The Student Room Group

Concept-driven Science VS Tool-driven Science

Do you think one is more important that the other?

To start off:

Concept-driven Science

The Second Law of Thermodynamics and Entropy is a universal concept. As energy is constant, entropy is always striving towards a maximum. It goes in hand with enthalpy, and is a great part of the Industrial Revolution.

Tool - driven Science

The telescope removed the rose-tinted glasses of the Medieval World, setting it upside down by discovering that the Sun and not the Earth was at the centre of the solar system.

Discuss :biggrin:

Edit: It would be great if you could provide examples and your own personal views
By 'tool-driven science', do you mean, like, 'applied science' that is of immediate practical use and by 'concept-driven science', do you mean abstract stuff that is interesting but has no practical application (yet)?
Does it matter?
Original post by When you see it...
By 'tool-driven science', do you mean, like, 'applied science' that is of immediate practical use and by 'concept-driven science', do you mean abstract stuff that is interesting but has no practical application (yet)?
Does it matter?

Yes I do. But concept driven science may already have practical application.
Original post by HollowPointSmile
Yes I do. But concept driven science may already have practical application.

Why would anyone have a particularly strong agenda either way? What is your opinion?
Original post by When you see it...
Why would anyone have a particularly strong agenda either way? What is your opinion?

No agenda, I would just like to hear peoples views. There are people studying engineering, natural sciences, the philospophy of science etc. I'd like to know what great ideas have they studied and how it has been applied.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending