Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2011 Abu Dhabi F1 GP thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc Fiorano)
    That was a fairly good race, had a bit of overtaking action and some little battles. It was definitely an improvement on previous years and miles better than the snooze fest in India which felt like Bahrain all over again.

Kind of gutted about Vettel because I was hoping to see a epic battle with Hamilton...although judging from the lead he pulled in just two corners he might have just ran away with it. How does he manage to pull such a massive gap in the first corner???

Epic start from Alonso, driver of the day for me, once again putting the car where it doesn't belong. Meanwhile, Massa fails to keep the car pointing in the right direction.

Good win for Hamilton he's always been quick around this circuit any way.
    I have to agree- Vettel would probally have run off into the distance again. I would love to know what he is doing that is making him do so much better than Webber.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    True but no offence to Webber he's not the best driver in F1 atm.

Vettel would have a tougher fight with Hamilton or Alonso or Kubica(pre-rally crash) as a team mate.

An awesome move for next year would be for Red Bull to fire WEbber for not winning a race this year in the best car and hire Raikkonnen who could come and give Vettel a run for his money.

Very impressive consistency...
    Now I'm mad at you. Webber is one of my other favourite drivers (in fact, slightly ahead of Rubens, with Kobay close behind :love:).

I just watched the first few laps on iplayer, then it stopped and said it wasn't available anymore :confused:

What an :awesome: few laps though :dance:
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~)
    Now I'm mad at you. Webber is one of my other favourite drivers (in fact, slightly ahead of Rubens, with Kobay close behind :love:).

I just watched the first few laps on iplayer, then it stopped and said it wasn't available anymore :confused:

What an :awesome: few laps though :dance:
    those were the best laps
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see hamilton in his "Happy Place" Now, That was just a poor excuse he used while he was being absolutly beaten by Button! Nice to see Alonso bossing that ferrari! Im glad he brings 0.6tenths to a team! It shows as Massa is always 0.7Tenths behind him! The rumours coming from maranello for next season sound amazing!
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stringer987)
    Nice to see Alonso bossing that ferrari! Im glad he brings 0.6tenths to a team! It shows as Massa is always 0.7Tenths behind him! The rumours coming from maranello for next season sound amazing!
    Yea, Massa really isn't doing well lately whilst Alonso is on form so it really shows a massive difference between them...

What rumours?

Also, dispute over race contracts halts construction at US
    Track in Austin...
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96246
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yea, Massa really isn't doing well lately whilst Alonso is on form so it really shows a massive difference between them...

What rumours?
    On the BBC rumours page they link to a reputable blog which says that apparently Ferrari have told Kubica that a seat is waiting for him when he's fully fit to return.

I personally don't buy it, there's no way Ferrari (or Alonso, for that matter) would allow a driver like Kubica to pair up with Alonso.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    On the BBC rumours page they link to a reputable blog which says that apparently Ferrari have told Kubica that a seat is waiting for him when he's fully fit to return.

I personally don't buy it, there's no way Ferrari (or Alonso, for that matter) would allow a driver like Kubica to pair up with Alonso.
    There best friends, Alonso flew to be by his bedside just after had had an accident.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

What rumours?

Also, dispute over race contracts halts construction at US
    Track in Austin...
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96246
    I will try and find all the Tweets, but mainly Rory Bryne has alot more to do with this car than what ferrari are letting on.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    There best friends, Alonso flew to be by his bedside just after had had an accident.
    They may be best friends, but would they work in a team? Alonso will want to be number 1, and I'm not sure Kubica would be happy in that role.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    They may be best friends, but would they work in a team? Alonso will want to be number 1, and I'm not sure Kubica would be happy in that role.
    ??
    Will Kubica even return? From Massa's form from his accident i dont think Ferrari will take on the risk.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    ??
    Will Kubica even return? From Massa's form from his accident i dont think Ferrari will take on the risk.
    They might if he has proven himself elsewhere first. But I can't see Kubica being back in an F1 car before the middle if not the end of next year, even just for a test. Is he even training at the moment?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    They might if he has proven himself elsewhere first. But I can't see Kubica being back in an F1 car before the middle if not the end of next year, even just for a test. Is he even training at the moment?
    No, the longer it is silent, i fear the worse even more we are left waiting to here of how he is getting on.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware of this.
    Kimi is also a very good friend of Alonso's. But neither of them would be paired up against him, being friends has little relevance in sporting competition. Ferrari have employed a 1-2 driver system for ages and with Alonso signing a contract in 2016 he must have demanded a clear number 1 status in the deal.

I suspect they'll continue to do what they (and Red Bull) are doing now, in having a driver who is naturally not quick enough to pose any challenge to Alonso in a way that a 1-2 driver hierarchy is established even without contractually creating one.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ferrari would be more likely to have someone like Perez than Kubica (yes I did see the article and I believe it, but I doubt they would go through with it.)
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:

WEll, tbh it seems he won't be back next year otherwise he'd already be in a car testing atm so he'll be back at 2013 for a proper drive probably and he available seats will be Red Bull/ Ferrari. Both good.

Tbh i hope he returns but not sure if it will ever happen.

I will try and find all the Tweets, but mainly Rory Bryne has alot more to do with this car than what ferrari are letting on.
    Not bad, He 's almost as successful as Newey iirc.

Also, with blown diffusers banned for next year that may be a lot of red bulls advantage gone and with everyone copying every other part of red bulls desins the cars could be closer matched next year.

3 way fight Ham V Vet V alo next year i reckon if Ham can keep it on the track.

??
    That's what i'm thinking. I'd think a young driver would be more likely in that spot alongisde the experience of Alonso. Somoene like Perez as he's in the ferari young drivers scheme thing.

(Original post by jelly1000)
    Ferrari would be more likely to have someone like Perez than Kubica (yes I did see the article and I believe it, but I doubt they would go through with it.)
    This i agree with. Having an experienced double world champion and an potential up and coming sar in the same team. It's a classic tactic.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    WEll, tbh it seems he won't be back next year otherwise he'd already be in a car testing atm so he'll be back at 2013 for a proper drive probably and he available seats will be Red Bull/ Ferrari. Both good.

Tbh i hope he returns but not sure if it will ever happen.

Not bad, He 's almost as successful as Newey iirc.

Also, with blown diffusers banned for next year that may be a lot of red bulls advantage gone and with everyone copying every other part of red bulls desins the cars could be closer matched next year.

3 way fight Ham V Vet V alo next year i reckon if Ham can keep it on the track.

That's what i'm thinking. I'd think a young driver would be more likely in that spot alongisde the experience of Alonso. Somoene like Perez as he's in the ferari young drivers scheme thing.

This i agree with. Having an experienced double world champion and an potential up and coming sar in the same team. It's a classic tactic.
    Think I agree with all of this. But add Button to make it a 4 way battle. I think Ferrari could be more competitive given there will be no off throttle blowing at all, they opposed an appeal for partial blowing and were dominant at Silverstone where off throttle blowing was banned.
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Think I agree with all of this. But add Button to make it a 4 way battle. I think Ferrari could be more competitive given there will be no off throttle blowing at all, they opposed an appeal for partial blowing and were dominant at Silverstone where off throttle blowing was banned.
    That's very true about Button. He's been a very consisent driver this year at
    Mclaren.

I do think overall he is slightly slower than Hamilton over a flying lap and less agressive in the race. It means he sometimes loses out but his consistency means he has beaten Lewis in the drivers ranking this year...

Yea i think Ferrari will be right up there but as there's not much other major rule changes other than things being outlawed i think the top 3 will be a lot closer.

Also, Merc will be closer than they were this year but still not winning races a lot, maybe once if they're lucky...

And i think Caterham:cool: will be competing with Sauber/ Toro Rosso/ Williams for the odd point next year...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's very true about Button. He's been a very consisent driver this year at
    Mclaren.

I do think overall he is slightly slower than Hamilton over a flying lap and less agressive in the race. It means he sometimes loses out but his consistency means he has beaten Lewis in the drivers ranking this year...

Yea i think Ferrari will be right up there but as there's not much other major rule changes other than things being outlawed i think the top 3 will be a lot closer.

Also, Merc will be closer than they were this year but still not winning races a lot, maybe once if they're lucky...

And i think Caterham:cool: will be competing with Sauber/ Toro Rosso/ Williams for the odd point next year...
    I think if the car was designed for Button's style he would be faster than Hamilton, at the moment it's not really perfect for either, but Button is more mature and sensible, not got into accidents or distracted and so his consistency has helped him thrash Hamilton.

Will Merc get their front wing F-Dcut working? Will other copy it?

I hope Caterham will be competitive, it's weird to think that there is a Caterham team now! Not a manufacturer you would associate with F1 really.

I think HRT will catch up to Caterham too and leave Virgin behind a bit, they are beating them this year despite being known as the worst team in F1...
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    In regards to the Kubica/Ferrari rumors it should be noted that when Massa had his crash Kubica was i believe offered it but rejected the offer.

2013 is certainly shaping up well in terms of drivers with Massa and Webber getting the boot and Kubica, Reikkonnen and the young guns all vying for thew seat.

My personal opinion is that if Reikkonnen does go to Williams next year on a 1 year contract then he is guaranteed the race seat with Ferrari/Mclaren/Red Bull. Ferrari valued him so much they carried on paying his salary for 2 years, Mclaren and him left on good terms and Vettel is his best mate.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    In regards to the Kubica/Ferrari rumors it should be noted that when Massa had his crash Kubica was i believe offered it but rejected the offer.

2013 is certainly shaping up well in terms of drivers with Massa and Webber getting the boot and Kubica, Reikkonnen and the young guns all vying for thew seat.

My personal opinion is that if Reikkonnen does go to Williams next year on a 1 year contract then he is guaranteed the race seat with Ferrari/Mclaren/Red Bull. Ferrari valued him so much they carried on paying his salary for 2 years, Mclaren and him left on good terms and Vettel is his best mate.
    Actually I think you'll find Ferrari actually paid Raikkonen for a year after because he was still on contract and neither wanted each other any more. No way he'd go back there.

Him and McClaren never really got on that well- they disapproved of his partying ways and he certainly wouldn't like the PR arrangements now.

Red Bull, well maybe if Raikkonen impresses at Williams, they might look.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 22, 2011
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered motorsport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.