The Student Room Group

i am currently signing up for IGCSE good or bad idea?...please help

I just signed up for Igsce in physics and history, the MAIN reason why i choose IGCSE is because it is EXAM based only. and i can revise in my own way, such as books, diagrams, spiderwebs, videos, tapes ect ect...

but are igcses good enough?
Reply 1
yes, same as GCSE/it will be accepted.

best way tbh, this "isa" nonsense is utter tosh.
I heard IGCSEs are harder, and they were created by cambridge university, and are only exam based....i've also heard IGCSEs help you get to IB quicker...is this true?...

i hope i do well in physics and history...
Original post by notthegreatest
I heard IGCSEs are harder, and they were created by cambridge university, and are only exam based....i've also heard IGCSEs help you get to IB quicker...is this true?...

i hope i do well in physics and history...

No they don't. I did IGCSE and now i do IB there's no correlation between them (for me that is)
Universities consider IGCSEs equivalent to UK GCSE (It is often seen as the international equivalent) but nonetheless there are some important differences. Igcse is more widely accepted compared to gcse because of it international standard. gcse may seem easier, but igcse prepares you better for a-levels or equivalent. I found igcse far more interesting than gcse/o-level.

I know in my maths class one boy was allowed in because although he had a grade lower than required (in our set) he had done an IGCSE which the teacher seemed to take into consideration. roughly speaking, it may mean that a B at IGCSE is better than an A grade in gcse, but again thats my personal opinion.

GCSE's are held in high regard and many private schools have their pupils sit these instead of GCSE's.
Most IGCSEs either don't have coursework, or have an additional paper alternative to coursework, but you should check the exam board's website for each subject.
I prefer CIE for the exam board btw. :smile:

I sat igcse this summer and i got these grades :biggrin:

CIE just changed my grade B in geography to A* (I sent in for re-mark) :smile: :rolleyes:

and I sat 5 GCE O-levels last year (which were way more tough than IGCSE's)

GOOD LUCK! :smile:
Original post by notthegreatest
I just signed up for Igsce in physics and history, the MAIN reason why i choose IGCSE is because it is EXAM based only. and i can revise in my own way, such as books, diagrams, spiderwebs, videos, tapes ect ect...

but are igcses good enough?

IGCSE physics yes. Remember edexcel do IGCSE too not just CIE, not that it really matters. For sciences yes IGCSEs help you get to iB (did 5 IGCSEs- Maths all 3 sciences and Geography) but for history coursework is a better idea. History coursework is the only reason people in my year got an A*
thanks!
I just wanted to know if you even got a statement of result specifying the exact percentage you received in each subject?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending