Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Finally got a job! Spending spree?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Finally got a job, not too shabby £10 an hour can work up to fifteen hours a week so gonna have much more money coming in than before when I had to save from odd jobs and budget like mad on the student loan.

My question is should I now throw caution to the wind and buy something expensive?

I having the earning potential to afford pointless gadgets that I can (and have) survive without. But should I just say screw it and buy stuff now I can make the money back?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spend money when you have money, not when you're about to have money.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have a put money into e-ISA spree
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hell yeah!!!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    buy this
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where is this job?
    Don't spend money before you have it. Never a good idea
    Also christmas is coming up, don't you have to save up tp buy people's present? (coming from someone panicking about only having £20 to spend on seven people O.O )
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Lol at the above. And £10? Geez your job!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    :angelwings: Save your money for a rainy day. You never know when you might need it.

:mwuaha: Ipad! Iphone! Ieverything! Buy it all! Things make you happy!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    What job if you dont mind me asking?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    Hey guys,

Finally got a job, not too shabby £10 an hour can work up to fifteen hours a week so gonna have much more money coming in than before when I had to save from odd jobs and budget like mad on the student loan.

My question is should I now throw caution to the wind and buy something expensive?

I having the earning potential to afford pointless gadgets that I can (and have) survive without. But should I just say screw it and buy stuff now I can make the money back?
    No, save your money. Put it in a bond, earn good interest on it. It'll be better later on.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    Hey guys,

Yes I say go for the spend.

You are at UCL so you are obviously not thick.

The economy needs people to get their wallets out and start spending, if everyone saves then the economy doesn't grow.

Think of your retail binge as doing your bit for the UK economy.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chances are you would spend it all and then get sacked the next week.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    no spending spree! Spend your money but save a little and ultimately LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS and that way you won't contribute to the global economic crisis that we're already in on the other hand many economists believe that a large scale "spending spree" is required to stabilise the economy so go ahead
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why anyone hasnt suggested that he splits it 50/50 between spending and saving. Maybe even donate one or two pounds to a charity.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    if you wanna go on a spending spree then go for it,its your money, however it is nearly christmas, you may buy something then end up getting it for christmas (often happens if i buy a cd or dvd and then someone buys it me as a surprise so iv stopped buying stuff for myself around this time of year). plus if you wait till after christmas you can have your big spending spree and probably get more for your money with it being the january sales.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Save some, spend some.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    OMG what job pays that much!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I spend my wages as fast as I get it. Go nuts dude. Can't spend it when your dead.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piko_Piko)
    :angelwings: Save your money for a rainy day. You never know when you might need it.

:mwuaha: Ipad! Iphone! Ieverything! Buy it all! Things make you happy!
    Exactly what I had in mind.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Save some, spend some.
    aww

I'm having a huge headache now but this make me

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 7, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.