Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am i suitable to do petroleum engineering?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm an international student looking forward to do a degree in petroleum engineering next year.
    Below are the subjest I did for IGCSEs and AS/A2

IGCSE:Maths,Econ,Accounting,Chem istry,Physics,English,Science (GCSE science 360)

AS/A2:Maths,Further Maths,Econ,Accounting,Physics

Do you think my subject combination is alrightto study petroleum engineering?
    I'm worried about not having chemistry for AS/A2.
    Will this be a problem?
    It'll be great if you can provide me an answer soon.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mhm yeah but the lack of chemistry might be a problem.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody tell me whether I can go into petroleum engineering with my current subjects?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    OHOH, Vindpuss. But yeah, where's the Chemistry?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vindpuss)
    Can somebody tell me whether I can go into petroleum engineering with my current subjects?
    Im not sure how competitive petroleum engineering courses are but I imagine you won't have a problem provided your grades are good. You've got the numerical subjects and physics, economics is useful aswell. If universities do have an issue with a lack of chemistry the international fees you will pay should offset this.

It's probably wise to do some background reading in the subject regardless to improve your knowledge and prepare a plan B should, for whatever reason, you be deemed unsuitable.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry would aid a whole lot, Maths and F.Maths will do a great deal towards your cause.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you really need chemistry, otherwise they wont let you do it. my cousin went to Portsmouth uni to do petroleum ... i really recommend u go there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You will need chemistry.

I agree with the poster above, go somewhere that'll allow you to progress to chartered status.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Petroleum engineering usually done post grad course so if your lack of chemistry A-level prevents you from doing it as a first degree, maybe do some other type of engineering (e.g.. mechanical, civil) as your undergrad degree and then follow it up with an MSc in petroleum engineering.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeeBerry)
    Petroleum engineering usually done post grad course so if your lack of chemistry A-level prevents you from doing it as a first degree, maybe do some other type of engineering (e.g.. mechanical, civil) as your undergrad degree and then follow it up with an MSc in petroleum engineering.
    Agree. I was surprised to see that Imperial College is happy to take Economics graduates on its MSc Petroleum Engineering.
    The course is designed for new graduates as well as those with previous experience of the petroleum industry. In recent years, we have taken gradutes from a wide range of academic backgrounds from Chemical/Mechanical Engineering to Physics and Economics.
    http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/earthscie...eumengineering
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Your lack of chemistry should not be a big problem as chemical Engineering/petroleum Engineering have very little to do with chemistry (the contrary is a popular misconception!)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 31, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.