The Student Room Group

Has anyone tested out how masturbation/sex affects their workouts?

i know there are no studies that have been done to ascertain the effect of masturbation or sex on working out. all the questions i see asked on the internet have replies that are either a) 'masturbation/sex affecting your workouts is a myth' or b) 'continue masturbating/having sex as much as you want because it doesnt affect your workouts'.

i was interested to know if anyone has tested it out for themselves. i dont believe that there is no effect on your workouts. i do weight training 4 or 5 times a week and when i have masturbated the previous evening, the next day i cant lift as much. i have to either go down a few kg's or do less reps. its not a huge difference but its noticeable.

i masturbated 2 evenings in a row and today during my workout, i felt pretty weak. i had to drop my dumbbell row down by 2.5kg and even then i was struggling a lot with it. i had to drop my lat pulldown my 10kg and overall i was unable to train with the intensity i would normally do. contrast this with not masturbating for several days- i notice that i can lift more, dont feel weaker, dont get tired as easily and can train with a higher intensity.
Reply 1
i would like to add that i havent tested out any theory for sex but i imagine it to have the same effect. also its the ejaculation that is crucial to making me weaker, not the masturbation itself.
Erm I guess its because your like mental due to lack of masturbation and then become normal.

The pent up stress and anger fuels you I guess.

I generally work out emotionless and try to stay placid so that I can operate at peak performance without circumstances affecting me.
Yup, I would say it works. We had a football school tournament and my team mates were like" I didn't masturbate yesterday guys!!". So I tried and indeed you don't feel ready to jump on the ball. Also the players from the french football team weren't allowed to sleep with their wives during the world cup. Bad example? I can't see why, really..
Reply 4
too much infomation mate.
Reply 5
Original post by FranticMind
Erm I guess its because your like mental due to lack of masturbation and then become normal.

The pent up stress and anger fuels you I guess.

I generally work out emotionless and try to stay placid so that I can operate at peak performance without circumstances affecting me.

i try not to let circumstances affect me but masturbation has always made me weaker the next day in the gym.

Original post by pinouche13
Yup, I would say it works. We had a football school tournament and my team mates were like" I didn't masturbate yesterday guys!!". So I tried and indeed you don't feel ready to jump on the ball. Also the players from the french football team weren't allowed to sleep with their wives during the world cup. Bad example? I can't see why, really..

thanks for your reply!:tongue: i can see that you had the same findings as me. i remember when i was at school that some guys who were in the athletics team said they dont masturbate the day before a big race because it worsens your performance. i know it isnt weights but its high intensity running.

Original post by Fantaisie
too much infomation mate.

why is it too much information?
Reply 6
Original post by pinouche13

must be stressful for them :eek:
Original post by kka25
must be stressful for them :eek:

Yeah... Could explain why they didn't go through the group, they wanted to end it the sooner. Or maybe we are simply quite bad and got owned by south africa because we suck so much.
Reply 8
bump
Reply 9
I have no sex drive this week despite working out normally and not jerking it.....normally i'd get pretty horny in the evenings, must be some other factor.
ahahhaha look at all you idiots masturbating,
Dont any of you realize if you masturbate its basically like losing all your testosterone. Say good bye to your gains

If you do masturbate, sperm is so protein rich that its in your interest just to eat it all up.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think it's primarily a case of people thinking that not ejaculating is gonna make them feel different, so they do.

Like how you can give most people non alcoholic beer, tell them it's alcoholic, and they'll think they are drunk, and act in whatever way their culture deems drunk people to act.

I wish ye olde placebo effect worked on me tbh.
Reply 12
Original post by Movember
i know there are no studies that have been done to ascertain the effect of masturbation or sex on working out. all the questions i see asked on the internet have replies that are either a) 'masturbation/sex affecting your workouts is a myth' or b) 'continue masturbating/having sex as much as you want because it doesnt affect your workouts'.

i was interested to know if anyone has tested it out for themselves. i dont believe that there is no effect on your workouts. i do weight training 4 or 5 times a week and when i have masturbated the previous evening, the next day i cant lift as much. i have to either go down a few kg's or do less reps. its not a huge difference but its noticeable.

i masturbated 2 evenings in a row and today during my workout, i felt pretty weak. i had to drop my dumbbell row down by 2.5kg and even then i was struggling a lot with it. i had to drop my lat pulldown my 10kg and overall i was unable to train with the intensity i would normally do. contrast this with not masturbating for several days- i notice that i can lift more, dont feel weaker, dont get tired as easily and can train with a higher intensity.

I have tested this out and indeed from personal experience masturbation effects your workout, but it significantly effects the muscle growth gains even more due to its effects on your testosterone.
If you have previously been masturbating more than 4 times a week then you suddenly stop, over the next few days you become intensely horny and your testosterone peaks on day 7. How ever if you prolong masturbation longer than this, diminishing returns and your testosterone starts to fall again. Because of this it is optimal to only masturbate once a week.
If you do this you will notice you will have better work outs because you will have more energy and more anger to unleash at the gym and you will complete your sets to the best of your ability. You will also get really good muscle gains and you should notice your shoulders to get good gains as well (Big shoulders are a sign of high testosterone).
People on BodyBuilding forums say all the above is bull****, but they clearly just have naturally higher testosterone anyway and haven't felt the need to try this experiment out. When you ejaculate you lose ALOT of Zinc, which controls your testosterone levels, this is why you may feel like a different person after you have jacked off lol. Also take a Multivitamin every day and straight after you jacked to help replenish the lost Zinc.
Sorry if you dont understand all that ^^
I know boxers aren't allowed to ejaculate months before a big fight.

I reckon if I didn't ejaculate for three months I'd make cheese out of David Haye, broken toe or not.

Quick Reply

Latest