The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
My box was supposed to be installed this Friday, but I had it pushed back to next week Thursday caue of exams and stuff... Also I want to enjoy driving without it for now.

Pretty sure my insurance will end up going up because I do like driving at night.

Then again, I'm less likely to drive at night once Uni starts so who knows :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 121
Hi

Was wondering if someone could help me :smile:

My 18 year old son just passed his driving test, just before Christmas and is now eager to get out driving obviously!

Have spent forever searching for insurance that i dont need to re-mortgage for. Seriously getting quotes of 5-7 grand on average!!

We have brought him a 2002 Clio. He will be driving to college and back & work and back in the evenings.

Obviously we dont want to go down the whole 'fronting' route so have been looking at the Co-op insurance for him.

The best quote ive had from them is £2700 which is having him as main driver (he owns the car) driving 4-5000 miles. Adding his step dad as second driver, also driving 4-5000 miles a year.

While this is almost half the cost of any other insurance (and i am happy about that part lol), looking for any other suggestions for bring it down a little.

I rang the Co-op today and they said that he needs to be main driver as he owns the car and will be using it on a daily basis, whereas step dad would only be using it every other weekend for long journeys (family dotted all round country so thought we might try using his little car rather than our huge petrol guzzling thing! .... try and save some pennies maybe on all our fuel costs)

I dont drive at all, so i am no use to him whatsoever ..... hmmmm actually i guess i am of some use, its my credit card lol

Cant believe lads insurance is so expensive though, we brought my step daughter a car last year and her insurance was only £1600 with no added drivers!!
'Fronting' and protecting your no claims bonus would have been the best option for you!
Reply 123
Original post by Doctor.
This made me laugh :')

I put myself as named driver lol, mines only £1000 which tbh isn't bad. After a year or two, you'll get really cheap insurance and you can get off the Young Drivers policy!. I'm planning on switching to the main Co-Op policy after 2 years lol. :biggrin:

i feel sorry for the kids who pay like 5/6k a year....And that being named driver lol

which car are you driving?
Reply 124
I don't believe any new driver can find cheap insurance without any sort of fronting what so over, in this day and age.
Reply 125
Original post by Yawn11

Original post by Yawn11
I don't believe any new driver can find cheap insurance without any sort of fronting what so over, in this day and age.

Let me know how the box is like plz :wink:
Reply 126
Original post by aki1994
Let me know how the box is like plz :wink:

Will do!
question, put parent as named driver, when i increased there mileage to 8k-10k the insurance premium drops? but what if they dont drive that much?

also if i add a relative as a third named driver, with 5k miles will they actually need to drive 5k?
(edited 12 years ago)
bump
Original post by Stryder402
question, put parent as named driver, when i increased there mileage to 8k-10k the insurance premium drops? but what if they dont drive that much?

also if i add a relative as a third named driver, with 5k miles will they actually need to drive 5k?

Doesn't really matter. It's an estimate of their driving from last year.
Reply 130
Im a named driver on my mums insurance on this policy, But im the only person who drives the car, it wasnt an issue that my mum already has another car.

I only paid £550 for my insurance, whereas the cheapest insurance i could find elsewhere was over £3000.

I consider myself a really bad driver (having driven down a pedestrian street, and more than once getting out of the car without putting the handbrake on and watched it roll away) but i still got a £30 rebate! Seriously advise everyone to go with them!
Reply 131
If you buy the quote online, do they make u do any other phone calls or is it immediate?
Right: Got mine down to a "mere" £802 including the extra £25 for legal cover.

I put my miles down to 1000-2000 per year (which is probably true). If I put my miles down to 0-1000 it goes down to £674 but I think i'd be pushing it too far with that.

I put my dad at 8000-10000 a year and my mum at 6000-8000 a year,

Also. Saying you work in a bar adds £100 to the bill so don't say you work in a bar...

This is for a 1.3 micra. woo guess i'll be buying the car now that I can get the insurance down to a affordable price.
Reply 133
Original post by aki1994
If you buy the quote online, do they make u do any other phone calls or is it immediate?

It's immediate. You can go out and drive straight away.
Original post by Camoxide
Doesn't really matter. It's an estimate of their driving from last year.

thanks , because id probably only stick with this for a year (driving at 30mph on 30 is real slow prefer 35 max if the road is empty)

also whats the best mileage to put down for me as main driver

btw im 17 years old passed on 25th november last year, looking to insure golf E 1.4

Also do the named drivers have to live with you? just one named driver will be my aunt that does not live with me
(edited 12 years ago)
can you spread ncd discount over 2 cars on the coop policy eg if my mum has another car and wants use her ncd on that policy can she also use it on this policy ?
What ncd proof do they need ?
Reply 137
Original post by Tremmel Smith
can you spread ncd discount over 2 cars on the coop policy eg if my mum has another car and wants use her ncd on that policy can she also use it on this policy ?

You can't unfortunately it can only be used on one car for one insurance company. I'm currently insured as a named driver on my mums car. She has 15 years NCB and I am building mine as a named driver.
If you used your NCB on 2 different policies from 2 different insurance companies at the same time, how would they find out?
Reply 139
Original post by bennybanks
If you used your NCB on 2 different policies from 2 different insurance companies at the same time, how would they find out?

Because you need former evidence of NCB from your previous insurer e.g a letter from them. If you happen to somehow get NCB on two different policies, in the event of a claim or accident that would invalidate your insurance. Most insurance companies policy will only allow use of NCB on one vehicle. The only exception might be taking multicar insurance from the same company.

Latest