The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Modern Languages Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gales
Woo! You emailed a couple of days before me, so she'll hopefully reply to me soon! :biggrin:

Are you thinking of firming UCL? :smile:

I'm sure she will! That's one thing I've noticed with UCL - they can take a while to respond to you, but I guess quite a lot of unis are like that. :s-smilie:

Erm, I'm really leaning towards firming UCL at the moment, especially since I've yet to hear from Durham. I still have my worries about it being so far from home and costs, but I'm hoping the open day will help me make my decision. Quite apprehensive about the open day, though. xD

How about you? Did you feel the open day helped you to make your desicion? :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 101
Original post by SimplyComplex
I'm sure she will! That's one thing I've noticed with UCL - they can take a while to respond to you, but I guess quite a lot of unis are like that. :s-smilie:

Erm, I'm really leaning towards firming UCL at the moment, especially since I've yet to hear from Durham. I still have my worries about it being so far from home and costs, but I'm hoping the open day will help me make my decision. Quite apprehensive about the open day, though. xD

How about you? Did you feel the open day helped you to make your desicion? :smile:

I think it's because Gemma has to reply to a couple of hundred people, she covers all languages (except those at the SSEES).

Yes! Hated it when I arrived because everyone was rushing around (arrived during rush hour) but then things calmed down, we walked around the campus and I loved it! It's like its own little town within London, plus the day I turned up they had a lovely market on the UCL campus with lots of deliciously smelling fresh food :love:. I think I'm definitely going to firm now.

You do know about the UCL Undergrad Bursaries right? If you do firm, PM me and add me on facebook? I'm quite shy so it would be nice to know someone before I go :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Gales
I think it's because Gemma has to reply to a couple of hundred people, she covers all languages (except those at the SSEES).

Yes! Hated it when I arrived because everyone was rushing around (arrived during rush hour) but then things calmed down, we walked around the campus and I loved it! It's like its own little town within London, plus the day I turned up they had a lovely market on the UCL campus with lots of deliciously smelling fresh food :love:. I think I'm definitely going to firm now.

You do know about the UCL Undergrad Bursaries right? If you do firm, PM me and add me on facebook? I'm quite shy so it would be nice to know someone before I go :colondollar:

Aah, I understand. I'm just glad to have got an update on the situation - I've emailed some unis in the past and they've just ignored my emails. :colone: I know ringing up is quicker, but I'm not so great talking to people I don't know on the phone..

London can be a bit overwhelming during rush hour. I've visited a few times before, but I've never been to the Bloomsbury area. That's reassuring to hear about it being like a little town.. Coming from such a big city, I'm not sure about how I feel living in to an even bigger city. At the same time, I can't think of a better place to spend one's uni years; especially for us language students. London's so multi-cultural. My friends at college think I'm crazy for wanting to move so far away, though..

I haven't looked at the bursaries yet, but I've been checking out the scholarships. I may apply for one, if I decide to firm. I think my parents are more wary about costs than me, though. The train costs to London are pretty high, especially at short notice. I'm making the effort to go down though, because if it's where I'm going to spend 4 years and end up in debt over, looking/reading up about it on the internet isn't enough.

And sure thing! I'm the same, but we're all in the same boat. :smile:
Reply 103
Don't worry about moving to a bigger city! You'll get to know London in no time at all, especially Oxford Street, which is only a 10 minute walk from the main Bloomsbury campus. :smile: I only live about 30 minutes away from UCL so would be happy to point out the best places to go in the area. :smile:
Can I ask a question? I'm not applying this year, but I'm just wondering out of interest. In the online prospectus, it says that to study something such as Scandanavian Studies a language at A Level is "preferred". Does this mean that you only have a small chance of getting in if you haven't taken a language at A Level? I'm sure this has been answered before but I can't find anything...

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Reply 105
I firmed UCL a few weeks ago, but am yet to get a letter about student accommodation. Anyone else in the same situation?
Firmed for Italian and ab initio Finnish yesterday! I'm so looking forward to studying at UCL :smile: Can't say I'm not nervous about it, though
Reply 107
I firmed about a week ago! :biggrin:

Original post by queeniewolf
Firmed for Italian and ab initio Finnish yesterday! I'm so looking forward to studying at UCL :smile: Can't say I'm not nervous about it, though

I'm not either, just incredibly excited! :biggrin:
Can't decide if I should firm UCL or Durham, having a bit of a dilemma. :P
Reply 109
Original post by thisisaweirdbus
Can't decide if I should firm UCL or Durham, having a bit of a dilemma. :P

I firmed UCL and put Durham as insurance. :smile:
Original post by lowri
I firmed UCL and put Durham as insurance. :smile:

Thanks for the reply. :smile: Which course have you applied for? I would quite like to be able to do that, but both are asking for the same grades, and I think Nottingham's going to be my insurance.
Reply 111
Thanks for the reply. :smile: Which course have you applied for? I would quite like to be able to do that, but both are asking for the same grades, and I think Nottingham's going to be my insurance.

I applied for French and German at both. Ahh, that's annoying that both are asking for the same grades. I ultimately chose UCL over Durham as I'm quite a statistics nerd, and UCL is more acknowledged worldwide and has better employment prospects according to league tables.
Ah right. :smile: I think I'm leaning more towards UCL at the moment, but I keep changing my mind. :P Good luck. :smile:
Reply 113
Ah right. :smile: I think I'm leaning more towards UCL at the moment, but I keep changing my mind. :P Good luck. :smile:

I know; it's a difficult one. Have you been to look round both?
Original post by lowri
I know; it's a difficult one. Have you been to look round both?

I have, really liked them both. :P But I'm pathetically indecisive.
Reply 115
I have, really liked them both. :P But I'm pathetically indecisive.

To be fair, it is the next 4 years of your life so better to be like this than to make too rash decisions!
Just firmed UCL for French and Russian! Anyone else doing either of these languages firmed?
Reply 117
Original post by purpleelement
Just firmed UCL for French and Russian! Anyone else doing either of these languages firmed?

I firmed for French and Spanish :smile:
Original post by Gales
I firmed for French and Spanish :smile:

Awesome :smile: Did you go to the open day? what did you think of the French department?
Reply 119
Original post by purpleelement
Awesome :smile: Did you go to the open day? what did you think of the French department?

Yup! did you? I liked it, but the native French lecturer seemed a *little* boring, but we'll see. What did you think? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending