The Student Room Group

Sciences-Po Paris

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EvaLuna93
May I ask when did u send your application off and for which campuses?

Sent it on January 17th to Menton.
Reply 61
Hi Jana,
thanks for all your effort already.
I also have some questions.
I am German and applying for the Euro-Africa program in Paris. I know this may seem a little strange but Africa has always been a great interest of mine so this program just fits perfectly with my interests.
I already applied and I am considered admissible, so I'll have an interview soon.
My first question is if there are any statistics about how many of the applicants are getting accepted for an interview. (I couldn't find any.) And about how big the chance is to be accepted after being invited to an interview.
How did you prepare? Did you actively studied for it? If yes, on what topics did you focus and how did you learn? And if no, did you felt well enough prepared by your extra-curricular activitier or by what?
My program will start in 2012 with an english speaking class and a french speaking class and in the second year we'll all study together.
On the website of SciencesPo it's said that the interview for the Euro-African program will be hold either in French or English. Do you think I will be able to choose? Will they also test my french?
And I don't know yet when exactly I'll pass the interview. Will they tell me enough in advance?

And last question: do you know anybody studying in the Euro-Africa program in paris who I could contac?

Thank you in advance for your answer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
Hi everyone,

I'm doing an Exchange to Sciences Po Menton next academic year. Anyone else going to be studying there in September?
Reply 63
Accepted to Menton!!Anyone else? :smile:
Reply 64
Accepted to Menton!!Anyone else? :smile:

Hi Eva,

Congrats on getting in. Is it your first choice?
Reply 65
Original post by Ups7
Hi Eva,

Congrats on getting in. Is it your first choice?

Yes,but I'm also considering British unis
Reply 66
Original post by Ups7
Hi everyone,

I'm doing an Exchange to Sciences Po Menton next academic year. Anyone else going to be studying there in September?

I'll be there! Just found out I got selected from my uni yesterday for the year long exchange, excited but nervous! Any idea what you're going to study?
Reply 67
Original post by irstudent
I'll be there! Just found out I got selected from my uni yesterday for the year long exchange, excited but nervous! Any idea what you're going to study?

Awesome, well done. Are you from Britain? I was afraid I'm going to be the only Exchange student from a British university there. :smile:

I haven't yet decided what modules I want to take but I talked to someone who studies there and she told me that pretty much all modules are open to Exchange students and the choice is fairly extensive which is very nice to know. I'm definitely going to continue Arabic and start doing some French. My French is very bad to nonexistent. How about you?
Reply 68
ha I was worried about that too! yea I'm in second year at LSE at the moment, you? I definitely want to continue Arabic, and hopefully pick up Egyptian Colloquial if possible. Did A level French but can't remember much so will take that too. I hope there's some sort of social life though, I'm such a typical student who does no work and goes out too much, think it will be a major culture shock!!!
Reply 69
ha I was worried about that too! yea I'm in second year at LSE at the moment, you? I definitely want to continue Arabic, and hopefully pick up Egyptian Colloquial if possible. Did A level French but can't remember much so will take that too. I hope there's some sort of social life though, I'm such a typical student who does no work and goes out too much, think it will be a major culture shock!!!

Well Menton won't definitely be ur cup of tea then...there's almost no social life since it's a very small town and workload at Sc Po is massive.
Reply 70

Apparently, as EvaLuna93 said, Menton has almost no nightlife, but Nice and Monaco are not far away, so there is always the chance to go there. :smile:

This is what a student who currently studies there told me about social life in Menton in an email.
Social life in Menton isn't very lively I must admit, but don't worry! The students here at Sciences Po have basically found other ways to entertain ourselves within the town, but if we are all really up for a good night out we just head on over to Monaco or Nice and party there instead :smile: But normally, especially when the weather's nice, we just chill at the beach with a couple of cheap bottles of wine and have a great time with music, and some middle eastern dancing. It's really great so you shouldn't worry about that.

Have you done the online "application" on the Sciences Po Portal thing? I don't understand why we have to put our CV and a letter of motivation in there.
Reply 71
Well Menton won't definitely be ur cup of tea then...there's almost no social life since it's a very small town and workload at Sc Po is massive.

Yeah, I think the workload for students there is ridiculously high, for Exchange students it's not the same though. We would only have to take 30 ECTS credits per semester, whereas everyone else has to take 55. :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by Ups7
Yeah, I think the workload for students there is ridiculously high, for Exchange students it's not the same though. We would only have to take 30 ECTS credits per semester, whereas everyone else has to take 55. :smile:

yeah I hope it's not too much of a workload, my studies don't even go towards my degree so I'll only need to pass! All the topics look great though so maybe a won't mind studying a bit more..!! I've survived so far at LSE possibly the most unsociable uni ever!

I'm sure we'll find some great stuff to do in and around menton, places like that are what you make of it!! Sitting on a gorgeous beach with a bottle of wine wins my vote any day!!

i haven't filled out the forms for sciences po yet, but I did think it seemed a bit weird to have to try and convince them again ha! Hope I don't get rejected!! :smile:
Reply 73
yeah I hope it's not too much of a workload, my studies don't even go towards my degree so I'll only need to pass! All the topics look great though so maybe a won't mind studying a bit more..!! I've survived so far at LSE possibly the most unsociable uni ever!

I'm sure we'll find some great stuff to do in and around menton, places like that are what you make of it!! Sitting on a gorgeous beach with a bottle of wine wins my vote any day!!

i haven't filled out the forms for sciences po yet, but I did think it seemed a bit weird to have to try and convince them again ha! Hope I don't get rejected!! :smile:

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to that. I hope the weather is still nice down there in September.

How come it doesn't count towards your degree? That's so cool, you don't have to worry about marks and can have a year long holiday on the French riviera, while doing some reading on things you are interested in. Enviable! :smile:

Once your home university has nominated you, Sciences Po won't reject you, that's why I was surprised they are asking for a CV and a letter of motivation, because, technically, we are already accepted.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ups7
How come it doesn't count towards your degree? That's so cool, you don't have to worry about marks and can have a year long holiday on the French riviera, while doing some reading on things you are interested in. Enviable! :smile:

Once your home university has nominated you, Sciences Po won't reject you, that's why I was surprised they are asking for a CV and a letter of motivation, because, technically, we are already accepted.

Really? I'm surprised because I was nominated to go to Sciences Po from my home university. I was thinking that the selection process for exchange students to go to Sciences Po would be a tough one since there are going to be many students applying there! Now I feel much better. :smile:

I can't say that I shouldn't worry about my marks while going on an exchange though.
Reply 75
Original post by zero_Gravity91
Really? I'm surprised because I was nominated to go to Sciences Po from my home university. I was thinking that the selection process for exchange students to go to Sciences Po would be a tough one since there are going to be many students applying there! Now I feel much better. :smile:

I can't say that I shouldn't worry about my marks while going on an exchange though.

I'm doing an Erasmus exchange to Sciences Po and the way this is handle might differ between universities. :smile:
Reply 76
Hiya everyone!

First off, thank you so much for starting this thread, Jana!

I haven't seen anyone else here applying for Le Havre, but I sent my application in a few days ago (yes, quite late...) and I'm waiting for a reply.

For those who have already received a reply, around how long did it take them?
Reply 77
Original post by NanaLG
Hiya everyone!

For those who have already received a reply, around how long did it take them?

It took around 2 months for me until they replyed to tel me that I'm considered admissible.
I sent it in the middle of december and I had my answer the 17th of february.
Reply 78
Hey,

I'm currently in Y12 and am hoping to go to Oxford after A-Levels to study PPE (v. competitive). However if that doesn't work out I was thinking about uni in France, specifically Sciences Po. I know the Paris undergraduate course has a really good reputation, but are the other international campuses as well respected? I'm not a native French speaker and although I do A-Level French and am pretty good at it, I'm no way near good enough to be competitive at the Paris course.

Do the international campuses have a really good reputation too? Or would I be better staying in Britain and going to LSE or something if I don't get into Oxford?
Would there be any point in taking a gap year, perfecting my French and trying to get onto the traditional Paris course.

Thanks in advance for the help :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by ruairidh64
Hey,

I'm currently in Y12 and am hoping to go to Oxford after A-Levels to study PPE (v. competitive). However if that doesn't work out I was thinking about uni in France, specifically Sciences Po. I know the Paris undergraduate course has a really good reputation, but are the other international campuses as well respected? I'm not a native French speaker and although I do A-Level French and am pretty good at it, I'm no way near good enough to be competitive at the Paris course.

Do the international campuses have a really good reputation too? Or would I be better staying in Britain and going to LSE or something if I don't get into Oxford?
Would there be any point in taking a gap year, perfecting my French and trying to get onto the traditional Paris course.

Thanks in advance for the help :smile:

Hello, I'm Parisian (and always have been!). I would put LSE about Sciences Po to be honest. If you don't get into either Oxford or LSE, then SP is worth considering. Do keep in mind the system is very different here. If you decide to come to France, I think a gap year to perfect your French would be a very good idea. The French can be unusually harsh towards applicants who are not completely fluent. Also, since you're aiming quite high, I don't think the other institutions here would appeal to you (other than the Classes Préparatoires of course, but again that is something else entirely).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending