The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 4B Advanced Info Booklet

Hey :smile:

I was just wondering if there are any fellow geographers doing this exam in January out there? I got the Advanced Information Booklet on Wednesday, Regeneration of Poole sounds like fun -_- Although apparently easy-ish, its a snoozefest -_- :L

What do you guys think about it? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

hey there,
we got the booklet a week ago--
late, i know. :s-smilie:
What information/ sources do you have?
what have you been learning about it?
:smile:
We got this booklet last week. So far we're just using news websites and Youtube videos to get extra information. One thing we noticed though is that everywhere we look, the bridge part of the regeneration seems really inconsistent.

First Twin Sails Bridge is meant to blend in and be unobtrusive, but also be iconic and dramatic. The environment/backdrop around it is meant to be beautiful and natural...but from the Youtube videos I've seen, even allowing for the fact there's obviously a lot of construction work to be done etc...it looks like a very ugly location. The purpose of the bridge is to reduce congestion...but one side of it ends on a really narrow little road, and a whole section of the road near it is only one way. :mad:

As for the rest, my teacher has some sort of booklet of questions/mind maps/exercises making us use geographical skills on each item that we're slowly working through. It seems like a really good way to do it, but I'm not taking much in.

Blegh, it's really really dull. Even my teacher getting hyper during the lesson and going off on a tangent about how if the euro fails and there's a massive war she wants to die in her pyjamas didn't make it seem any more interesting.

We watched this video...and spent most of our time giggling at the totally random and inappropriate music choices (Especially at 1.57 :biggrin:):
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Hey, oh god I watched that video as well, and have taken notes on itl! I am guessing that you have the zig zag booklet? Oh fun times! My teacher says, its easy, but its a snoozefest. We got so bored that we decided to do work listening to Christmas songs, then started to watch Youtube clips on that Fenton dog thing thats going viral, which is the video I linked. Have you also been on the boroughofpoole website? I swear everyone is complaining about the new bridge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

As well as its many Jurassic Park and Lion King spoofs :')
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Hey, oh god I watched that video as well, and have taken notes on itl! I am guessing that you have the zig zag booklet? Oh fun times! My teacher says, its easy, but its a snoozefest. We got so bored that we decided to do work listening to Christmas songs, then started to watch Youtube clips on that Fenton dog thing thats going viral, which is the video I linked. Have you also been on the boroughofpoole website? I swear everyone is complaining about the new bridge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

As well as its many Jurassic Park and Lion King spoofs :')

Yeah we're using the zig zag booklet :biggrin:

I did browse through the boroughofpoole site but I couldn't tell you anything I read there...really having trouble retaining information about all this. I'm a physical geographer at heart so a lot of this human geography stuff just goes in one ear and out the other without stopping to introduce itself along the way. :sleep:

I think I'll need to do a lot of work on it over Christmas to remember anything :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TheQuietOne
Yeah we're using the zig zag booklet :biggrin:

I did browse through the boroughofpoole site but I couldn't tell you anything I read there...really having trouble retaining information about all this. I'm a physical geographer at heart so a lot of this human geography stuff just goes in one ear and out the other without stopping to introduce itself along the way. :sleep:

I think I'll need to do a lot of work on it over Christmas to remember anything :s-smilie:

Oh cool xD That booklet is useful! And yeah, i am exactly the same! I'm doing physical geography, so instead of doing 4 modules, we do the three that we shall have to answer questions on the the exam, 2 are physical and one is human (plate tectonics, weather and climate and world cities respectively) and vice versa if you are doing human, so we have more time to revise on less amount of topics xD and same :s-smilie: I am not looking forward to this exam!
Reply 6
hello,

can i ask what the zig zag booklet is? :smile:

Unfortunatley i've got to do this exam too :frown: any thoughts to what questions may come up would be great! I'm pretty sure a fieldwork question will be on seen as though it tells us to consider what methods might be used by students carrying out a traffic survey (same as last years but obviously a different topic).
Original post by Mattt
hello,

can i ask what the zig zag booklet is? :smile:

Unfortunatley i've got to do this exam too :frown: any thoughts to what questions may come up would be great! I'm pretty sure a fieldwork question will be on seen as though it tells us to consider what methods might be used by students carrying out a traffic survey (same as last years but obviously a different topic).

The zig zag booklet is a resource booklet our teacher bought for us (about £60 apparently) full of questions to work through etc to help us think in the right way about all the items. We're working our way through it and it seems pretty good so far.
Reply 8

Can anyone upload the zigzag booklet? Im retaking this module outside of school, so i dont have access to it :frown:

Would appreciate it if anyone could do it, thanks
Original post by Jay™
Can anyone upload the zigzag booklet? Im retaking this module outside of school, so i dont have access to it :frown:

Would appreciate it if anyone could do it, thanks

I'm a bit doubtful about doing that, considering the amount it cost my teacher...not sure if it would be allowed. :s-smilie:

I guess there's no harm in giving you some pointers related to the questions in the booklet though.
Reply 10
Any updates on how you guys are doing concerning revision?
I'm a bit doubtful about doing that, considering the amount it cost my teacher...not sure if it would be allowed. :s-smilie:

I guess there's no harm in giving you some pointers related to the questions in the booklet though.

Feel like sharing those pointers with everyone... :poke:
Reply 12
Wow this module is so damn hard to revise for. It reminds me of the DME in GCSE :biggrin:

My revision has been pretty poor for this, mainly because I don't really know what to revise on. I've gone through my work folder and did a couple of pie/chloropleth/bar charts and then some spearmans' rank for analysis methods but apart from that, not a lot!
What can we say about the project when talking about sustainability? Can the urban regeneration be sustainable, ... or have they gone to any extra lengths to promote sustainable development?

It seems to be a hot topic recently, so it's all too possible that it could be a question.
I've done hardly any revision for this, just gone through the zig zag booklet. :s-smilie: Do you guys know what types of questions would come up? thanks :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by LGrosvenor101
I've done hardly any revision for this, just gone through the zig zag booklet. :s-smilie: Do you guys know what types of questions would come up? thanks :smile:

I know what you mean. You can't even look at any past papers as they deal with different topics. Is the zig zag booklet anything but a series of slideshows? My teacher bought it and has used it in class but I was just wondering if theres anything extra?
Reply 16
Does anyone have the teacher's version of the ZigZag booklet? :wink:
Reply 17
So how is everybody's revision going? Personally, finding it quite hard to revise as I don't really know what to do!

I'm hoping spearman's rank comes up and I really hope chi squared contingency test does not come up, i'm still unsure what it proves..
I'm doing this next week too... what sort of questions do people think will come up? My teacher thinks there will definitely be some sort of statistics style question, or maybe a triangular graph (columns C, D & E in the table seem suitable for this), and a fieldwork question because the pre-release specifically mentions it. I'm really struggling to think of a potential method of fieldwork to do with traffic :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Original post by lukas1051
I'm doing this next week too... what sort of questions do people think will come up? My teacher thinks there will definitely be some sort of statistics style question, or maybe a triangular graph (columns C, D & E in the table seem suitable for this), and a fieldwork question because the pre-release specifically mentions it. I'm really struggling to think of a potential method of fieldwork to do with traffic :s-smilie:

triangular? what graph is this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending