The Student Room Group

What are these A Levels Like for you?

Hi, I just attended an info evening for my sixth form and have narrowed my choices down to 6 - (I can do 4):

I want to do medicine and here are my choices + reasons:

Human Biology (OCR) - More human related, less on plants but is it "a softer choice"? Like the topics though.

Biology (AQA) - Better known A Level, good grades, range of topics, good for medicine, interest in it.

Chemistry (OCR) - Needed for medicine, maths based - (I like maths), application needed, makes sense - i.e. Everything has a reason

Maths - I am good at maths but perhaps find some areas harder than others? Yet the grades are slipping a bit at our school?

German (OCR) - Love German. Am doing well at it in GCSE and am enjoying it but it seems very difficult at A2 so was thinking AS only.

Geography - Not really sure. I am quite good at it and sometimes like it but sometimes don't.. So?

My 4 Choices would probably be:

(Biology/Human Biology), (Chemistry), (Maths), (German - AS)

So a couple of questions :smile:

1) Do you do any of these A Levels - How are they for you?
2) Are these "good choices" for medicine?
3) What about the biology? Which is more enjoyable/relevant for medicine..

Thanks guys and sorry about the long post its just its an important decision :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Great for medicine. I THINK (not 100% sure) med schools want to see Biology, not Human biology. Which is kinda weird, but i guess human biology is a softer subject. I'd double check it though, i may be telling porkies.

Maths and chemistry are great subjects too, and German to show ur not just a science lad.
Geography wouldn't be a bad choice, but i'd probs pick german over it, especially if you like it more.

to sum up, good choices (Y)
Reply 2
If you have your heart set on medicine and want to get the best grades possible, pin down Chemistry and German right now. You're likely to do better, especially in German which you seem to love. And it would be advantageous for you to a university like UCL, and would pose no disadvantages in any other university.

As for Biology/Human Biology, I'd choose Biology. It's a stronger A level all in all. But if you dislike 'plants' that much, then it's probably not wise to choose it... Check what unis think of it though, I'm not entirely sure.

As for Maths, A level is completely different to GCSE. As long as you like it and are getting around A* in maths, you should be fine.
Do straight Biology with Chem, Maths and German, dropping the last after AS. Those are ideal subjects for Medicine

Most Medicine applicants will have done Biology rather than Human Biology and it is regarded as the more traditional and academically rigorous A level.

With your 4th A level you can study whatever you find interesting and will do well in, German would be good to show that you skills and interests are wide ranging.
Reply 4
Original post by Historophilia
Do straight Biology with Chem, Maths and German, dropping the last after AS. Those are ideal subjects for Medicine

Most Medicine applicants will have done Biology rather than Human Biology and it is regarded as the more traditional and academically rigorous A level.

With your 4th A level you can study whatever you find interesting and will do well in, German would be good to show that you skills and interests are wide ranging.

All these posts are good and helpful. I was thinking of straight biology over human biology because of it being more traditional and tbf I dont really hate plants THAT much.. I can cope. Is German a "strong" A Level for Uni's then?

And with my maths, I am doing FSMQ (I think its called that) - So my maths is quite good.. Not too good with shape and stuff. Much better with algebra and I quite like Calculus :P
Reply 5
Hi :smile:
I'm a year 12 and out of your choices I do Biology(AQA), Chemistry(OCR) and Maths(AQA).
Biology I'm really loving, and although you say you're drawn to human biology because its less planty and stuff, the majority of my modules for AS aren't that planty but I think it gets more planty into A2 as theres modules on Ecology and suchlike fun! If you're sure you definitely want to do medicine then why not check some university websites or contact some admissions tutors to see if Human Biology would alter your chances, Medical schools are properly competitive and you'd really want to be sure you're not messing your chances up. Also like medicine is quite a broad subject so some of the planty stuff you might do in normal biology and bacteria and stuff may still be relevant...

Chemistry is rather hard conceptually but as soon as you get your head in the chemical zone i'm sure you'll be well away.

Maths is really fun. That's about it.

Good luck! Hope this helps!
Reply 6
I can only speak for Maths, as it's the only subject I take from your list. Core 1 and 2 were relatively straightforward, as long as you keep practicing form the get-go and stay on top of your work. Core 3 is really hard, in my opinion, and I've never found Maths as much of a struggle as I do at the moment. But I'm confident that the revision will get done and the grades will be fine. If you're confident in your Maths, take it, because it's really rewarding (and highly regarded for Medicine, I hear). A lot of new concepts, a lot more application and less regurgitation of information, more of a struggle with time during exams, but straightforward enough if you're good at Maths and willing to work hard.

EDIT: Just read your FMSQ comment though, so I don't know how useful this would be as I have no idea what the FMSQ is!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by elisabethr
Hi :smile:
I'm a year 12 and out of your choices I do Biology(AQA), Chemistry(OCR) and Maths(AQA).
Biology I'm really loving, and although you say you're drawn to human biology because its less planty and stuff, the majority of my modules for AS aren't that planty but I think it gets more planty into A2 as theres modules on Ecology and suchlike fun! If you're sure you definitely want to do medicine then why not check some university websites or contact some admissions tutors to see if Human Biology would alter your chances, Medical schools are properly competitive and you'd really want to be sure you're not messing your chances up. Also like medicine is quite a broad subject so some of the planty stuff you might do in normal biology and bacteria and stuff may still be relevant...

Chemistry is rather hard conceptually but as soon as you get your head in the chemical zone i'm sure you'll be well away.

Maths is really fun. That's about it.

Good luck! Hope this helps!

I see your point with the plants and it relating. I also guess its a mix between human and plant plus some medicines come from plants etc. Would checking the grades from school be an idea?

PS - It did help :tongue: thanks
Reply 8
Original post by malvika111

EDIT: Just read your FMSQ comment though, so I don't know how useful this would be as I have no idea what the FMSQ is!

Basically Core 1 and some of Core 2 I think.. Also M2 and F2 content from what I am told.. Its additional maths basically..

Intermediate between GCSE and AS :tongue:
Original post by steviep14
All these posts are good and helpful. I was thinking of straight biology over human biology because of it being more traditional and tbf I dont really hate plants THAT much.. I can cope. Is German a "strong" A Level for Uni's then?

And with my maths, I am doing FSMQ (I think its called that) - So my maths is quite good.. Not too good with shape and stuff. Much better with algebra and I quite like Calculus :P

A level languages are highly respected and German is less widely taken so you'd stand out as an interesting and well rounded candidate. So yes a very 'strong' choice for Uni's.

I didn't do A level maths so I can't really say much about what it entails or how hard you'd find it. If you're concerned, speak to your teachers about it and get their opinions on how you'd cope with it at A level. However I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by steviep14
Basically Core 1 and some of Core 2 I think.. Also M2 and F2 content from what I am told.. Its additional maths basically..

Intermediate between GCSE and AS :tongue:

The Additional Maths Free Standing Mathematical Qualification (to give it its full name :cool:) is - sort of - most of C1 and C2, a fair bit of Stats1 and a bit of Mech 1. When idid my A level, having done the FSMQ, our class had finished C1 and 2 and had gone on to C3 by the first half term. Schools vary, though. If you're doing that, you'll probably be fine with A level Maths.

Those are quite good, varied options. Chemistry is a bit tricky in places, but once you get your brain in gear, it's mostly OK. It's a very important science at A level. I'd pick Biology over Human Biology. My school didn't even offer Human biology, so i may be prejudiced, though. The German is a good choice. Variation is always quite a good thing to show, especially as it opens up opportunities later on.
Hey there. Im in year 12 and am doing Maths, Biology, Chemistry AS like you. In my opinion:

I find Biology the hardest (just a personal opinion), because there is SO much content to learn, your brain just overheats and threatens to burst. Again, you have to keep revising, straight from the get-go at the beginning of the year

Chemistry- second hardest (personal opinion again), the first module is pretty straight forward with mole calculations and is good if you are a logical thinker.

Maths- I love maths. if you read up on the techniques and methods used everyday, you should be fine

Hope this helped.
Well biology and human biology are on the same par, universities don't really sow preference, although Biology is more conventional.

Chemistry is a must, if you don't, you are a right, royal idiot. :wink:

I would go for maths, a third science/maths subject keeps all medical schools open.

Then I would go for either one of Geography and German as an AS. Only go for the language if you are confident. :smile:
Reply 13
Why confident? :L

Quick Reply

Latest