The Student Room Group

Working at KFC

Has anybody worked at KFC? There's a part time job going in a store quite near me and I was thinking of applying to give myself some extra income.

Anyway I just wanted to know what it's like working there and if it's crappy and should be avoided.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hamijack

I think it taste better than McDs.
Reply 2
Original post by LaughingBro
I think it taste better than McDs.

I agree, but that's not what I asked :P
The quality of job at KFC is the same as McDonald's which is the same as Burger King which is the same all similar companies.
How is Psychology going, Hami? :smile:
Has anybody worked at KFC? There's a part time job going in a store quite near me and I was thinking of applying to give myself some extra income.

Anyway I just wanted to know what it's like working there and if it's crappy and should be avoided.

Avoid it if you can get something better, if not just go for it.
I wouldn't - fast food/retail is soul destroying. If you've experienced it before and are willing to put yourself through that then good for you but otherwise look for something else - it's bloody awful, you get the dregs of society verbally abusing you and you just have to grin and bear it.
It can be absolutely awful at times, at my KFC if it's busy the managers will start shouting from in the kitchen "GET THIS QUEUE MOVING!!!", and we're constantly told we need to move faster, even when it just isn't physically possible. The restaurant manager shouted at a new member of staff who finisher her shift with tears in her eyes, and she also made one of the experienced members of staff actually cry when she literally shouted at her in front of all the customers and staff when she was 'moving too slow" - she then was told to go home because she was in such a state.

But don't let this put you off - I reckon this is just my store. Since it's a franchise the manager is under a lot of pressure to make money, although nothing justifies treating your staff the ways she does!

To be completely honest, the hours are bad, the pay is just over minimum wage and, contrary to popular belief, you don't get any free chicken! It is, however, a bit of an extra money which does quickly add up, especially if you get paid every two weeks like me. If you really need the money there's no harm in giving it a go. For me, I was on trial for 4 weeks, and in that time I could be fired without notice, but I could also quit without notice and that would be that. So if you take it and then really don't like it - quit! If you find it OK - you've got a job!
Reply 8
Original post by helzz94
It can be absolutely awful at times, at my KFC if it's busy the managers will start shouting from in the kitchen "GET THIS QUEUE MOVING!!!", and we're constantly told we need to move faster, even when it just isn't physically possible. The restaurant manager shouted at a new member of staff who finisher her shift with tears in her eyes, and she also made one of the experienced members of staff actually cry when she literally shouted at her in front of all the customers and staff when she was 'moving too slow" - she then was told to go home because she was in such a state.

But don't let this put you off - I reckon this is just my store. Since it's a franchise the manager is under a lot of pressure to make money, although nothing justifies treating your staff the ways she does!

To be completely honest, the hours are bad, the pay is just over minimum wage and, contrary to popular belief, you don't get any free chicken! It is, however, a bit of an extra money which does quickly add up, especially if you get paid every two weeks like me. If you really need the money there's no harm in giving it a go. For me, I was on trial for 4 weeks, and in that time I could be fired without notice, but I could also quit without notice and that would be that. So if you take it and then really don't like it - quit! If you find it OK - you've got a job!

Reply 9
The worst job I've had in my life ! I just only work for two days... kfc is just ****... the way they making food and the management system was horrible...
Don't do it. I worked there last month and lasted an hour and a half. I went in the next day, handed over my uniform and told them to stick it.

I was told I'd be trained on the tills to begin with, but they ended up putting me on drive-through packing the orders. I was put with 2 women who barely spoke English, and just shouted orders at me. I didn't even know what half of the items were because I'd never been told, and I don't eat there. The managers were poor, and honestly it was just awful. But if you really need the money, then I guess it would be manageable.
Reply 11
Compared to other similar companies, I feel kfc compare quite poorly. I was offered a trainee manager's position there and when I went to start I was told I'd be paid minimum wage during my training period. Not discussed at interview at all. Due to my age at the time that would have been under £5 an hour. You have to pay for your own uniform! If you do any of their training then leave before a YEAR has passed, they take £100s of pounds off your final pay to cover these. There's no need for anyone to put up with terms like that. I'd suggest you went somewhere else, other similar companies do not behave like this.
Reply 12

Working at kfc isn't anything like described by others , if anything you've got the worst end of the stick and its a long long stick. i work at KFC in portsmouth and could hardly give it a word wrong , for the first few weeks you have to work hard and cope with the busyness and amount of customers , but after that , when you get to know your co workers it becomes much more motivated and fun.

sure the wage is poor , but what do you expect its probably your first job!

the main thing is its cash while you study and its EXPERIENCE

NO EXPERIENCE = NO JOB , NO JOB = NO EXPERIENCE

even if you hate it when you come out of it you'll have a reference !

from my point of view the people are great , the work is fun (but very hard) and you get benefits and paid WEEKLY (which is great for cash flow management of a person at college)

maybe the only downside is that if you're a generic lazy teenager , they will shout at you , and they will make you feel like **** , because its their job to ... they don't hate you that just want to make you work hard and learn what hard work really is!

and finally if you think you're 'too good' for KFC then change your ways because atleast 50% of my collegues at my level (team member) have masters degrees etc.

TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY
Hey guys. I'm vegetarian. Would it be weird for me to work at kfc?
Original post by chelseafan

They don't force you to eat the food you know.
Reply 15
As long as you don't mind handling meat, then no.
I don't mind at all. Just a couple of my mates been calling me a 'hypocrite' for applying.
Reply 17
Original post by chelseafan

Hey, no I have a friend who works with me at KFC and she finds it fine :biggrin:
Reply 18
KFC is a terrible place to work! Especially when put on back drive thru, you get forgotten about can't even go the toilet when desperate end up with no break what so ever even on a 10 hour shift and also you never Finnish when your shift is meant to of ended I have worked at KFC for a few months now and I have had a few times where I just want to walk out but I need the money and it's very hard to find a job in my city at the moment I am 19 and am sick of my job already I really want want to give up but do I have a choice ?
Reply 19
And I forgot to mention the managers shift runners etc sit and have granny meetings whilst all us team members are working as hard as we can under a lot of pressure ! It's unfair. And the grief you get off customers and kids lying and trashing the lobby for you to clean it all up it's not worth the minimum wage at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending