The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

A fresher’s view on Hull, (University of) Week 1 – 6

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You said your parents can't help you out - but if their income isn't very high your student loan will most probably be quite high:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by Andy97a
You said your parents can't help you out - but if their income isn't very high your student loan will most probably be quite high:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not that my parents can't help out, it's that they won't. I get the minimum loan... So I really need to get a job especially in my second/third/fourth year, but if it's going to affect my grades I'd rather not... I don't really know what to do.
Hey guys! I've come across this amazing Facebook page which has links to all of our halls groups as well as loads of other information! I've found it so useful when it comes to meeting people etc its so good! - facebook.com/groups/471279529678193/?fref=ts
Original post by Midnight Star
Personally no, I haven't had a job and honestly I don't think that I could do one, at least without it effecting my degree. Although I'm the lucky position that my student loan more than covers everything I need. There are some people who do have jobs on my course though so it is possible but if you do I'd be very careful how many hours you have especially in your latter years as for some people I know I think it has impacted negatively on their grades. It's your choice though and you could probably manage it in the first year when you only need to pass but it is a work intensive course and your grades will suffer if you don't put the work in.

On another note, Hull is one of the cheapest places in the country to live. In first year, if you're in Lawns/Needler/Thwaite, you have meals provided and buss pass provided. Don't bother buying any books they recommend, the are all in the library. In total, really there's not actually much you need to buy, so as long as you're sensible with your money and don't spend it all on booze, you should be fine.

Unrelated but for quoting super long posts, spoiler tags are a good idea. [Spoiler*]insert quote here
with out the * comes out as

Spoiler

I know this might be a long shot as I'm not sure how often you come on here, but do you happen to know what the textbook is that physics first years are given?
Original post by thunderstxrms
I know this might be a long shot as I'm not sure how often you come on here, but do you happen to know what the textbook is that physics first years are given?

It's University Physics by Sears and Zemansky's. It's absolutely huge and it's to keep, ie it doesn't matter if you spill orange juice on it within half an hour of getting it (like I did).

I didn't actually use it very much, though I probably should have. It's quite detailed with practice questions and stuff that's still relevant in second and third year.
It's University Physics by Sears and Zemansky's. It's absolutely huge and it's to keep, ie it doesn't matter if you spill orange juice on it within half an hour of getting it (like I did).

I didn't actually use it very much, though I probably should have. It's quite detailed with practice questions and stuff that's still relevant in second and third year.

Ah thank you! A friend in the year above at another university asked if I wanted to buy her textbooks, but didn't want to risk buying one I'd be given.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by thunderstxrms
Ah thank you! A friend in the year above at another university asked if I wanted to buy her textbooks, but didn't want to risk buying one I'd be given.

Thank you :smile:

I will say that you don't absolutely need to buy textbooks, the vast majority of people I know haven't. The library is really good and most of the books they recommend are in the library. That said, if you want to buy textbooks, you can, they might really help you but I just wanted to let you know you don't need to spend loads on books. It can also be hard finding books that match the course well, quite often they go into too much detail in some areas and not enough in others.
Personally no, I haven't had a job and honestly I don't think that I could do one, at least without it affecting my degree. Although I'm the lucky position that my student loan more than covers everything I need. There are some people who do have jobs on my course though so it is possible but if you do I'd be very careful how many hours you have especially in your latter years as for some people I know I think it has impacted negatively on their grades. It's your choice though and you could probably manage it in the first year when you only need to pass but it is a work intensive course and your grades will suffer if you don't put the work in.

On another note, Hull is one of the cheapest places in the country to live. In first year, if you're in Lawns/Needler/Thwaite, you have meals provided and buss pass provided. Don't bother buying any books they recommend, the are all in the library. In total, really there's not actually much you need to buy, so as long as you're sensible with your money and don't spend it all on booze, you should be fine.

Unrelated but for quoting super long posts, spoiler tags are a good idea. [Spoiler*]insert quote here
with out the * comes out as

Spoiler

Hi,

I have been offered places through clearing for mechanical engineering with foundation year.

My problem is that I live in Birmingham and I am working a flexible zero hour contract job, which I could continue if I go to De Montfort as it is very close to Birmingham.

With Hull however I would have to leave my job and go to a very far city just because Hull seems more of a quality uni than De Montfort?

Is it really worth it leaving my job for Hull, or is it really worth it going to De Montfort and work 1/2 days a week while studying?
Original post by tinyflame
Hi,

I have been offered places through clearing for mechanical engineering with foundation year.

My problem is that I live in Birmingham and I am working a flexible zero hour contract job, which I could continue if I go to De Montfort as it is very close to Birmingham.

With Hull however I would have to leave my job and go to a very far city just because Hull seems more of a quality uni than De Montfort?

Is it really worth it leaving my job for Hull, or is it really worth it going to De Montfort and work 1/2 days a week while studying?

Yo dude I am doing the exact same thing except without the complication of having the zero hour job, i'm going to an open day on february 24th to finalise my decision. In all honesty I am really hoping that Hulls engineering facilites are better than De Montforts haha
I know this is an old post but if you are still active on here any information you could give me on what you ended up doing would be great, cheers bro 👌

Quick Reply

Latest