The Student Room Group

what Mechanical engineering uni?

Leicester vs Liverpool vs Manchester vs Loughborough vs Huddersfield ?

Pro's and con's of these uni's would be appreciated :smile:

and also something to note, on every league table leicester and lobro are higher than manchester and liverpool any thoughts on this?
Manchester and Loughborough are excellent, I know this from my limited knowledge of English universities. Leicester and Liverpool might be hidden gems, though. In fact I'm also sure that Liverpool is really good.

I wouldn't pay any attention to league tables, except maybe the Guardian's subject specific tables in order to get a very rough indication of which universities offer a good undergraduate experience.
Reply 2
Get some open days in. I know little about Leicester or Huddersfield but went to open days at Manchester, Liverpool and Loughborough as well as Leed and Warwick for 2005 entry before going to Loughborough.

My main reason for choosing Loughborough was the great amount if time spent promoting the application of practial learning, ie, workshop and lab time as well as links with industry. I dont ofcause know how other courses would compair but certainly this played out in my experience of the course. During the five years i was there (graduated 2010 having done a MEng with 'DIS' placement year) the university climbed a number of places in the league table which i think fairly represents the acheivments made, but has also sadly raised the entry requirments, which would be an issue for some, including if i was applying now, myself. I also like the balance of being both a campus university, and being close to the center of the town center. Manchester was in the process of merging and although I belive this was done extreamely well, and if cause now all the past, put bme off at the aplication process at the time.

Daniel
Reply 3
I certianly agree also that league tables can only be used very loosely indeed, and that there suitablility to and reputation within your persepctive industry, combined with your own experince at opendays of both the deparment and university as a whole, should play a large part in the selection process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending