The Student Room Group

York or Lancaster University?

Hey guys, I'm not sure which uni to put as my firm - York or Lancaster. I've applied for English and History (QV31).

I visited Lancaster on an open day and loved it. I haven't visited York but I've heard it's lovely, so if anyone can tell me about it, that'd be nice.

Both want AAA. Lancaster originally said they wanted AAB, whereas York said that they wanted AAA from the beginning, so I don't know if that means Lancs would be more lenient if I were to get AAB (I'm predicted AAA, but I'm not confident in getting, and I despise people who assume their predicted grades are a given). Also, from TSR, York seems to be a lot of Oxbridge applicant's insurances, so I don't know if my ABBC at AS and by AAAAAABBBB at GCSE will mean that they want to accept me if I go a bit lower. York is probably more prestigious for employability and stuff.

I don't know which, what do you guys think? The most important thing is probably leniency for if I got AAB, and I don't know if York would be willing to give it to me.
Whose side would you have been on in the War of the Roses?
Reply 2
Yep, I'm in the exact same situation trying to choose between York and Lancaster, I'm applying for English and Philosophy with AAA (but i'm fairly certain i'm not going to achieve it). I think i'm going to end up going for Lancaster, purely because I just looked on the York applicant thread on here, and it seems that the 'quality' of student applying are more long-term academics, whereas I only bucked my game up after GCSEs, despite still achieving alright grades, I don't think i'll cut the mustard at York. I don't know... it just depends on whether you're certain you're willing to risk it. York wouldn't be my first choice out of the other universities i'm applying to, is it yours? If it isn't, then i'd go for Lancaster, seeing as you've already been around and liked it.
Reply 3
Original post by agoetcherian
Hey guys, I'm not sure which uni to put as my firm - York or Lancaster. I've applied for English and History (QV31).

I visited Lancaster on an open day and loved it. I haven't visited York but I've heard it's lovely, so if anyone can tell me about it, that'd be nice.

Both want AAA. Lancaster originally said they wanted AAB, whereas York said that they wanted AAA from the beginning, so I don't know if that means Lancs would be more lenient if I were to get AAB (I'm predicted AAA, but I'm not confident in getting, and I despise people who assume their predicted grades are a given). Also, from TSR, York seems to be a lot of Oxbridge applicant's insurances, so I don't know if my ABBC at AS and by AAAAAABBBB at GCSE will mean that they want to accept me if I go a bit lower. York is probably more prestigious for employability and stuff.

I don't know which, what do you guys think? The most important thing is probably leniency for if I got AAB, and I don't know if York would be willing to give it to me.

Most important thing is, as someone who goes to York, is to visit it and see what you think. York's spent a lot doing up its campus, redoing the library building a new sports complex etc but some people don't like the campus architecture (though if you liked Lancaster, you will probably like York)

City's are a bit different. Lancaster is a bit further out from the city iirc, whereas York is walkable to. Both are very highly regarded universities with a *little* rivalry between them (roses is AWESOME) so either one's a good pick

English is quite highly regarded at York but there's a huge range of students here, if you want to know more about the english side of the course pm me (I know a bit about the joint honours course as well). It's very independent learning based, with a heavy emphasis on contemporary literature, both English and foreign and there are bridge modules and the like with History. I do know people who didn't get 3As for English (they got AAB) and York was lenient and let them in - but bear in mind this was in 2008 or 2009. Things have changed.

So yeah any other questions?
Both are highly regarded. You have time to accept your offers so take your time and pick carefully.
I think leniency tends to depend on the number of applicants and the overall strength of your application. In your place, I would honestly just go for the one you want to go to, so do visit York as well.
Lancaster :wink:
However, I am biased... it's my first choice. Just look through the modules you would do at each university and see which one appeals to you the most, along with other things like accommodation, the activities that the SU offers etc. Obviously, it would be a good idea to visit York as well, but for the time being go on Google Maps and then streetview York. I've done it for all the unis I've applied for and looked around the city and everything... :redface: (Even though I have visited most of the unis I've applied for, apart from Essex)
Reply 7
I've got the same problem! but i think i'm going to firm York and insure Lancaster as York is better known for its employability etc
York is a really nice university :smile: Really, you've just got to pick the one you're prepared to work hardest to go to.
Reply 9
Hi there,

I am having somehow the same dilemma as well, I am between York and Lancaster for my Master´s degree. I am not very familiar with the UK so I don´t know which one is better, does anyone have any recommendations?

I am basing my choice on the following: Job offers after grad, Better business school. Please let me know if you have any idea of what I´m talking about

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending