The Student Room Group

Decision Maths?!

Ive recently asked my school to enter me for further maths exams in june, they have agreed, and ive begun studying FP1, however my official entry hasn't been made yet because ive yet to decide which other modules to take. im already doing S1 for AS maths and i'll be doing M1 next year, i don't want to do S2 because that involves coursework. so basically im leaning towards Decision 1 and Decision 2, anyone have experience of these two modules? what are they like and are they hard?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Choose D2 over D1.

Basically in D1 they show you how to use a map (efficently). :rolleyes:
Reply 2
is Decision Maths hard? Easy? is it easily learnable (D1 and D2) in three/four months?
Reply 3
It is simply boring. I learnt all of D1 in 2 days.

Oh Heres a good thread for D1: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t196266.html

Here's what some people in there think about D1:

'this module is complete and utter **&^^%^& !!!!!!!'
'i despise D1.'

You decide.
Reply 4
well because ive only got like 4 months im looking for something easy to do, so it looks like decision is the way to go.
Reply 5
Even the best of maths students come out with a C at the end.

Basically I got A's in all my maths modules, and an E in D1, so I retook and got a C.

I think last year nobody got an A in D1.

Anyway yeah D1 is easy but questions are wordy hence can get hard.
Reply 6
WTF you were just telling me it was easy and you only got a C?
Reply 7
The exam questions were hard, the module was easy to learn.
Reply 8
D1 is really really easy.
It's also really really boring.
Do further maths because you enjoy maths - e.g. FP2, M3, S4, not because you want to stack up good grades in more A-levels (where modules are as give-away as D1).
Reply 9
seeeen. Could take M2 without taking M1 first?
Reply 10
Even the best of maths students come out with a C at the end.

Simply not true.

--------------

Scienceboi
seeeen. Could take M2 without taking M1 first?

If I were you I wouldn't.

I struggle with mechanics as it is, and as M2 depends upon you know basic knowledge from M1, no that isn't a good idea.
Reply 11
it's not that im copping out of studying real maths, i'd rather study mechanics 1 but im doing that in my normal maths classes next year so my school won't enter me for it.
Reply 12
Scienceboi
it's not that im copping out of studying real maths, i'd rather study mechanics 1 but im doing that in my normal maths classes next year so my school won't enter me for it.

I recommend S2.
Reply 13
hmmmmm, what if i studied M1 and M2 but only took the M2 exam, ive already done some mechanics in physics anyways?
Reply 14
Scienceboi

Well then decision maths is probably the best choice. As long as you look at some practice papers it's really straightforward. I've only done D1, but judging from the required mark for an A on D2, it seems to be significantly more challenging.
Reply 15
Handy
Simply not true.

It depends prior to which modules you've done before doing D1.

E.g If I would have done D1 as my very first module after my GCSE, I would have got a B atleast, but after learning calculus and then learning the *basics* of decision maths - it really did seem boring, so uninteresting. So I just didn't care much about it.
Reply 16
Dekota
It depends prior to which modules you've done before doing D1.

E.g If I would have done D1 as my very first module after my GCSE, I would have got a B atleast, but after learning calculus and then learning the *basics* of decision maths - it really did seem boring, so uninteresting. So I just didn't care much about it.

I dispute the fact that the exam questions were 'hard'.

If you can cope with calculus, then you shouldn't need to be interested to easily cope with the exam.

For example, linear programming is practically a GCSE concept.
Reply 17
Handy
I dispute the fact that the exam questions were 'hard'.

If you can cope with calculus, then you shouldn't need to be interested to easily cope with the exam.

For example, linear programming is practically a GCSE concept.

Oh right linear programming was fine. It was one of the last questions on my paper and although I didn't finish it I was okay with that.

But, I hated the critical path analysis and other such algorithms.
I mean the first few questions I can remember were vaguely about writing instructions to get through a maze. And explaining why etc. Now that to me isn't proper maths.
Reply 18
Dekota
I mean the first few questions I can remember were vaguely about writing instructions to get through a maze. And explaining why etc. Now that to me isn't proper maths.

Agreed, but nor is it difficult.
what exam board are you with? if you're using OCR MEI i'd recommend D1, but like someone said S1 is okay aswell. I'm not done D2 so cant comment, but D1 can be 'fun' especially djistras algorithim, but it takes the biscuit because the questions are wordly wierdly.

Latest

Trending

Trending