The Student Room Group

"sleeping where you eat" is it a bad idea to get with my flatmate?

hi so basically me and one of my flatmates have kind of been seeing each other/sleeping together/ hanging out on our own/ flirting/ whatever you want to call it for the last couple of weeks.
we haven't told the rest of our flatmates because it might be a bit awkward, if anyone watches friends just think monica and chandler.

anyway, if we became a couple could it be a reaally bad idea from a potential break-up awkwardness situation?
should we tell our flatmates/make it obvious?
Reply 1
Is this a guy on guy thing? Im sorry I cannot determine your gender from your post.
Never eat and poo at the same place :smile:
it will be very awkward if you break up because you will end up dragging your other flat mates into it and trying to make them choose, butttttttttt if you can think it will work go for it
Reply 4
Original post by .eXe
Is this a guy on guy thing? Im sorry I cannot determine your gender from your post.

lol, no.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
hi so basically me and one of my flatmates have kind of been seeing each other/sleeping together/ hanging out on our own/ flirting/ whatever you want to call it for the last couple of weeks.

Maybe it's just me but I didn't think "sleeping together" and "flirting" were synonyms..
Im a perfect case example :biggrin:

Last year, a guy moved into my houseshare. Charming, attentive, funny, intelligent, FIT, lol. How could i not fall in love with the guy?! So after about 3 weeks of spending alot of time with him (basically staying up till all hours, most nights, chatting EVERYTHING and anything), we finally declared our feelings for one another on a night out with the other housemates :smile: It was all very romantic and breathtaking. So yes, we fell in love, and slept together after about 6 weeks, and keeping it from our housemates was quite hard, but exciting, lol. We told them in the end - the girl was sound about it, and the lad said he wasn't sure. Living together from scratch was ideal in many ways - he was always around, we took turns in sleeping in eachother's room, made eachother's dinner, lol.

The problem is privacy - neither of you can really have it at home if you are bringing your mates around, the other person will always know what the other is upto inside their own home. Plus, arguments can crop up to do with washing, how many times the other has cooked dinner, etc. priorities to do with studying (hard to set a fixed time for studying if you're spending alot of time with eachother in the house). Plus if you argue, can cause tension in the house/makes other housemates feel uncomfortable.

Me and my boyfriend are still together 12 months later, lol. When he moved in, he stayed in the house for 6 months and then moved back in with his family (financial purposes), and now is in a houseshare of his own, lol. In a way, i miss him being here (im still in the same house), but in another way, ive got my privacy back.

Complications can arise in the event that you argue or split up, but they are the risks you take when you fall in love/get together with someone who you live with in a houseshare. Me and my boyfriend did have discussions about 'what would happen if', and it was kind of agreed that he'd move out (only because i'd been in the houseshare the longest). If i split up with my boyfriend, id NEVER do the same thing again though - i.e., get with a housemate, because i think it presents more stress than anything else. And you know, my home is my own personal space, where i am self sufficient and have things in order. Living with my boyfriend just upset that order, in that i got into a habit of washing his clothes, washing up the dishes after him, etc. lol.

Let us know how you get on im really intrigued!!!!
I think you should tell your housemates, but only at a point where you two are serious. That's the point we told our housemates, when we were officially boyfriend and girlfriend. To be honest, if you dont tell them, they'll only figure it out anyway from all the noise coming from your respective bedrooms, LMAO :tongue:
Reply 8
Im a perfect case example :biggrin:

Last year, a guy moved into my houseshare. Charming, attentive, funny, intelligent, FIT, lol. How could i not fall in love with the guy?! So after about 3 weeks of spending alot of time with him (basically staying up till all hours, most nights, chatting EVERYTHING and anything), we finally declared our feelings for one another on a night out with the other housemates :smile: It was all very romantic and breathtaking. So yes, we fell in love, and slept together after about 6 weeks, and keeping it from our housemates was quite hard, but exciting, lol. We told them in the end - the girl was sound about it, and the lad said he wasn't sure. Living together from scratch was ideal in many ways - he was always around, we took turns in sleeping in eachother's room, made eachother's dinner, lol.

The problem is privacy - neither of you can really have it at home if you are bringing your mates around, the other person will always know what the other is upto inside their own home. Plus, arguments can crop up to do with washing, how many times the other has cooked dinner, etc. priorities to do with studying (hard to set a fixed time for studying if you're spending alot of time with eachother in the house). Plus if you argue, can cause tension in the house/makes other housemates feel uncomfortable.

Me and my boyfriend are still together 12 months later, lol. When he moved in, he stayed in the house for 6 months and then moved back in with his family (financial purposes), and now is in a houseshare of his own, lol. In a way, i miss him being here (im still in the same house), but in another way, ive got my privacy back.

Complications can arise in the event that you argue or split up, but they are the risks you take when you fall in love/get together with someone who you live with in a houseshare. Me and my boyfriend did have discussions about 'what would happen if', and it was kind of agreed that he'd move out (only because i'd been in the houseshare the longest). If i split up with my boyfriend, id NEVER do the same thing again though - i.e., get with a housemate, because i think it presents more stress than anything else. And you know, my home is my own personal space, where i am self sufficient and have things in order. Living with my boyfriend just upset that order, in that i got into a habit of washing his clothes, washing up the dishes after him, etc. lol.

Let us know how you get on im really intrigued!!!!

thanks, this was really helpful, we're living in halls so we do sort of have our own space, own bedroom/own bathroom ect.
how did you deal with spending actual time together rather than just hanging out cause you're in the same space?
thanks, this was really helpful, we're living in halls so we do sort of have our own space, own bedroom/own bathroom ect.
how did you deal with spending actual time together rather than just hanging out cause you're in the same space?

It was natural for us to spend so much time together because we were living together. I am a student, thus have alot of time, and he was unemployed, so we were pretty much always at home together. Obviously there were times were i just wanted my own space, so its not easy asking someone you're mad about 'can i have tonight on my own...'. Then there's the situation if either one of you has a night out, and because you live together, you find it difficult to sleep until you know they are home/what time they are home. I suspect it's not as easy to leave halls of residence as it is a houseshare though?... How do you arrange your own personal time? I.e. - are you both ok with saying 'im out saturday/friday night with my friends'?
lol this is one of those things if u dont know then we cant help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending