Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Very unhappy here...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Side21
the way you think lad, no matter what uni you go to..it'll still feel like a dead end!....Drinking, Smoking, getting pissed is not my regular kind of scene ....but consider joining societies....Don't like any of them?....Then make one!!....create a facebook page ASTON "SOMETHING" SOCIETY.... post it on Aston related pages and see if you get any likes and contact the student guild when you got enough people to be eligible to form the society ( what is the eligible amount btw?)....

In my course I get a lot of people who try and look down at other people ( not comparing one to you ofc! ) but you just gotta be cool with them because they eventually would come back down to earth and they don't feel like being anti-social

10 people.

I honestly think Aston's one of the uni's which has less big drinkers, considering the cultural diversity.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 81
The funniest part of this thread is that the OP's attitude is largest barrier to him/her getting a grad job, not Aston
Original post by Smtn
The funniest part of this thread is that the OP's attitude is largest barrier to him/her getting a grad job, not Aston

Very true! Who wants an employee who looks down on all of their colleagues, simply based on what they enjoy in their spare time or their background?
Original post by analani

Original post by analani
I have to disagree:

Aston is a GREAT university as far as the teaching and standards.

1. The teachers are all approachable, including the security staff.
2. The facilities are clean, modern and accessible
3. The administrative staff are very organised and on point.

What lets the university down is really the student body and its lack of diversity in their interests, which has nothing to do with the actual people running the university or the standards there.

That there are people who drink and do drugs bothers me little- I work with some addicts (but functioning addicts). What bothers me is that most are carbon copies of each other- as if they have been produced in a mass production factory.

Where are the poets? The art enthusiasts? The gays? The overachievers? The sports enthusiasts? Those with strange hobies? The rabid travellers? Essentially- where is the variety in types of people you meet? I thought that was what you expected to find at university?...

I can't speak for the sports societies as I've never joined- I do enough exercise just getting to university! But yes, I joined the French society, and all I’ve experience thus far is ‘lets go drinking’. I was actually hoping to be fluent in French by graduation…but I don’t think the society aims to achieve this.

As for the City, I do think it is a good and attractive city (apart from the Selfridges in the City Centre) with overall very nice and hospitable people, but I'm unsuited to it, for some reason I can't put my finger on...

Just thought I'd add, not EVERYONE at Aston gets drunk all the time and has the same generic interests. The fact the majority of people like getting drunk seems like a sad reason to leave as it seems to be the case everywhere, but fair enough if you don't like the University :smile: I'm a first year at Aston and I never go out to get drunk, so we do exist!

As for languages, I agree that aston doesn't really help much. But why not look around? I do a Japanese Language course in University of Birmingham once a week, which I really enjoy and I get cheap for being a student. They do lots of languages there if you're interested. :smile:

What course do you do by the way? And sorry for posting a few weeks late :3
(edited 12 years ago)
It is reasonably clear from looking at all these posts that Analani is just another non western (most probably Muslim) person who dislikes English culture. The obsession about how much people drink suggests this. For the record, Aston has a huge number of BME students and often I was out numbered by ethnic students. For the purposes of Analani's education: Go to a university with 'non western values' if that is what you desire - go to university in Iran or somewhere like that. There is no need for you to be here! And Aston is a great uni - like everything in life you get out what you put in and if like Analani you start off being bigoted and judgemental then you will get on less well. If you are a nice person, get involved and work hard, you will do well and have a good life. :smile:
Oh, and for another record - I worked my balls off at Aston and certainly did not get drunk all the time...
Reply 86
One goal for graduation: I will be bilingual.

If you want to be bilingual, why don't you sign up to a beginners French class, you'll meet loads of people on it and will love it (my friend does one, this is why I know this)

Also what about your flatmates? Have you not spoken to them at all?
Original post by analani
I have to disagree:

Aston is a GREAT university as far as the teaching and standards.

1. The teachers are all approachable, including the security staff.
2. The facilities are clean, modern and accessible
3. The administrative staff are very organised and on point.

What lets the university down is really the student body and its lack of diversity in their interests, which has nothing to do with the actual people running the university or the standards there.

That there are people who drink and do drugs bothers me little- I work with some addicts (but functioning addicts). What bothers me is that most are carbon copies of each other- as if they have been produced in a mass production factory.

Where are the poets? The art enthusiasts? The gays? The overachievers? The sports enthusiasts? Those with strange hobies? The rabid travellers? Essentially- where is the variety in types of people you meet? I thought that was what you expected to find at university?...

I can't speak for the sports societies as I've never joined- I do enough exercise just getting to university! But yes, I joined the French society, and all I’ve experience thus far is ‘lets go drinking’. I was actually hoping to be fluent in French by graduation…but I don’t think the society aims to achieve this.

As for the City, I do think it is a good and attractive city (apart from the Selfridges in the City Centre) with overall very nice and hospitable people, but I'm unsuited to it, for some reason I can't put my finger on...

Aston doesn't really have any humanities departments.

I see where you're coming from OP. If Aston had been my first university I would have dropped out or transferred. I'd recommend looking for somewhere a bit more interesting.

Original post by analani
Hi,

I'm in my first year at Aston...and despite the staff being very nice and helpful I really am very unhappy here.

From the overall experience to the disappointment I feel of the student experience academically and within group work settings (I could care less about the social aspect as I work weekends, although a laugh here or there is a plus). I know this place is just not for me. It generally feels like an extension of college and not a place where young adults are seeking to evolve and make their mark in the world (with the exception of a few). The Birmingham area is not suited to me either.

If I seek to transfer do you think I will be given a reference by my tutor? Is there anything I can do now to improve my chances?

This is an impression I've got from vocationally-angled courses at a couple of universities. It's not unique to Aston, but I guess you might find it more here because most of the subjects are routes to specific jobs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 88
I go Aston, and i like it here, however its not big when it comes to interests and hobbies, especially with societies, and it does feel like an extension of college sometimes. Even if you don't have the same interests and such with the people here, or can't find a common ground, you can always just appreciate their characters. @ the OP
I would leave if you are feeling unhappy, life is too short, to continue something you are not pleased with.
I want to start up a society but haven't met enough people interested in the subject to get the 3 positions filled so maybe that's were the problems likes, are there hundreds of other people in my position that waiting to pop out with great ideas that could enhanced and broaden the society area?

Mind you, I signed up to about 8 Societies in Freshers Week and have found the Entrepreneurs and Marketing societies the more productive, really pleased with the calbiure of hosts they get to come in and speak - some events were very underattened though!
Reply 90
I am an Aston Student in my first year. I'd just like to say that the issue the OP raised isn't a simple A/B issue. None of the opinions are necessarily accurate or otherwise and everything is debatable.

My opinion:

I am not a drinker/smoker/any of the drug stuff type person. And I don't visit places like that or go with groups like that out of purely my own personal and religious reasons. So the OP is wrong to state that everyone is a drinker or that everyone that is a drinker is like an empty, lifeless cardboard box or whatever which is not true either.

However the OP raises a good point about the people at Aston. Now admittedly I havent joined any societes (I'm not sure how to actually :colondollar: ) but I know for sure that there is a big mix of cultures in the University. The problem lies in the fact that a lot of people (though not all) stick to their 'own kind'. This is annoying for me as I would love to hang around with a group of people from various backgrounds and countries, cultures, with different hobbies, etc. but it isn't happening at all. Part of that is my fault too for not trying so I'm not trying to slag off the Uni for nothing but it's just embedded into the culture of the Uni itself - people stick to their 'own kind' to put it simply. So things are a little stale and uneventful for me and I presume others too which is a shame.

The University reputation is good and the buildings are having some work done too. The student guild building is admittedly the worst things I've ever come across and the main building is going to be torn down sometime in the near future which cant come soon enough as that too also is in need of dire replacement.

As for languages, try the University Wide Language Program which offers languages for £200 or free depending on what course your doing. I am currently doing GCSE Arabic through that. Unfortunately the rest of the languages on offer are the standard stuff offered anywhere else apart from Chinese Mandarin. I wish they would different ones like Korean but I suppose a Korean-proficient lecturer is hard to find in Birmingham perhaps? You will definitely see people all over the world in your language class and the classes are small too 15-25 people max which is a nice change from 300 student lectures.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 91
Hey analani!
Just wanted to say that I kind of relate with your experience at Aston! Even though the reason why i'm not fitting is quite different from yours. Of course I don't want to make generalities, but I agree with the fact that a lot of Aston students are into drinking / clubs. That's not what I mind though, it's nice to have fun time to times... The problem is most of the people I've come across were big extroverts, social butterflies and all... whereas i'm a very shy and introvert person. I don't easily open up unless I feel comfortable and most of the situations i've been in made me feel very awkward. I didn't really find people with common interests here neither :s-smilie:
Where are all the shy people? Hiding i guess ^^'

Anyways good luck with your studies and hope you'll feel better / meet interesting people after transferring!
Reply 92
Aston is amazing!!!

Best decision of my life!!!

Good academics
Good social life
Friends from all over the world
awesome sports centre
awesome career centre
plus more

Quick Reply

Latest