The Student Room Group

which acid is stronger ?

hey can someone tell me which acid is stronger

1M of HCL OR 2M OF HCL

AND HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Generally acid strength is a measure of dissociation . Hcl is considered to be a strong acid as it goes through complete disassociation . With full dissociation : Hcl conc = hydrogen ion concentration. Therefore the higher the concentration of Hcl, the higher the concentration of the hydrogen ion. Substituting it within the pH formula , you'll find that the higher concentration of Hcl produces a lower ph therefore is a stronger acid.
Reply 2
But which is stronger 1m or 2m
Original post by granard500
But which is stronger 1m or 2m

HCl fully dissociates, so 1M HCl = 1M H+ ions (the measure of acidity) and 1M Cl- ions

2M HCl = 2M H+ ions and 2M Cl- ions

Therefore, which is stronger?

EDIT: Do on your calculator: -log101 and -log102. These are pH values. Therefore, which is a stronger acid?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by thegodofgod
HCl fully dissociates, so 1M HCl = 1M H+ ions (the measure of acidity) and 1M Cl- ions

2M HCl = 2M H+ ions and 2M Cl- ions

Therefore, which is stronger?

Is my explanation correct ? Just paranoid that what I've wrote is wrong aha
Not sure if this is a serious question... :unsure:
Reply 6
Original post by NutterFrutter
Not sure if this is a serious question... :unsure:

Lol but he needs an explanation of why it's stronger
Reply 7
1M means 1 mol/dm3

2M means 2 mol/dm3.

Therefore 2M is stronger.
Original post by EffKayy
Generally acid strength is a measure of dissociation . Hcl is considered to be a strong acid as it goes through complete disassociation . With full dissociation : Hcl conc = hydrogen ion concentration. Therefore the higher the concentration of Hcl, the higher the concentration of the hydrogen ion. Substituting it within the pH formula , you'll find that the higher concentration of Hcl produces a lower ph therefore is a stronger acid.

Good, detailed explanation :biggrin:
Original post by oli_G

Original post by oli_G
1M means 1 mol/dm3

2M means 2 mol/dm3.

Therefore 2M is stronger.

You just confused strength and concentration.
Reply 10

You just confused strength and concentration.

No, the concentration of 1M has less moles than a 2M solution, assuming both are HCl, therefore the 2M is stronger. Obviously, 'more concentrated' is synonymous.
Original post by oli_G

Original post by oli_G
No, the concentration of 1M has less moles than a 2M solution, assuming both are HCl, therefore the 2M is stronger. Obviously, 'more concentrated' is synonymous.

Strength is nothing to do with concentration. Are you doing A2?
Reply 12

Strength is nothing to do with concentration. Are you doing A2?

No, AS. I don't know the difference between conc. and strength. I assumed the OP was also at my level so answered at that level as well.

Is strength to do with how many H+ ions an acid donates or something? :s-smilie:
Original post by oli_G

Original post by oli_G
No, AS. I don't know the difference between conc. and strength. I assumed the OP was also at my level so answered at that level as well.

Is strength to do with how many H+ ions an acid donates or something? :s-smilie:

Yeah, it's to do with the dissociation of an acid. If it fully dissociates it donates a lot of H+ ions so is a strong acid, like HCl.
Reply 14
Strength is about how well it dissociates in water. - this is A2 stuff

Concentration/acidity/ph isn't technically strength, but you can think of it like that. You may lose marks for saying 'stronger'. Correct phrase would be lower ph/more acidic.

2mol has more H+ than 1mol. therefore it's more acidic.The H+ ions are the particles that make a solution acidic they have equal strength, but if you're doing AS, strength is not a word you'll know (in chemistry terms) or should be using.
Reply 15
Original post by Woodworth

Original post by Woodworth
Strength is about how well it dissociates in water. - this is A2 stuff

Concentration/acidity/ph isn't technically strength, but you can think of it like that. You may lose marks for saying 'stronger'. Correct phrase would be lower ph/more acidic.

2mol has more H+ than 1mol. therefore it's more acidic.The H+ ions are the particles that make a solution acidic they have equal strength, but if you're doing AS, strength is not a word you'll know (in chemistry terms) or should be using.

Is HCl the only 'conventional' acid in the AS course that fully dissociates?

Negged for asking a question :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by wibletg

Seriously guys? Strength IS concentration.

Seriously?
which is stronger, 1M of CH3COOH or 1M of HCL? Obviously then strength does not = conc.

Strength is a property relating to how much an acid dissociates in water in addition to conc. of that acid.
Reply 17
Original post by tgarrud
Seriously?
which is stronger, 1M of CH3COOH or 1M of HCL? Obviously then strength does not = conc.

Strength is a property relating to how much an acid dissociates in water in addition to conc. of that acid.

:smile:
This is absolutely correct.
So here the 'stronger acid' is going to be HCL as it fully dissociates.
Reply 18
OK LISTEN HERE!!!

STRENGTH IS A MEASURE OF DISSOCIATION

A WEAK acid does NOT dissociate completely
A STRONG acid dissociates nearly completely

HCl is stronger than an acid such as CH3COOH (ethanoic acid) because it dissociates more readily, ie. the position of equilibrium is further to the right.

CONCENTRATION is a measure of the number of H+ ions in the soloution.

2 mol dm-3 HCl is more concentrated than 1 mol dm-3 because there are more H+ ions, but is EXACTLY the same strength.

To compare the strength of various acids you need to look at the Ka, this is the dissociation constant. The larger the Ka the more dissociated the acid is. Therefore the acid is STRONGER but not nesccisarily more concentrated. However, there is a positive correlation between the relitive strength of an acid and it's concentration.

I hope this clarifies things, there are so many people on here who are eager to show off and give advice who don't actually understand what they are talking about.

There are many acids which fully dissociate such as H2SO4 HNO3 HCl and HBr. There are also many which don't eg H3PO4 CH3COOH

any further question quote me or PM me. thanks, hope i've been helpful.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by oli_G
Is HCl the only 'conventional' acid in the AS course that fully dissociates?

Negged for asking a question :rolleyes:

No idea what you mean by conventional acid, but no...there are many acids in the AS course which are considered to be 'strong' ie, fully dissociated.

H2SO4, HCl, HBr, HNO3, HI and HClO4 are the ones which are generally considered to be strong.

HCl and H2SO4 are the ones you are most likley to come across during your course
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest