The Student Room Group

Having doubts about Computer Science.

Hi, im typing this on my phone so please pardons any mistakes.

Basically, I always thought I wanted to do something with computers, so naturally decided on computer science.

However for the last 2 weeks, I've been doubting my choice and considering changing to accounting and finance; as it sounds interesting and also my dad is an accountant.

Then my friend told me you have to be good at coding to do well at CS, although I'm sure unis teach you with no prior experience needed. But even then I dunno if I'd pick up on programming/coding.
I really don't know if computer science is for me :/ at this late stage in the application process as well :/
Internal ucas deadline is Friday.

CS or accounting and finance?

I'd appreciate your input. Cheers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ManUtdFan333
Hi, im typing this on my phone so please pardons any mistakes.

Basically, I always thought I wanted to do something with computers, so naturally decided on computer science.

However for the last 2 weeks, I've been doubting my choice and considering changing to accounting and finance; as it sounds interesting and also my dad is an accountant.

Then my friend told me you have to be good at coding to do well at CS, although I'm sure unis teach you with no prior experience needed. But even then I dunno if I'd pick up on programming/coding.
I really don't know if computer science is for me :/ at this late stage in the application process as well :/
Internal ucas deadline is Friday.

CS or accounting and finance?

I'd appreciate your input. Cheers.

Its a decision only you can make really, there is programming yeah but you are taught from the very beginning because there isnt any requirements to know any programming language especially when not many places offer computing or computer science at A level. From what ive seen many people do know a bit about some languages but it doesnt matter, my programming module was probably the easiest module I did; I only really had to answer about 2 questions correct for me to pass first year. Its very basic at first.

I think no matter what you do youll always be a bit cautious and you will question it, I have many times but because its such a big decision I think you would no matter what subject you apply for. If you apply for accounting and finance at some point youll probably think about computer science and maybe even regret your choice.
Reply 3
Original post by hypercaine.
Its a decision only you can make really, there is programming yeah but you are taught from the very beginning because there isnt any requirements to know any programming language especially when not many places offer computing or computer science at A level. From what ive seen many people do know a bit about some languages but it doesnt matter, my programming module was probably the easiest module I did; I only really had to answer about 2 questions correct for me to pass first year. Its very basic at first.

I think no matter what you do youll always be a bit cautious and you will question it, I have many times but because its such a big decision I think you would no matter what subject you apply for. If you apply for accounting and finance at some point youll probably think about computer science and maybe even regret your choice.

Thanks for your reply.

I just feel like it's the wrong course for me, as I'm not what people would call the typical computer science student. I just feel like I would be out of place as everyone else will be into all these PC games, programming and whatever. I am interested in computers but I'm just really not sure any more...
I don't think I'd fit in if I studied CS.
Thanks for your reply.

I just feel like it's the wrong course for me, as I'm not what people would call the typical computer science student. I just feel like I would be out of place as everyone else will be into all these PC games, programming and whatever. I am interested in computers but I'm just really not sure any more...

Contrary to popular belief, a wide variety of people study CS and the stereotypes of the average CS student being an 'unwashed, introverted nerd' are massively exaggerated in the vast majority of cases. It's a subject like any other really, you'll certainly find plenty of people who'd rather go out for a drink or play sports after lectures than sit around in front of a monitor; just as you would in any other degree.

All sorts of people apply to CS for all sorts of reasons and as hypercaine. said, it's a decision you need to make for yourself; there's no 'mould' you need to fit in to in order to study CS. Case in point; my academic background up to this point has been almost entirely Arts based. No Maths or Physics or typical subjects you might associate with a CS applicant and yet I'm applying anyway because it's the subject I want to study and I've known this for a long time now.

I think that to make a commitment to study a subject for a number of years, you do need to have had some outside interest in the subject or previous exposure to it, but this is only my personal opinion.

Whatever you do decide on, you need to think about it very carefully. It's 3 or more years of your life after all and if your gut feeling is that it's not the course for you, you may be right.
Thanks for your reply.

Nor am I in fairness, I dont play WoW and im not into programming 24/7, I simply did a bit of it because I thought it would benefit my application and it did. I dont speak to many in my lectures because they are quite weird, I dont mean to be horrible or anything but its the truth. Some people are OK though, a small minority but there are still some alright people, I know some 2nd and 3rd years who are some of the nicest guys ive met at uni and they do my course, some of the PhD demonstrators are great guys too so dont buy into the stereotypes. I used to go and see Newcastle a lot at SJP and would spend most of my free time in the bar, CS is great in a sense that you dont need to do anything outside of lectures or labs :awesome:
Reply 6
Original post by Atrozius Faatz
Contrary to popular belief, a wide variety of people study CS and the stereotypes of the average CS student being an 'unwashed, introverted nerd' are massively exaggerated in the vast majority of cases. It's a subject like any other really, you'll certainly find plenty of people who'd rather go out for a drink or play sports after lectures than sit around in front of a monitor; just as you would in any other degree.

All sorts of people apply to CS for all sorts of reasons and as hypercaine. said, it's a decision you need to make for yourself; there's no 'mould' you need to fit in to in order to study CS. Case in point; my academic background up to this point has been almost entirely Arts based. No Maths or Physics or typical subjects you might associate with a CS applicant and yet I'm applying anyway because it's the subject I want to study and I've known this for a long time now.

I think that to make a commitment to study a subject for a number of years, you do need to have had some outside interest in the subject or previous exposure to it, but this is only my personal opinion.

Whatever you do decide on, you need to think about it very carefully. It's 3 or more years of your life after all and if your gut feeling is that it's not the course for you, you may be right.

Nor am I in fairness, I dont play WoW and im not into programming 24/7, I simply did a bit of it because I thought it would benefit my application and it did. I dont speak to many in my lectures because they are quite weird, I dont mean to be horrible or anything but its the truth. Some people are OK though, a small minority but there are still some alright people, I know some 2nd and 3rd years who are some of the nicest guys ive met at uni and they do my course, some of the PhD demonstrators are great guys too so dont buy into the stereotypes. I used to go and see Newcastle a lot at SJP and would spend most of my free time in the bar, CS is great in a sense that you dont need to do anything outside of lectures or labs :awesome:

Is programming easy to grasp?
Programming is a large chunk of the degree right/wrong?
Hmm, I just want to get along with like-minded people, but if everyone doing CS is just that nerdy WoW/league of legends or whatever type of person then i dunno if i should do the course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hmm, I just want to get along with like-minded people, but if everyone doing CS is just that nerdy WoW/league of legends or whatever type of person then i dunno if i should do the course.

Yeah it is fairly easy to grasp, I dont know what language you will learn first but its probably gonna be Java. I only bought one textbook in first year and it was an introduction to BlueJ and it was really useful throughout the year.
For me, there was one programming module out of six, it was brought into another about half way through the year so about a quarter of the year was based on Java.
Not everyone will be that nerdy, youll get the same for any degree which is actually worth something, some people are only there to study and youll get the same in every subject. It is a stereotype though and the same applies for people studying maths and physics, you do get a few stereotypical CS/maths/physics geeks. There was a guy in my college who you could just tell did physics but a lot of people on my course you couldnt look at and just tell they did CS.
Reply 8
To the OP, I'm in second year doing computing science and the stereotypes are true i think. There is a few people that i got on with in first year who were normalish but they ended up dropping out/changing subjects. I don't get on with anyone tbh as they aren't into things that i am like sports, going out and girls. It does kinda suck but i guess it means when i'm at uni i'm focused and get my work done which gives me time to hang with my friends from school. I'm not really passionate about computers but i do enjoy the logic behind it an that. I don't really know what to tell you tbh, you might be lucky and find a few people there u get on with.
Do you have any other related skills? .i.e. Maths
An HNC might be a good idea in order to give you a good start. Relevant Higher National courses include Software Development & Computer Games Development. Both of the aforementioned include programming(C++), computer architecture(i.e. RAM, cache, pipelines, round-robins, processor clock speeds etc...), maths for computing(i.e. matrices), working within project teams and UI design(i.e. how does the colour red make the user feel?)
Computer Science really only uses computers as a tool in order to solve problems using code. You'll have to code at some point as it is kind of the point of learning algorithms, like the bubble sort, and data structures. Some Universitie lecturers prefer students that have had no prior programming experience as it allows them to teach the students their way of programming(bad programming habits, like driving, are difficult to break!!). Introduce yourself to a programming language like C, Java or Python to see if you "like" programming. Hello World tutorials are commonly used by beginners in order for them to become accustomed to a particular programming language.
If you are currently using a Windows PC, load up your Command prompt window and type this:
@echo off
@title my first hello world
echo hello world
@color 14
@title I changed the colour!!

Remember, American spellings of words(like color) are used as oppose to the British spellings(like colour)...
Also, watch this video-trust me-it has a very high chance of kindling your love for Computing:
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=buckland%20unsw&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhE7l6Adoiiw&ei=hCDITreTFI_GtAbV8NmsBw&usg=AFQjCNEttrLs8NMCLnkRF9z1K9jfUbruQQ
...Richard Buckland is amongst the best when it comes to Computer Science lecturers :smile: :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10

They don't teach you to just program code. They teach you to understand the code.
Reply 11
CS is great in a sense that you dont need to do anything outside of lectures or labs :awesome:

I wish I was on your CS course :s-smilie:

OP, yes the majority of people on CS fit the stereotype but that shouldn't put you off doing it if it's what you want to do...
Original post by tooosh
I wish I was on your CS course :s-smilie:

OP, yes the majority of people on CS fit the stereotype but that shouldn't put you off doing it if it's what you want to do...

We had a few assignments but that was it, then a load of exams every so often but you didnt have like reading weeks or any big essays to write. I guess the same applies to every science though.
Reply 13

I would worry less about the other people on the course than you seem to be.

I do Computer Science, and I certainly do not fit the 'CS stereotype'.
Yeah I enjoy programming, yeah I know how to do it, but that doesn't mean I hole up in my room all day and program. In the same way that watching and enjoying watching T.V does not mean you barricade yourself in a basement for 8 hours a day, it just means its something you like to do from time to time when you get the chance.

In fact only one of the people in my college (out of 7 of us) fits the stereotype. He likes his PC games and all that, but he is still a really great guy (and he washes), and if it bothers you that much then none of the rest of us play any games whatsoever.

Besides, while I get on really well with the CS students in my college, I also have plenty of friends from other course even if they were all weird (which they aren't).
Original post by Atrozius Faatz

Just out of curiousity, why didn't you pick maths/science subjects for your gcses and alevels? given you knew all along that CS was what you wanted to do. I'm not entirely sure, but I understand that theres alot of maths in CS. So based on that I thought it makes sense that you would like maths as well, or at least like it enough that you'd pick it for alevel. So yeah i am quite curious about this :holmes:
Reply 15
Hey, I've just started CS at So'ton Uni, and I was a bit unsure when I first started my course too. But now I've gotten to know everyone and the course, I don't know why I ever worried. Sure, there are a few guys who are your stereotypical nerd/geek/whatever you want to call them, but there's also a big chunk that aren't, even some attractive girls! I don't fit the mold of typical CS student, I work in a bar, play rugby, go out 2/3 nights a week and have a girlfriend. I go out with somewhere between 5-10 guys on my course most weeks, sometimes even more.

As for programming, yeah I knew how to program, but not Java which is what we're being taught. So I was basically starting from fresh and some of my friends had never seen code before the course, but the lecturers take you through it from the ground up, and certainly at So'ton we have weekly help sessions for programming, so I really wouldn't worry on that front. If CS is something you'd be interested in then don't put it off just because you're scared you'll be surrounded by geeks, you'll be fine!
Reply 16
Original post by Fallen
I would worry less about the other people on the course than you seem to be.

I do Computer Science, and I certainly do not fit the 'CS stereotype'.
Yeah I enjoy programming, yeah I know how to do it, but that doesn't mean I hole up in my room all day and program. In the same way that watching and enjoying watching T.V does not mean you barricade yourself in a basement for 8 hours a day, it just means its something you like to do from time to time when you get the chance.

In fact only one of the people in my college (out of 7 of us) fits the stereotype. He likes his PC games and all that, but he is still a really great guy (and he washes), and if it bothers you that much then none of the rest of us play any games whatsoever.

Besides, while I get on really well with the CS students in my college, I also have plenty of friends from other course even if they were all weird (which they aren't).

Original post by H00P3R
Hey, I've just started CS at So'ton Uni, and I was a bit unsure when I first started my course too. But now I've gotten to know everyone and the course, I don't know why I ever worried. Sure, there are a few guys who are your stereotypical nerd/geek/whatever you want to call them, but there's also a big chunk that aren't, even some attractive girls! I don't fit the mold of typical CS student, I work in a bar, play rugby, go out 2/3 nights a week and have a girlfriend. I go out with somewhere between 5-10 guys on my course most weeks, sometimes even more.

As for programming, yeah I knew how to program, but not Java which is what we're being taught. So I was basically starting from fresh and some of my friends had never seen code before the course, but the lecturers take you through it from the ground up, and certainly at So'ton we have weekly help sessions for programming, so I really wouldn't worry on that front. If CS is something you'd be interested in then don't put it off just because you're scared you'll be surrounded by geeks, you'll be fine!

Cheers for the replies guys, they were very helpful!
I've decided that I am sticking to Computer Science, I hope it's the right course for me! Thanks once again.
Reply 17
write the following expressions into java expressionz=x3 y3-y\z3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending