The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Feb 2012 W100 people over here!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Thank god I've got an extension. Had a 2 day trial last week, a hearing before that, school holidays, meetings all over the place, daughter goes back to school on Monday so I'll be able to just sit down & concentrate again, I'm dreading the summer hols!!!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Yay! I've finished ETMA 3. Going to give myself a week before I start worrying about the next one.
Good luck everyone. :smile:
Hi all. thought I would say hello. Not starting LLB(Hons) till Feb'13, but possibly Oct'12, (depending on finances!) I am 48yrsold and have done no study since my school days, so am very apprehensive! Anyone in same age bracket? If so, how are you finding the course so far? If I am the oldeest(god forbid!), how are the rest of you finding it, maybe compared to what you expected before you actually started?
Reply 344
Hi sirfergie

It's OK! It's more work than I expected and harder than I thought to fit it all in. All my thoughts of fitting it in around work, kids & normal life have been proven very naive!!!

I've not studied since GCSEs either, I'm 35 in 2 weeks, but I'm actually finding it very easy to understand, when I have the time to do it!!

There are people in their 60s at my lectures so I'm sure you won't be the oldest!

Good luck with it!
Reply 345
Original post by sirfergie7264
Hi all. thought I would say hello. Not starting LLB(Hons) till Feb'13, but possibly Oct'12, (depending on finances!) I am 48yrsold and have done no study since my school days, so am very apprehensive! Anyone in same age bracket? If so, how are you finding the course so far? If I am the oldeest(god forbid!), how are the rest of you finding it, maybe compared to what you expected before you actually started?

Welcome.

I can't comment on the law bits, but many people are in their 40's, 50's, 60's and beyond at the OU. We had an 80 something in one of my maths modules iirc, so don't let your age put you off further study if you want it :smile:
Thanks folks. @Oppro: you say "lectures". I thought there were no lectures on OU courses? Is this a new thing, or are you meaning tutor group/monthly meeting type things?
Reply 347
Hi all doing? I did ok on my first 2 - in the 80s not had results for latest one yet!
Reply 348
Original post by sirfergie7264
Thanks folks. @Oppro: you say "lectures". I thought there were no lectures on OU courses? Is this a new thing, or are you meaning tutor group/monthly meeting type things?

There are no lectures - just a monthly tutorial meeting/online meeting (depending on the course) where you can run through the work and the assignments and raise questions about things that are confusing you :smile:
That clarifies what I thought. Thanks alawhisp.
Reply 350
How'd everyone do in eTMA03? I got 67. Not bad but I want to get that higher in the next ones. I've had 81, 51 & 67 now which is fine & passing, but I want at least 70 in the rest & I can do it if I actually put the work in but I've not read past half way through unit 2 yet, been completely winging it but with numerous court trials & hearings & meetings & god knows what else I've just not had a chance.
How's everyone getting on with eTMA 4?
Reply 352
I got 68 last TMA. Not as good as my first result of 85 but marginally better then my previous result of 63.
Not even looked at TMA4 yet, I have to finish unit 11 first.
Ive had two colds in two weeks ! so getting frustrated about the amount of study i'm missing out on.
Waaahhhhh wahhhhhhh I am stuck on ETMA 04 how do we write in the third person? Lol I think I may have to re-assess this law malarky very soon... I'm only just breaking through on the ETMA's scores :s-smilie: may have bitten off more than I can chew.. anyone else having problems and if so anyone give me any tips on how to get a degree via easier subjects lol :eek:
I'm doing my degree in criminology and psychological studies, for 60 units of the first 120 credits it has to be taken in another subject so I'm doing W100, not until February 2013 though. I started a degree last year at Manchester Metropolitan University, I left because of ill health and now I'm ready to learn again

Just wondering what I can expect from the course and The Open University in general?
Hey despite my mumblings above W100 is actually a good course. I'm juggling mine with raising three kids and working and being a single Mum so if I'm honest my problem is the time element so I'm pretty much winging it or I'm so tired when I do get down to reading it it's not sinking in.

The lectures are great though and generally I can't fault OU. I haven't done any studying since school so the fact I'm even getting the results I'm getting is keeping me pleased.
Original post by Lillylawless
Hey despite my mumblings above W100 is actually a good course. I'm juggling mine with raising three kids and working and being a single Mum so if I'm honest my problem is the time element so I'm pretty much winging it or I'm so tired when I do get down to reading it it's not sinking in.

The lectures are great though and generally I can't fault OU. I haven't done any studying since school so the fact I'm even getting the results I'm getting is keeping me pleased.

How do they carry out lectures?
I don't have children, so I have a lot of time to myself, I think I'll do okay :smile:

I'm in the same boat. Time is a problem. I have kids, work and am a single parent. It's tough.
Reply 358
Yep me too, exhausted working single mum. Don't know how I'll do it when it gets harder to be honest & I have to actually work at it & the marks count!
Reply 359
Waaahhhhh wahhhhhhh I am stuck on ETMA 04 how do we write in the third person?

Instead of saying I think or I would suggest, say it appears that, it seems that

I've had to think a bit on this one as it says imagine YOU are advising the CPS so it's really tempting to say I would say or I think.

If for example you were going to say I think she should be prosecuted you could say it appears that there is a justifiable reason to prosecute / pursue a charge or however you want to word it.

I'm in a bit of a panic with this one. Having an extension on the last one has totally thrown my timescales! Only realised yesterday that this needed to be in Friday & only looked at it for the first time lunch time today!

Quick Reply

Latest