The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd say LSOP cos I go there!
Nah, seriously, it's a small uni but you know everyone there. You can ask the lecturers questions and they have time for you, and they actually care about you. You can ask any student in the upper years foradvice and they'll give it to you. It'sa nice community.
Reply 2
Xenon
I'd say LSOP cos I go there!
Nah, seriously, it's a small uni but you know everyone there. You can ask the lecturers questions and they have time for you, and they actually care about you. You can ask any student in the upper years foradvice and they'll give it to you. It'sa nice community.

I understand that it may be great for pharmacy but I can't imagine Kings being too far behind. Does LSOP have student societies and sporting/musical oppportunities?

On the other hand, I won't be living out whichever uni I choose so I doubt I'll get to know ppl on other courses even if I do pick Kings.

Harleen
Reply 3
HAR133N
I understand that it may be great for pharmacy but I can't imagine Kings being too far behind. Does LSOP have student societies and sporting/musical oppportunities?

On the other hand, I won't be living out whichever uni I choose so I doubt I'll get to know ppl on other courses even if I do pick Kings.

Harleen

LSOP is part of ULU which has many, many societies, where you get to meet people from different unis as well.
Reply 4
Great thread Harleen, I'm curious about this exact thing too!
Reply 5
i asked a friend who did pharmacy the same question too! i wa a little shocked at her reply considering she's asian...heres what shesaid "kings because lsop has too many asians" i just cudn'y believe how rude/racist some people can be.
personally i am at kings doing 1st year medical biochemistry this year(am switching to pharmacy in sept this year) and have found that you dont really get the opportunity to dicuss aspects of what you are learning woth older years and as teaching groups are often large, lectures often dont have the time to speak to you...however the atmosphere is pretty good and most sites are easy to get to...
am seriously considering lsop though and will hopefully to to the 22nd march open day

tc, littleone xx
littleone
i asked a friend who did pharmacy the same question too! i wa a little shocked at her reply considering she's asian...heres what shesaid "kings because lsop has too many asians" i just cudn'y believe how rude/racist some people can be.

I would say exactly the same thing about Kings. Probably because both are in London, and most people who study pharmacy in London are asian and live at home (under the thumb). There's some very sheltered/naive people in my year. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Kingspharm
I would say exactly the same thing about Kings. Probably because both are in London, and most people who study pharmacy in London are asian and live at home (under the thumb). There's some very sheltered/naive people in my year. :rolleyes:

Hey,

What do u see as the advantages/disadvantages of studying at Kings over LSOP, seeing as you've been there for a good few years? Do you regret not choosing LSOP (if you recieved an offer from them)?

Thanks,
Harleen
I did get an offer from ULSOP at the time, although I wouldn't have got in because they required B in maths and I got a C.

I don't regret it, although I've heard the work's easier over there (I'm sure Xenon will disagree) and Kings has been OK. My biggest regret is choosing Pharmacy in the first place - wish I'd gone for something else now - but that's all really.
Reply 9
My older sister goes to LSOP and she doesnt like it, as she finds it hard to make friends becasue of the whole racial thing, which is true.
I don't think you friend is being racist littleone, i think she is just making her comment and expressing her own opinion. Most asians don't like it when there are waaaaay too many Asians acound in uni and i wouldnt say that is racist towards her own race.

I guess you think thats racist becasue you can;t really apply this to yourself as you are not the enthnic minority in a white society, but people generally like to hang around with their own race ( this does not apply to everyone).
90% of the people in LSOP are indians and the rest of the 10% are orientals and white. My sister told me people genrally stick to their own race in uni and it si true!. The Indains stick together and the chiense have to stick with chinese. My sister being the only 5% of the lsop population have to stick to her own little group, hard to make friends from other enthnicity, hence she doesnt like the student life in that uni very much.

Not saying LSOP is a crap uni, its really good for their course, but just the student life, compare to Kings is probably not as great becaseu at Kings you get to hang with people who do other subject as well! Thats another point
Reply 10
From my experience, I totally agree with you that the majority of asians hang around with each other!

I am an Asian and at my college all the asians hang around with each other! I on the other hand do not, and the majority of my friends are white (except the 3 asian whities!hee hee).

I applied to LSOP and not Kings as i thought that Kings had more asians ( I do not wish to be rude but I like to intergrate!). But from your post I have realised that that is not the case and I was mistaken!
Reply 11
Damn there are some helpful comments being made in this thread...really good stuff! Keep it up ppl!
Reply 12
In all honesty, the ethnic make up of the universities doesn't really bother me...mainly because I'm Indian as well.

I'm more concerned about extra curricular activities, such as music and sports that I can get involved with. I get the impression that LSOP is in its own little world although this may be completely wrong! If this is the case, I doubt I'll want to spend 4 years there.

Is anyone able to shed some light on extra-curricular activities at Kings and LSOP?

Harleen
Reply 13
fiesty_fox
My older sister goes to LSOP and she doesnt like it, as she finds it hard to make friends becasue of the whole racial thing, which is true.

What year is your sister in? There are groups in LSOP who stick together, but there are also groups who are totally integrated. I mean, I am friends with chinese people, english people, other ethnicities...
The work is hard! and the work load is alot too! When I ask my friends at kings if they've done a topic, sometimes they'll say no, but I'm assuming we'll all reach the same level.
Xenon
What year is your sister in? There are groups in LSOP who stick together, but there are also groups who are totally integrated. I mean, I am friends with chinese people, english people, other ethnicities...
The work is hard! and the work load is alot too! When I ask my friends at kings if they've done a topic, sometimes they'll say no, but I'm assuming we'll all reach the same level.

She is in first year called jocelyn
why? do u know her?
Reply 15
fiesty_fox
She is in first year called jocelyn
why? do u know her?

I don't think so. Was just wondering, cos I;m in the 3rd year.
Reply 16
kingspharm... why do u regret doing pharmacy?
Because as a career, it's too much work for not enough money.

As for the course, I've spent 5 years studying (because I failed my first year - something which was a warning sign that I should have changed to something else) and I'm not at any more of an advantage than if I had just taken a bog standard 3 year course in something reputable.
Reply 18
Yeah Kingspharm I see where your coming from, but don't you come out with much more than you would have done if you had indeed gone for bog standard 3 year course; as your getting a straight masters degree which can give you a career straightaway after graduation, in any country in the world.

Also, I thought the pay for locumming is amazing literally
kuptaan
Yeah Kingspharm I see where your coming from, but don't you come out with much more than you would have done if you had indeed gone for bog standard 3 year course; as your getting a straight masters degree which can give you a career straightaway after graduation, in any country in the world.

Not really, if you want to practice then you have to do pre-reg which adds another year on. Then you can only really use your degree in the EU - anywhere outside that, you may need to add extra qualifications/training which will add more time.

For the degree on its own, you can do other things with it, but I think it's unnecessary work - especially since the course is so long and not the most thrilling thing in the world to study.

kuptaan
Also, I thought the pay for locumming is amazing literally

It's alright I suppose, and what I intend to do for a couple of years, but I hope I don't end up doing the same thing for the rest of my life. I can't thing of anything more inane.

Latest

Trending

Trending