The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Modern Languages Applicants

Hey,

Who here is applying for Modern Lanuages at UCL? And which languages have you applied for?
I can imagine this is going to very varied considering the huge amount of languages on offer.

I'm applying for German and Swedish...anybody else? I'm a bit of a loner here :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AllesWirdGut
Hey,

Who here is applying for Modern Lanuages at UCL? And which languages have you applied for?
I can imagine this is going to very varied considering the huge amount of languages on offer.

I'm applying for German and Swedish...anybody else? I'm a bit of a loner here :wink:

Hiya! I've applied for Hispanic Studies, and haven't heard back yet :frown: Just have an acknowledgement so far.. :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Taurus05
Hiya! I've applied for Hispanic Studies, and haven't heard back yet :frown: Just have an acknowledgement so far.. :smile:

Hispanic studies - sounds good. Are you hoping to have UCL as your firm if you get an offer?
I've heard some people getting some kind of questionnaire? But no such luck xD
Reply 3
I applied for French and Spanish, doubt I'll get an offer though.
Reply 4
Original post by Lewis :D

Don't be so pessimistic! I'm a bit worried about getting rejected too, but there's no harm in trying :wink:
Where else have you applied?
Reply 5
Don't be so pessimistic! I'm a bit worried about getting rejected too, but there's no harm in trying :wink:
Where else have you applied?

Haha! Southampton, King's, Nottingham and Aberystwyth. I'm not too fussed on UCL actually, I don't think their course matches what I'd like to do, I should've looked into it more before sending it off really :lol:
I'm applying for single honours French. I'd definitely like to try and pick up Swedish as well, though. So far, only a few people I think have got the language questionnaire, so I wouldn't worry too much. :smile:
Reply 7
Haha! Southampton, King's, Nottingham and Aberystwyth. I'm not too fussed on UCL actually, I don't think their course matches what I'd like to do, I should've looked into it more before sending it off really :lol:

Nottingham is amazing - if I didn't live there I would have applied. Don't know much about the others. Ahh I see xD Haha yes I didn't look TOO much into it in case I got rejected and loved the course. This way - I won't be too disappointed when I get my rejection :wink:

Original post by SimplyComplex
I'm applying for single honours French. I'd definitely like to try and pick up Swedish as well, though. So far, only a few people I think have got the language questionnaire, so I wouldn't worry too much. :smile:

So no other scandinavian studies applicants? Feeling a little lonely here. =( Ah good that it's not everybody -I don't know who they're sending it out to anyway - just a bit weird that they have got theirs first. I didn't even know I had to do one! Just shows my organisational skills :wink:
Reply 8
Hispanic studies - sounds good. Are you hoping to have UCL as your firm if you get an offer?
I've heard some people getting some kind of questionnaire? But no such luck xD

Well, yeah kinda. Maybe. Either UCL or Bristol.. And nope, I haven't got a questionnaire from them, forget getting an offer :tongue: I really want to hear from at least one uni soon!
Reply 9

What are your predicted grades? And were you happy with your personal statement? :biggrin:
Reply 10
What are your predicted grades? And were you happy with your personal statement? :biggrin:

AAA, and yeah, I loved my personal statement. I just don't think I'm a good student overall compared to the other UCL applicants I've seen here :lol:
Reply 11
AAA, and yeah, I loved my personal statement. I just don't think I'm a good student overall compared to the other UCL applicants I've seen here :lol:

That's kind of what I feel. I am also predicted AAA and was really happy with my personal statement... We'll see! Good luck with yours!
Reply 12
That's kind of what I feel. I am also predicted AAA and was really happy with my personal statement... We'll see! Good luck with yours!

You too! Do you want to go to UCL? I'm not that keen anymore. I checked out the courses in Southampton and King's and they seem to be more 'me'. Where else did you apply to?

You probably will. Haven't you gotten offers from two of your four other choices? You don't have much to worry about.

So no other scandinavian studies applicants? Feeling a little lonely here.

I swore I saw another Scandinavian language applicant around, but I couldn't say who. Don't feel lonely though. I haven't found anyone else taking my language either and doubt I will. I applied last month and haven't heard back apart from an acknowledgement, but UCL is my last choice so I won't be bothered when the rejection comes.
Reply 14
You too! Do you want to go to UCL? I'm not that keen anymore. I checked out the courses in Southampton and King's and they seem to be more 'me'. Where else did you apply to?

Well, I don't really know yet. If I go to UCL I'll probably have to stay at home as I already live in London... Depends if I get an offer or not! I wouldn't be that upset if I don't get an offer, but obviously would be happy if I did. I applied to Bristol, Sheffield, Sussex and Essex :smile:
I applied to UCL to do French and ab initio Russian but so far nothing back :/
Reply 16
Original post by miami horror
I swore I saw another Scandinavian language applicant around, but I couldn't say who. Don't feel lonely though. I haven't found anyone else taking my language either and doubt I will. I applied last month and haven't heard back apart from an acknowledgement, but UCL is my last choice so I won't be bothered when the rejection comes.

Need to find them! Comeee onn other Scandy applicant.What have you applied for?
Seems that a lot of people have other universities as their preferred option. Why is UCL your last choice? I'd love to go, I'm just worried about the cash situation xD Other cities are just so much cheaper to live in.

Original post by purpleelement
I applied to UCL to do French and ab initio Russian but so far nothing back :/

Wow, Russian! I did that for a year and wish I'd thrown myself into it more - it's such a lovely sounding language, but I just never got to grips with it. And by the sounds of it not many people have heard much so you shouldn't worry, I don't think :smile:

Have applications for UCL gone down this year?
Wow, Russian! I did that for a year and wish I'd thrown myself into it more - it's such a lovely sounding language, but I just never got to grips with it. And by the sounds of it not many people have heard much so you shouldn't worry, I don't think

Yeah! The Cyrillic alphabet is a bit intimidating but I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into it. Dreading the interview from UCL (if I get one)!
Reply 18
Original post by purpleelement
Yeah! The Cyrillic alphabet is a bit intimidating but I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into it. Dreading the interview from UCL (if I get one)!

Would be a bit scary - but if you want to go there then I suppose it's worth it. Only two of my choices require interviews...so no worries there!

[QUOTE="AllesWirdGut;34846166"]Need to find them! Comeee onn other Scandy applicant.What have you applied for?

I have applied for Scandinavian Studies & Management. There is someone else who has applied for Scandinavian Studies & History of Art I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending