The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 4B Advanced Info Booklet

Scroll to see replies

anyone know what the major development in the 1960s on page 4 of the pre-release is?
Reply 141
anyone know of anything that has happened with the redevelopment since the AIB was published? sod's law it'll come up and I cant find anything in particular!
Reply 142
Original post by wasuuuuuuuuuuuppp
anyone know what the major development in the 1960s on page 4 of the pre-release is?

this is from wiki, not much detail but it seems like there was just a mini redevlopment project :smile:

Major redevelopment projects began in the 1950s and 1960s and large areas of slum properties were demolished and replaced with modern public housing and facilities. Many of Poole's historic buildings were demolished during this period, particularly in the Old Town area of Poole. Consequently, a 6-hectare (15-acre) Conservation Area was created in the town centre in 1975 to preserve Poole's most notable buildings.
Reply 144
Original post by flem
anyone know of anything that has happened with the redevelopment since the AIB was published? sod's law it'll come up and I cant find anything in particular!

I don't think there's been too much, obviously the bridge has actually been built and is opening on the 27th of February. There's a new one way system to accomodate this too. Other than that I can't really think of anything, Hamworthy Gate regeneration planning permission still hasn't been approved.
Reply 145
thats what i thought, thankyou!
Reply 146

When was the Asda built?
Reply 147
2010 i thought
Reply 148
Original post by Sophie1805
Guys, I had this 10 mark question to do for practice, but i honestly didn't have a clue how to answer it, if I post it can you tell me what more to add?

1) Explain why the government is trying to encourage planners of urban areas to redevelop brownfield sites (10 marks)
Brownfield sites are areas that may previously been used for commercial uses, and which now remain derelict or under-utilised. Poole currently has 46 hectares of land, which currently lie vacant or under-utilised. Hamworthy gate is an example of a brownfield site, which the government may want to be developed. Brownfield sites can often create a negative feel to the area and surrounding areas, and can look ‘run-down’ and tired. The government tries to encourage planners to use these in order to make the most of the land that is available without expanding further on Greenfield sites (undeveloped land in a city or rural area either used for agriculture, landscape design, or left to naturally evolve). The government encourages planners to redevelop brownfield sites in order to increase employment opportunities in the area; the brownfield sites can be redeveloped into enterprise zones, residential areas or retail outlets. This can create a number of jobs both in the short run, and long run. In the short run it creates jobs in construction and project management, and in the long run the enterprise zones, for example, can bring office work to the area, which has a positive multiplier effect. This can be demonstrated from myrdal’s model, which suggests that there is a catalyst (i.e. the development of brownfield sites) which can bring many positive effects to an area. The introduction of new employment opportunities leads to an increased pool of trained labour, which then means there becomes an increased demand for services, this creates a greater local wealth and this continues to multiply, leading to an increase in the local population paying taxes. This continues until the area can be classed as a ‘growth pool’. This leads to further invention and innovation, for example, research and development.

Bare in mind I timed myself to spend 8 minutes on this, as I am practicing for tomorrow, and wanted to allow an extra 2 minutes to try and add to it, so bare in mind it is of poor quality!!!

you're an economics student aren't you, its so obvious lol :biggrin: wonder if our economics will adhere to the geography based markscheme
Reply 149
Original post by deadwr0ng
2010 i thought

Oh so i guess it doesnt count as anything new after the bridge, what other regeneration has started apart from the bridge then?!
Original post by Jay™
When was the Asda built?

is that asda built in poole centre? or is that the new food store to be built in hamworthy?
Reply 151
is that asda built in poole centre? or is that the new food store to be built in hamworthy?

i presumed we were talking about the one by the old gas works and new RNLI training place and flats etcs near the train station and west quay road
when the pre-release says 'the average lift takes 6 minutes' does that mean to actually lift, or to lift up and then come back down again?
Reply 153
when the pre-release says 'the average lift takes 6 minutes' does that mean to actually lift, or to lift up and then come back down again?

I seriously doubt you need to know that much detail...

I'm an Economist... genuinely feel Economics is gonna greatly help me with this exam, i.e multiplier effect, negative/positive externalities, remedy the structual unemployment, utilising labour etc all of which could be used in one way or another.
Original post by Jay™
you're an economics student aren't you, its so obvious lol :biggrin: wonder if our economics will adhere to the geography based markscheme

How'd you know :colondollar:
Someone wanna mark my exam answers?? It may help you :wink: (Ok, maybe not, but I'd appreciate help)

2) Referring to one or more areas that you have studied evaluate the suitability of regeneration in your chosen area. (10 marks)
The Poole regeneration scheme is looking at the areas surrounding the proposed ‘twin sails bridge’ this is mainly Hamworthy Gate (lower Hamworthy) along with the land alongside the Back Water Channel. There are many reasons to suggest that this area is suitable for a regeneration scheme.

Firstly, the growing use of cars means residents and business need traffic solutions that reduce congestion and provide more sustainable links to the town and port. Typical traffic flows over the existing bridge are now 20,000 vehicles a day. Poole’s answer to this problem is to introduce an iconic bridge; around 200-250m north of the existing bridge built in 1927. This is suggested to improve traffic flows in the area, but to really evaluate the suitability of a new bridge, a traffic survey may need to be undertaken.

Secondly, due to Poole being surrounded by the sea and heathland, it has limited opportunities to expand. Currently Poole has over 46 hectares of vacant or under-utilised land, some, of which being the Hamworthy Gate brownfield site. It is thought that the regeneration scheme can incorporate the use of this brownfield land in order to reduce some of the negative aspects of the town. The land is needed for commercial and business use so that Poole’s economy can thrive; this is done through jobs being created and the growth of local businesses.

Additionally, rising house prices combined with average wages means a growing need for affordable housing. It is thought that to meet demand, 6,000 more homes are needed in Poole by 2011. The regeneration of Poole central area and a second harbour crossing will bring up to 3,000 homes. Although this doesn’t meet the demand, it is a large proportion of it (50%).

[Evaluate and justify]

3) With reference to employment activity from P6 suggest how you would present the data in graph form. (6 marks).
Figure P6 shows the census data (2001) for 18 separate areas in Poole, known as Super Output Areas. Columns F-M show the number of economically active people in employment categories such as higher managerial and professional occupations (F) and those that have never worked and the long-term unemployed (M).

The way I would present this data would be in the form of Stacked Proportional Bar charts. These show a percentage representation of data located on a map with colours assigned to each category. The bar chart scale needs to be chosen carefully, as it needs to not obscure too much of the region, and large enough for the percentage in each category to be seen.

The method involves converting all values to percentages of the total, a scale then needs to be decided on that will allow clear data representation, and not too large for the map. You then draw on the bar chart; shade in the areas, making sure to measure from the top of the last upwards, not the base of the bar chart. To convert the percentage of the total, first a total has to be calculated. Then the value for one SOA is divided by the total and multiplied by 100.

The disadvantages of this is that it is time consuming, can overshadow the regions and is often difficult to local all the bar charts on the map, some often have to be drawn to one side with makes interpretation more difficult.

This method is best used for data sets with a large range of values that need to be displayed on a map.

[Draw a diagram to show?]

4) Describe the physical features of the Poole area and outline the constraints this may create in developing the area (6 marks).
Poole Harbour covers 4250 ha of tidal water, wetland and saltmarsh, with reedbed and lowland wet grassland around the edges. The harbour is home to internationally important numbers of shelduck and black-tailed godwit. A further fifteen species of waders and wildfowl are present, either permanently or on migration. Additionally, Poole Harbour is a site of ecological importance on a world scale, due mainly to its ornithological (study of birds) interest. The harbour is a European Special Protection Area and a Ramsar site (wetland of international importance). It also contains numerous Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) of national importance.

The planned development work and following its completion can have a number of impacts on the wildlife, for example, the wildlife can be upset by noise, particularly repeated and frequent noise. Additionally, due to the loss of habitat, new building can obviously cause permanent loss of habitat, but processes involved in construction, storage of materials, and dumping of waste etc. can also cause both short-term and long-term damage to habitats. Furthermore the development can also cause problems due to the visual pollution, lighting, contamination, changes to hydrology, pet brought to the area, and increased leisure activities.

For these reasons, an Appropriate Assessment had to be undertaken before planning permission was given for any development on the Hamworthy Gate Site. The conclusions of the appropriate assessment meant that a number of recommendations for the development were made. For examples, “within 300 metres of the mudflats, hammered piling the use of pneumatic drills and concrete breaking must be restricted to May or June or in other month to periods of high tide when the key species are not feeding nearby.”

Due to the restrictions placed on the area due to the appropriate assessment and other factors, it may create constraints in developing the area. Restricting the months of which certain work can be carried out can incur further costs to the construction firms, and additionally (and maybe more importantly) it can cause further disruptions to the people of Hamworthy, and wider areas of Poole as it may increase the overall project time.

5) To what extent is the building of the second bridge vital for the success of the regeneration of Poole? (10 marks)
It is said that the introduction of a second bridge is the catalyst for the regeneration of Poole. The aim of the new bridge is to make access to and from the town centre easier for everyone and thus help community spirit and social groups. The proposed bridge is also intended to alleviate congestion, provide a more reliable journey time across the Back Water Channel and improve the currently inhibited access to the Port of Poole.

Poole requires 6,000 new homes, and more land is needed for commercial and business use so that Poole’s economy can thrive. It is thought that the bridge will be a necessity for all this to happen. We can apply Myrdal’s model to see how this will work. We can see that the introduction of the Twin Sails bridge will be the catalyst, the construction of it will need workers, which can be sourced from the local area, reducing unemployment, additionally workers may be sourced from the contracting company outside of Poole. Either way, more money will be injected into the local circular flow of income. The increase in the number of workers (approximately 269 full time jobs) in the local area will increase spending in the area, not just for resources to construct the bridge, but for accommodation, transport, fuel, goods etc. The money spent on these then gets spent in Poole (again), and eventually we get to see a positive multiplier effect. This is what Myrdal’s model is based upon. The introduction of the Twin Sails Bridge will also attract new industries, and new businesses. Eventually Poole will become a growth pool.

The introduction of the new bridge in Lower Hamworthy will mean that local businesses will be encouraged to produce more, due to increased demand from residents and tourists. Additionally new businesses to the area due to the regeneration scheme will mean up to 5,000 jobs being created. This will boost the local economy and have the positive multiplier effect demonstrated by Myrdal’s model.

The bridge may be seen as a ‘tourist attraction’ the aim of the bridge is to be an icon, a modern and futuristic design. This could bring tourists to the area and is likely to increase demand for properties in the area. Additionally the bridge is an icon for the ‘vision’ of Poole; similar to the icon of Portsmouth being the Spinnaker tower.

Additionally there are already many traffic constraints in the area and the area is heavily congested. The new bridge will alleviate congestion meaning that access is a lot easier.
Reply 156
'Present the data in graph form'

Does Choropleth count as 'Graph' form? Our teacher told us Choropleth was very, very, very likely to come up.
Reply 157
Those answers seem really good, although the first one could do with a little more information, i'd try and incorperate the 1,700 homes and 4,000 sq. metres of floor space for business on the hamworthy gate site in there, as well as the 96 new homes that are to be constructed near the new ASDA as part of the Linden Homes scheme. :smile:
Original post by 0zzy94
'Present the data in graph form'

Does Choropleth count as 'Graph' form? Our teacher told us Choropleth was very, very, very likely to come up.

No, not for that question.
Choropleth can be used for population density though.
Original post by tb1993
Those answers seem really good, although the first one could do with a little more information, i'd try and incorperate the 1,700 homes and 4,000 sq. metres of floor space for business on the hamworthy gate site in there, as well as the 96 new homes that are to be constructed near the new ASDA as part of the Linden Homes scheme. :smile:

Thanks for this, where are them figures from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending