah on the y axis you'd have the numbers and then on the x axis you'd have categories (time, location, both would work, you could even combine them by putting bars close together or maybe stacking them.
Reply 117
Original post by wasuuuuuuuuuuuppp
could you explain how this works please? also, for chi squared, can you do it with two different sets of data e.g. housing type and income, or does it have to be the same?

After you have collected your data, you can show them by drawing out the map. Well there should be a key showing the vehicle frequency. For example: a thin line could be 0-10 cars per minute a 2mm-wide line could be 11-20 cars.

For the chi-square, i am not sure, but my guess is that it is used to compare a type of data but can be many SOAs.
Reply 118
How many hours roughly, do you guys think you need to spend on this to get a solid grade (B) ?

I'm thinking about 6? Would I be right?
Hi, does anyone have any ideas of what might come up on the exam tomorrow. =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending