The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why I won't be wearing a poppy, or observing a minute silence

Scroll to see replies

I view it as remembering those who have fallen in war, all wars but mainly the big world wars.

So I will be wearing my poppy, but can't do the silence as I'm at work.

There are parallels.

"Pay structure" :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by JustWonderingWhy
I think you are one of those people who enjoy saying contentious things. You are probably an A-level student who is marginally brighter than average yet considers himself very clever indeed. Having read (well, skimmed) three and a half books outside of your courses you now feel you are educated.

I think your opinions are offensive and adopted through immaturity rather than a position of knowledge.

Your psych profiling of me is neither correct or relevant. Please refer to the flaws of my argument, not my character.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by midpikyrozziy
My first problem with wearing poppies is I despise the guilt trip associated with where the money is allocated

No, it's not really a guilt-trip, it's a more a recognition that young men and women fought against tyranny, genocide, fascism, suppression and denial of liberty. It's a mark of respect that people sacrificed their freedom so you could have yours.

That's not to say that I don't believe they should receive support, far from it. But this should be paid for by the government

And how do the government get their money, hmm? Would that be the tax-payer or are you just one of those who thinks the government get money out of thin air?

Like many others, I opposed the British involvement in Libya and Afghanistan, so I don't see why I should have to pay (albeit a small amount) to support the soldiers who shouldn't have been there in the first place, as well as the tax I already pay that goes towards the armed forces.

There's a difference between opposing a political motive and opposing compassion. You are opposing compassion. If you want to protest against military involvement in Libya and Afghanistan, there are far more greater, more effective ways of going about than emulating a perpetulant child throwing their toys out.

Secondly, I find it a bit perverse that poppies and Remembrance Sunday only seem to honour and respect those who lost their lives for Allied forces in World War II.

Once again, you've missed the point about what the poppy means. It is a recognition of soldiers who defended the very values and liberties you take for granted today.

Psychological studies have shown that good people can, in the right situation, be driven to commit terrible acts, so it's not a simple case of 'good vs bad'.

I'd like you to name these psychological studies so we can observe the context. Indeed, it is quite astonishing how a state like Nazi Germany, a cultured and civilised nation, had citizens who bought into the Final Solution, ordinary people like you and I. But this is again, not the point, the point is the recognition of the sacrifices men and women have made for liberty.

But I won't do this at a specially allocated time and then just go on with my life the next day, I'll do it whenever I feel it is particularly poignant or meaningful to do so. Might be every day for a month, might not be at all for a year. Either way, it should be on our own terms, not just because we're told to.

I would say it is quite fitting that not just a national, but international day of mourning and remembrance is a most suitable day to reflect on men and women's lives who were lost in both conflicts. You come across as some radicalist who is conforming to their own individual beliefs because they are so supreme. There's nothing wrong with that per sé, but when you spout ignorance that we''re 'told' to allocate time for remembrance, that is just plain wrong. We don't live in a police state that if we do not conform to the nation's values, we are then convicted and imprisoned. Quite the contrary. Ironically, it is those that you are remembering who sacrificed their life in world war two to stop such a thing happening.

I don't really feel the need to wear a symbol stating that I am against hundreds of thousands of deaths in horrible conditions.

Then please reconsider the liberties you have, because this comes across as again, as a spoilt little child who has run away with the fascination of radical beliefs, a 'taking it to the man', type of attitude.
I never wear a poppy as I'm not big on symbolic gestures. And I know it's not the intention of the poppy appeal, but I also find it pretty perverse that the war dead should only be remembered at this 1 time of year then forgotten again afterwards.

I'm sure many posting here won't just "forget" afterwards, but what exactly is the point then? If it's a symbol of remembrance, gratitude etc. it should be worn for the entire year.
Reply 25
My first problem with wearing poppies is I despise the guilt trip associated with where the money is allocated, that is to the support of injured/killed servicemen and their families. That's not to say that I don't believe they should receive support, far from it. But this should be paid for by the government, by the same people who actually made the decision to send these people to war. Like many others, I opposed the British involvement in Libya and Afghanistan, so I don't see why I should have to pay (albeit a small amount) to support the soldiers who shouldn't have been there in the first place, as well as the tax I already pay that goes towards the armed forces.

Secondly, I find it a bit perverse that poppies and Remembrance Sunday only seem to honour and respect those who lost their lives for Allied forces in World War II. Throughout history thousands of wars have been fought, in which a countless amount of lives have been lost. Psychological studies have shown that good people can, in the right situation, be driven to commit terrible acts, so it's not a simple case of 'good vs bad'. Therefore, I choose to honour and respect all those who have lost their lives in war on whatever side. But I won't do this at a specially allocated time and then just go on with my life the next day, I'll do it whenever I feel it is particularly poignant or meaningful to do so. Might be every day for a month, might not be at all for a year. Either way, it should be on our own terms, not just because we're told to.

I would consider wearing a white poppy as a symbol of peace, but I think this message just goes without saying. There are very few people who would actually advocate war over another peaceful choice, unless of course it was the only way. I don't really feel the need to wear a symbol stating that I am against hundreds of thousands of deaths in horrible conditions.

Anyone agree with me and also not wearing a poppy/observing a minute silence, or am I just a horrible person?

I agree to an extent. I would be willing to bet that a number of people who have negged you are basically assuming that you don't think it is worth remembering them.
I willingly donate towards the fund and I do wear a poppy but you're right, the money should come from the government. This is true of a lot of charity. Cancer research should be funded by the government. Poverty should be tackled by the government. But in the economic climate it isn't going to happen and so I still donate to charity, until hopefully one day those in the 1% are finally prepared to tighten their belts a bit and actually pay the taxes they should be paying.
Reply 26
Original post by siwelmail
Paid for by the gov't: = increase taxes so you're gunna have to pay for it anyway.

Throughout history bla bla countless wars: WW1 was "The Great War" not WW1 at the time, because it was THE worst thing which had ever happened, WW2 then being the worst war (defining 'worst' broadly) ever.

Not doing it at a special time: You can do it whenever, but because of the significance of the time/date etc, it suits it well to do that.

I don't wear a poppy because it upsets my family (from S.Ire) but I don't really know why.

I do think about what you're 'supposed' to reflect on during that minute silence though.

Original post by Tommyjw
Government already pay money towards it. Them paying more = more taxes for you anyway. This just adds to that, just like charities and red nose day and all that. So what you are opposed to the more recent conflicts, are you also opposed to both world war 1 and world war 2 and our involvement in those?

We do not remember 'only world war 2' It's from World war 1, and onward really. For all servicemen who lost their lives. We do not do the same for the 'opposing' countries as they are just that, our enemies, or were, and anyway.. certainly people will still thinking about it. I know my family and events i have been to specifically say to remember ALL people involved, not necessarily stating only allied forces.

Why would you wear a white one not a red one? That are red for a symbolic reason of the fields across.. Flanders?

If taxes had to be increased in order to give sufficient support for injured/killed servicemen and their families, then I'm all for it. Personally, I think avoidance is a better policy (ie shouldn't be involved in these wars in the first place), but if there were really no way of re-shuffling the way tax money is being spent to pay for these things, I'd definitely be willing to pay more. It's as essential as healthcare or education.

Officially they say it's for the victims of all wars, but don't pretend that anything other than allied forces in World War II is anything more than a sidenote. Watch any Remembrance Day event and you'll see what I mean.
Original post by ILoveNyanCat
I got warned for stating the truth.

Thats because people most of the time don't like hearing the truth. You're right though, he shouldn't have an opinion
Reply 28
This is a public forum for debate, so I thought I'd raise a contentious topic for debate. I wouldn't call posting online making 'a big song and dance about it', I'm just interested in people's opinions. And I think it is forced upon us somewhat (eg being forced to observe minute silence throughout school, asked to justify yourself if you're not wearing a poppy etc), more than any other charity anyway.

It's only 'contentious' because people like you mix up the messages. The belief that the Poppy symbolises anything other than someone's voluntary show of support for ex-servicemen and their families is, frankly, childish. Did wearing a Poppy in 1919 mean you supported WWI? How about in 1946? Or in 1982? So why all of a sudden does a Poppy mean you agree/d with Afghanistan or Iraq? I'm an ex-serviceman, I dislike both. Do I not wear a poppy because of that? Nope.

It's made a bigger spectacle than most, sure, but doesn't mean you need do anything about it. And is staying quiet for a minute that much of a hassle, even if you disagree with the cause? Wouldn't you be quiet during a school lesson anyway?
Reply 29

Officially they say it's for the victims of all wars, but don't pretend that anything other than allied forces in World War II is anything more than a sidenote. Watch any Remembrance Day event and you'll see what I mean.

It was started because of/after World War I .... ....
Reply 30
Remembrance Sunday doesn't have to just be about allied forces, of course a nations own military will typically be the main focus of the remembrance however all casualties of war are remembered.

I have a friend, one of his grandparents was in the Royal artillery and one of his grandparents was in the Fallschirmjager, he uses remembrance day to remember both his grandparents.

I would love to have seen the first time the family got together...
If taxes had to be increased in order to give sufficient support for injured/killed servicemen and their families, then I'm all for it. Personally, I think avoidance is a better policy (ie shouldn't be involved in these wars in the first place), but if there were really no way of re-shuffling the way tax money is being spent to pay for these things, I'd definitely be willing to pay more. It's as essential as healthcare or education.

You have made yourself look quite silly, now. Do I take it that your understanding of history is so thorough that you think remembrance day dates to WW2? Maybe you should consider reading a little more and posting a little less?
Reply 32
I work in a hotel and they're not permitted for "health and safety" reasons.

someone may trip and fall on the curved paper petals if one ends up on the floor.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by VeniViciVidi
No, it's not really a guilt-trip, it's a more a recognition that young men and women fought against tyranny, genocide, fascism, suppression and denial of liberty. It's a mark of respect that people sacrificed their freedom so you could have yours.

And how do the government get their money, hmm? Would that be the tax-payer or are you just one of those who thinks the government get money out of thin air?

I'd be perfectly willing to pay increased taxes if this were the only way that the government could pay for this aid. Of course this isn't the case, but hypothetically, I'd be happy to.

There's a difference between opposing a political motive and opposing compassion. You are opposing compassion. If you want to protest against military involvement in Libya and Afghanistan, there are far more greater, more effective ways of going about than emulating a perpetulant child throwing their toys out.

Once again, you've missed the point about what the poppy means. It is a recognition of soldiers who defended the very values and liberties you take for granted today.

I don't oppose compassion, what a ridiculous accusation. I have compassion for both sets of soldiers involved in recent conflicts. Yet the Poppy appeal only helps our forces. I'd be far more willing to donate an equal amount to helping those on both sides, or better still, promoting peace so that the need for this aid is made redundant.

I'd like you to name these psychological studies so we can observe the context. Indeed, it is quite astonishing how a state like Nazi Germany, a cultured and civilised nation, had citizens who bought into the Final Solution, ordinary people like you and I. But this is again, not the point, the point is the recognition of the sacrifices men and women have made for liberty.

Certainly, look at any of Zimbardo's work into deindividuation, or at Milgram's famous obedience to authority experiment, and you'll see that ordinary people can be easily manipulated in performing 'evil' acts. Chances are the vast majority of Nazi soldiers were very similar to those they were fighting against (similar to Christmas truce in WWI.)
Reply 34

You've never watched the Cenotaph Service or the RBL's Festival of Rememberance, have you? Both of those feature heavily all parts of the Forces, all ages. Obviously, there are no WWI survivors anymore, and every year there are fewer WWII survivors, but Korea is remembered. Suez is remembered, the Falklands are remembered, Iraq 90/91 is remembered.

If you only have a passing interest in such things, then you don't notice, because superficially the difference is little, after all, one old guy in a regimental blazer wearing medals looks like another one, what does it matter that the wars they fought in were 20years apart?

I've been in countless Remembrance Day parades, in none of them is a focus put on any one conflict to the expense of another.
Reply 35
Original post by Tommyjw
It was started because of/after World War I .... ....

You have made yourself look quite silly, now. Do I take it that your understanding of history is so thorough that you think remembrance day dates to WW2? Maybe you should consider reading a little more and posting a little less?

My mistake, I meant World Wars I and II. Original point about all the other wars throughout history still stands.
I think you are one of those people who enjoy saying contentious things. You are probably an A-level student who is marginally brighter than average yet considers himself very clever indeed. Having read (well, skimmed) three and a half books outside of your courses you now feel you are educated.

I think your opinions are offensive and adopted through immaturity rather than a position of knowledge.

This has to be one of the best comments I've ever seen :lol:
Original post by abc:)
I agree to an extent. I would be willing to bet that a number of people who have negged you are basically assuming that you don't think it is worth remembering them.
I willingly donate towards the fund and I do wear a poppy but you're right, the money should come from the government. This is true of a lot of charity. Cancer research should be funded by the government. Poverty should be tackled by the government. But in the economic climate it isn't going to happen and so I still donate to charity, until hopefully one day those in the 1% are finally prepared to tighten their belts a bit and actually pay the taxes they should be paying.

It is... To a huge extent actually. Cancer research UK is just a private entity that provides extra grants to make it easier to get funding for studies specific to cancer. If a study stands on its own merit it will get funding. I get your point but you chose a poor example- in fact when you think about it, there are very few charities that operate in an area where the government provides no funding
Reply 38
My first problem with wearing poppies is I despise the guilt trip associated with where the money is allocated, that is to the support of injured/killed servicemen and their families. That's not to say that I don't believe they should receive support, far from it. But this should be paid for by the government, by the same people who actually made the decision to send these people to war. Like many others, I opposed the British involvement in Libya and Afghanistan, so I don't see why I should have to pay (albeit a small amount) to support the soldiers who shouldn't have been there in the first place, as well as the tax I already pay that goes towards the armed forces.

Secondly, I find it a bit perverse that poppies and Remembrance Sunday only seem to honour and respect those who lost their lives for Allied forces in World War II. Throughout history thousands of wars have been fought, in which a countless amount of lives have been lost. Psychological studies have shown that good people can, in the right situation, be driven to commit terrible acts, so it's not a simple case of 'good vs bad'. Therefore, I choose to honour and respect all those who have lost their lives in war on whatever side. But I won't do this at a specially allocated time and then just go on with my life the next day, I'll do it whenever I feel it is particularly poignant or meaningful to do so. Might be every day for a month, might not be at all for a year. Either way, it should be on our own terms, not just because we're told to.

I would consider wearing a white poppy as a symbol of peace, but I think this message just goes without saying. There are very few people who would actually advocate war over another peaceful choice, unless of course it was the only way. I don't really feel the need to wear a symbol stating that I am against hundreds of thousands of deaths in horrible conditions.

Anyone agree with me and also not wearing a poppy/observing a minute silence, or am I just a horrible person?

i agree with 50%
Reply 39
Original post by overtherainbow
It is... To a huge extent actually. Cancer research UK is just a private entity that provides extra grants to make it easier to get funding for studies specific to cancer. If a study stands on its own merit it will get funding. I get your point but you chose a poor example- in fact when you think about it, there are very few charities that operate in an area where the government provides no funding

I think all of the examples I can think of do receive SOME funding of some description from the government but what I think and what maybe OP means as well is that it clearly isn't sufficient if there have to be so many charities, and so prominent as well.

- but thanks for the heads up, it was just the first one that came to mind

Latest

Trending

Trending