The Student Room Group

Tesco Trainee Management Programme 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Okay I will do so watch out for a random pm haha

so do u go straight to the assessment centre? gosh im jealous, imagine failing the work sample :frown: what kind of things do u do in ur just as i know its not just shelf stacking lol

also, if u dnt mind me asking, where r u from? im scotland :smile:
Reply 21
Ill reply in pm aha rather than spam this thread up :-)
Hello,

I'm also considering applying for this.

How did you guys find the verbal reasoning and numerical tests?

Are these taken online? Meaning calculators :O ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Inlineadam
Hello,

I'm also considering applying for this.

How did you guys find the verbal reasoning and numerical tests?

Are these taken online? Meaning calculators :O ?

Hiya!

Yeah it is a really good programme to apply for :smile:

I personally found the online tests quite difficult, it was probably the pressure of being against a timer :/ the verbal test was slightly easier I would say. I cant remember if I used a calculator or not but I definately used loads of paper and a pen lol

I took a couple of practice tests before so I would advise you do that, just so you know what to expect and work under the clock etc. and yes the tests are online and u get 7 days to complete them! :smile:
Original post by pixiee
Hiya!

Yeah it is a really good programme to apply for :smile:

I personally found the online tests quite difficult, it was probably the pressure of being against a timer :/ the verbal test was slightly easier I would say. I cant remember if I used a calculator or not but I definately used loads of paper and a pen lol

I took a couple of practice tests before so I would advise you do that, just so you know what to expect and work under the clock etc. and yes the tests are online and u get 7 days to complete them! :smile:

Thanks for the reply :smile:

Maths is one of my strong points ( currently doing Advanced Higher up here in Scotland ) but I suppose the aptitude tests don't cover any of that!
Reply 25
Thanks for the reply :smile:

Maths is one of my strong points ( currently doing Advanced Higher up here in Scotland ) but I suppose the aptitude tests don't cover any of that!

Oh Im in Scotland too lol!

Yeah I did my higher Maths and then did some modules in data analysis and accounting at uni so im quite good too but it didnt help me with the tests haha its the pressure and the timing :frown:

The questions are like basic maths stuff but with me I got confused with some of them haha!

Have you submitted an application yet?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by pixiee
Oh Im in Scotland too lol!

Yeah I did my higher Maths and then did some modules in data analysis and accounting at uni so im quite good too but it didnt help me with the tests haha its the pressure and the timing :frown:

The questions are like basic maths stuff but with me I got confused with some of them haha!

Have you submitted an application yet?

Not yet,

I need to convince my parents first...

They believe I should be going to uni and getting a degree due to my good higher results.....

I can see where they are coming from. I just wonder how much opportunity there is to progress in the tesco scheme?
Reply 27
Not yet,

I need to convince my parents first...

They believe I should be going to uni and getting a degree due to my good higher results.....

I can see where they are coming from. I just wonder how much opportunity there is to progress in the tesco scheme?

No, I understand what they are saying. Well I started uni when I was 16 I was quite young and I didnt finish my second year because it just wasnt for me. I wasnt even going to get into any debt so money wasnt the reason. I personally prefer a more practical approach as uni was all theory. It was enjoyable at times but I would much prefer something like this. Also, there are sooo many students leaving uni with degrees and are then working as retail assistants or call centre work as they cant get into the sector using their degree. There is just far too much competition between graduates.

Obviously, it cant be all that bad as unis are full and there are loads of people applying and wanting to go, im simply speaking from personal experience.

Also, the chance to progress within Tesco is so high and amazing. One of the Board Directors came from this scheme - it can be done. If you work hard it will pay off, it seems like we are in control of how we work and where we progress to. Remember that Tesco is a global company - it cud take you anywhere and everywhere :smile:

Sorry for the long essay haha, but I would def speak with ur parents about how u feel :smile: it is ue decision ultimately
if i do apply, ultimately they will stand by my decision.

When I look at it, if it doesn't work out it's not the end of the world.

I can defer entry for uni to 2013

Presuming training starts around February sometime, if during training i decide it's not for me then i can still go to uni in September.

( ofcourse that's if i managed to get into the programme at first )
Reply 29
Yeah I see what you mean. Mahbe weigh ou :smile:t the advantages and disadvantages of each. The Tesco Management Programme is not easy to get into and a lot of people desperately want to get into it. I wouldnt advise just trying it out and then quitting, if management and really hard work doesnt sound like anything you wantbits maybe not for you. I do understand the feeling.of not knowing where to go or what to do though lol we all go through it ao i see what ur saying
I will probably apply, there's no harm in doing so.
Has anyone booked there work sample in March Cambridge?
Reply 32
Original post by Student1768
Has anyone booked there work sample in March Cambridge?

Hiyaa, nah Ive booked mine in Glasgow in Feb :smile:
Ah right! Good Luck!
Reply 34
hey....
Im new to student room,
I have got my telephone interview on this Friday for the store development programme.
Just want to know that same question been asked such as why retail, why tesco????
Is there any hard questions where i need to find out of tesco???

Would be really helpful if anyone let me know please :smile:
Reply 35
Hi, I currently work at Tesco, have done since I left school and all the way through college. Passed my telephone interview. Just wondering if anyone has heard back with details off the assessment centre? :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by BradHosk
Hi, I currently work at Tesco, have done since I left school and all the way through college. Passed my telephone interview. Just wondering if anyone has heard back with details off the assessment centre? :smile:

Hiya :smile:

I passed my phone interview too, never worked for Tesco though so just had my work sample there. Spoke with the store manager and the assessment centre is either April or May its not been decided and confirmed yet :smile:
Original post by pixiee
Hiya :smile:

I passed my phone interview too, never worked for Tesco though so just had my work sample there. Spoke with the store manager and the assessment centre is either April or May its not been decided and confirmed yet :smile:

Hey pixiee, congrats on your progress so far. Can you please tell me what your work sample was like and if you have any tips? I have one coming up this week :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Solitaire617
Hey pixiee, congrats on your progress so far. Can you please tell me what your work sample was like and if you have any tips? I have one coming up this week :smile:

Hiii! Thank youu yeah I think my work sample went really well. Its not the managers testing you, its just for you to enjoy the day and to see if their retail environment is right for you soo my advice to you would be dont stress over it, be yourself, relax and enjoy the day as tpu will take more from it. Youll be absolutely fine :smile:

Ive commented on another thread about this as well mainly talking about the work sample too as theres so many threads on this lol

Good luckkkk :smile:!
Reply 39
Btw did any of you on your work sample just get till train and dumped as reliefs ha ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending