Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Romeo and Juliet Essay conclusion help please

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have nearly finished an essay on the theme of conflict in Romeo and Juliet and two other poems. I've just got the conclusion left to do and am not sure what to include.. my conclusions are usually weak and bring my grade down so what should I include in my conclusion?

Thanks
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing new. A conclusion should merely be a drawing together of your ideas.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hm my essay is 13 pages long and so I'm not sure what to say to conclude all of it. :/
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauraa96)
    Hm my essay is 13 pages long and so I'm not sure what to say to conclude all of it. :/
    Is this for GCSE? Sounds a bit over long. Go through it with a pencil and write a key word in the margin at the side of each paragraph summing up what the point of that paragraph is. Then look at the progression of your argument through these key words and use that to fill your conclusion. I'm willing to bet you've repeated yourself a few times, so you can use this as a guide to show you what to take out, as well. If you can't easily sum up what the point of the paragraph is, it's a sign that it needs rewriting.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    13 pages :lolwut:
    That's, like, 6000+ words, no?
    Don't start it with 'in conclusion' or any similar phrases, but a make it a concise summation of everything you've said and how it backs up the question in hand.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's for GCSE but it's controlled assessment and not coursework ://
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's for GCSE but it's controlled assessment and not coursework ://
    If it's AQA, the controlled assessment doesn't need to be 13 pages, and it's not advisable either. I'm an English teacher. We had a guy from the board in for a training day last week and he said quite clearly that you can harm your essay by writing too much, because it loses focus and starts rambling. Better to spend the time writing a concise, focused and carefully planned essay. Do what I suggested above and cut out the waffle, then wrap it up with no new material.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.. It's already written..
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.. It's already written..
    Well, not all of it if you're still doing the conclusion. If you have the time, go back and cross out the unnecessary bits. If not, well, it might be fine. No one on here can tell without seeing. Just don't add to it with a long conclusion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Trim it down, definitely. As for the conclusion, take a good look at the question you were set and summarise the rest of your essay to produce one clear statement in answer to the question.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 9, 2011
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.