The Student Room Group

Share your revision techniques on Bio and Chem A Level

This year, I'm studying:
AS and A2 Biology
AS and A2 Chemistry
A2 Physics

I've already done AS & A2 Maths (A*), AS & A2 Further Maths (A), and A2 Physics (A) last year.

The problem is Biology and Chemistry seem to require a different learning style to it, compared to maths and physics.

Maths and Physics are easy, you just understand the concept and answer lots of questions. I go through the topic once and it's ok, I can start answering question.

Biology and Chemistry seems a bit different to me. I have to go through the topic multiple times just to ram the information in my head. Tons of information to be memorized, unlike maths and physics wherein there's very little to memorize (you just go through tons of examples and it becomes instinctive).

I've had tests and I just get either a B or C. At least, I want to get an A.

Well, so how do you study Bio and Chemistry?
For Chemistry, I just keep doing Past Years and also the exercises in reference books.

For Bio, I recite loudly to myself everytime I study. and go through my notes, reciting loudly everytime I go through it, at least 5 times.
Reply 2
Original post by Alpha-Omega
This year, I'm studying:
AS and A2 Biology
AS and A2 Chemistry
A2 Physics

I've already done AS & A2 Maths (A*), AS & A2 Further Maths (A), and A2 Physics (A) last year.

The problem is Biology and Chemistry seem to require a different learning style to it, compared to maths and physics.

Maths and Physics are easy, you just understand the concept and answer lots of questions. I go through the topic once and it's ok, I can start answering question.

Biology and Chemistry seems a bit different to me. I have to go through the topic multiple times just to ram the information in my head. Tons of information to be memorized, unlike maths and physics wherein there's very little to memorize (you just go through tons of examples and it becomes instinctive).

I've had tests and I just get either a B or C. At least, I want to get an A.

Well, so how do you study Bio and Chemistry?

I would say the key for these subjects is definitely past papers. It's all well and good knowing the content inside out but the questions involve problem solving and applying rather than regurgitating (as you have described Maths and Physics)

I am studying AS and A2 Biology at the moment and AS Chemistry - all at home (distant learning). I have found that either writing or using the computer to type or write out the important and distinctive information i.e. definitions, diagrams, stages also helps. When revising don't write out everything you need to know word for word - use big headings, write down short, important words and then use your original notes along with your revision notes to explain/learn what each heading is all about that way in the exam you will be able to remember associated words and it will more than likely come back to you.

Also you should consider your learning style. Mine is visual mainly so I use lots of diagrams, bold fonts, lots and lots of colour! :smile:

Good luck with your exams, I'm sure you will be fine.
Hi,

I am impressed with what you say. Can you let me know how you are doing home learning ? What help do you get if you are stuck understanding stuff?
What board are you doing for Biology and Chemistry? I am struggling at the moment understanding these subjects and any advice is much appreciated.

thanks
Si
Reply 4
Original post by Simonthegreat
Hi,

I am impressed with what you say. Can you let me know how you are doing home learning ? What help do you get if you are stuck understanding stuff?
What board are you doing for Biology and Chemistry? I am struggling at the moment understanding these subjects and any advice is much appreciated.

thanks
Si

If this post was aimed at me:

1) Thank you
2) I am studying distant learning via my local college of which I studied full time last year. I paid £400 to study one of the subjects and just pay to sit each of the other exams (It is rather expensive though)
3) I can honestly say that I don't get any help if I don't understand something. I would spend a longer amount of time on that subject, researching until I did understand it, eventually you will find most things just click :smile:
4) WJEC for Biology (I HATE wjec!!! They are a horrible, horrible exam board) and OCR Chemistry

Don't feel disheartened. These subjects are considered two of the hardest A-levels and everyone struggles at some point, many of which at the start of the year.

If you are at college I would suggest talking to your teacher if you get stuck or don't understand anything. I would also ask them to check past papers that you complete (they know best about how to answer them).

If you are not at college perhaps consider getting a private tutor. Most prices range from £25+ an hour (EXPENSIVE) however, it would probably be worth it to see the tutor a couple of times a month or even maybe 2 hours a month so that they can go over subjects you are really struggling with.

I hope things work out for you :smile:

All the best
Mind maps, CGP revision guides, doing the same past paper a billion times until I get 100% then doing another...
Hi,

Has anyone got any tips for revising for this exam for Jan 2012. I am doing spec A. I am really struggling grasping it and am worried how I will cope with all my AS levels.

Is there any good easy to understand websites for this topic?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Si
Reply 7
Original post by Simonthegreat
Hi,

Has anyone got any tips for revising for this exam for Jan 2012. I am doing spec A. I am really struggling grasping it and am worried how I will cope with all my AS levels.

Is there any good easy to understand websites for this topic?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Si

www.chemguide.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/jamesmungall
www.khanacademy.org
www.brighstorm.com

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending