The Student Room Group

Gcse English language aqa resit

Hey people, im retaking gcse english language aqa paper 2 tomorrow because i got a fat C in it last year, due to my teacher placing me in foundation for disliking me. I wanted someone to help me with the structure for section A : the poem comparison. So for example introduction then compare language used etc . just that structure please anyone?:frown:
Reply 1
hi eren, im currently in a fairly similar situation as you because im working towards my c from a previous D grade in my resits which im doing this week like yourself. ive been revising a lot and i was also asking myself the same question as you for a long period of time until i looked at this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english/poemscult/comparingpoemsrev10.shtml

this is a model answer on comparing poems and i hope it helps you. also go through the activities on comparing poems as well as provided in the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english/poemscult/poetrycompareact.shtml

the bitesize model answer is a bit long-winded though especially if you want to make a fair number of points so my preferable way of writing when comparing is to do this:

have a good intro saying something like: various language techniques are used in "Blessing and "Night of the scorpion to create effect, both poems show techniques that are similar to one another but on the other hand some techniques contrast one another.
(go on to say another sentence in your info if you want it to be really strong)

in a new paragraph start your:
.First point
.then First Piece of evidence
.then First explanation

then in the same paragraph in a new sentence start by saying whether or not the writer does something similarly or differently to your first point such as : Likewise the writer in night of the scorpion uses also uses simile's as in the form of anthropomorphism to highlight a point about the people around his mother

go on to make your second quote and second explanation and thats a paragraph done then.

now you have made two comparable points that are secured with point,evidence and an explanation and now just rinse and repeat until you have made as many points as you can

after you have done as many paragraphs as you want go on to finish with a end conclusion saying something like: From the points that i have made you can see the writers in "Blessing and "Night of the scorpion" use similar and contrasting techniques to make a create an overall effect. On one hand Blessing uses positive language and comparable devices to create a joyful picture in the readers mind while "Night of the scorpion" uses more violent language to create a more tense and sinister picture throughout the poem.

there you go i done my best to help because i know how tough it is when your confused so good luck in your paper 2 and i hope this helped.
Reply 2
For poetry make sure:

Every point is really specific, and that it is completely explained

Keep comparing!

Talk about structure - my teacher says examiners like it > E.G. In "Nothing's Changed" one line is isolated to illustrate segregation..

Key terms, but also their impact on the reader

Context of poem

What the poet is trying to say with the poem

Make sure that you contrast and compare poems

Also, do strong conclusion as well as introduction

I hope this is helpful! I'm doing the resit too; good luck x:wink:
Reply 3
Also finding this really useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHOKf4ItE8Y
Reply 4
Original post by eren yousouf
Hey people, im retaking gcse english language aqa paper 2 tomorrow because i got a fat C in it last year, due to my teacher placing me in foundation for disliking me. I wanted someone to help me with the structure for section A : the poem comparison. So for example introduction then compare language used etc . just that structure please anyone?:frown:

use P.E.E and just follow the criteria stated in the 3 bullet points , and talk mostly about the unseen poem as you are getting assessed on your reading skills in this section.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending