The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Feb 2012 W100 people over here!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Hiya, I'm new here and have only discovered this forum as a result of sheer panic over eTMA06. I'm completely stumped with it all and it's making me feel sick!! I hope I get a large chunk of it over with tonight although I don't even know where to start! Eeek!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by LizC84
Hiya, I'm new here and have only discovered this forum as a result of sheer panic over eTMA06. I'm completely stumped with it all and it's making me feel sick!! I hope I get a large chunk of it over with tonight although I don't even know where to start! Eeek!

welcome!! :smile:Your not on your own with how to tackle this question, i guess we just have to break each question down and look carefully at each of the relevant facts and apply them to the law. Tip look back at etmas 1, 4 which were similar problem solving questions and look how you can improve from your tutors feedback given. :smile: hope that helps.
Reply 422
First off all im not giving answers im giving my opinion on the question so that it can be debated as you would do with other students if you attended a brick uni.

Original post by lynnemp
^ Absolutely no idea!!

I don't get the question, don't know where to even begin with an answer.

Question 1.

Your Law firm is representing Jake who has been charged with burglary.

You have been asked to consider how the court is likely to apply the factors of law and give an indication of Jakes likely sentence.

Simply state the argument for and against Jake e.g for him he is only 21 and against him e.g the house was occupied.

Then give your verdict. Which in my opinion there is no right or wrong answer as a prison sentence could be passed but in my view community service is more likely.

Anyone got a different view?
Original post by Lisa_1972
First off all im not giving answers im giving my opinion on the question so that it can be debated as you would do with other students if you attended a brick uni.

Question 1.

Your Law firm is representing Jake who has been charged with burglary.

You have been asked to consider how the court is likely to apply the factors of law and give an indication of Jakes likely sentence.

Simply state the argument for and against Jake e.g for him he is only 21 and against him e.g the house was occupied.

Then give your verdict. Which in my opinion there is no right or wrong answer as a prison sentence could be passed but in my view community service is more likely.

Anyone got a different view?

"Likely sentence" high level aggravating factor as trauma suffered by victim.

Medium level in that house was occupied.
Reply 424
Original post by bottleandahalf
"Likely sentence" high level aggravating factor as trauma suffered by victim.

Medium level in that house was occupied.

I think it could go either way depending on the judge on the day.

Some mitigating factors.

He is a young man only 21.

First offence.

Admitted the offence.

It was an opportunistic crime rather than being planned.

Although the seriousness revolves around the trauma to the victim rather than
whether the victim intended to cause trauma etc, The mitigating factors may sway against a sentence.
Original post by Lisa_1972
I think it could go either way depending on the judge on the day.

Some mitigating factors.

He is a young man only 21.

First offence.

Admitted the offence.

It was an opportunistic crime rather than being planned.

Although the seriousness revolves around the trauma to the victim rather than
whether the victim intended to cause trauma etc, The mitigating factors may sway against a sentence.

I would have to agree.
From reading through Jake didn't give an explanation for his actions, other than the driver of the car annoying him, surely this wouldn't stand up in court?
Reply 427
After reading through reading 37 i am going have to say ive changed my decision over the sentencing. Jake should be sentenced to 18 months (p170, paragraph d).

I'm also going to add a Compensation Order (p172, paragraph 39) for the broken window and possibly the trauma.

And also as Claire stated there is no sign of remorse.
Reply 428
Thank you all so much. Really appreciate the help and pointers. Didn't even know where to start with it a couple of days ago, feeling slightly calmer now :wink:
Anyone know if we can use the grace period?
The grace period what's that?

I'm balancing out at 40's for my Etma's although have had one 67% now starting the ETMA 07 but with kids on holidays it's a killer trying to the reading etc for the essay. Anyone started this yet? I'm not sure how to start this or how to evaluate it .. feeling a lot of pressure on the build up to the EMA trust it to be over the summer holidays !!
Reply 431
The final EMA question has been published.

Question

'It is said that Parliament is more in touch with the outside world than is the judiciary. It is certainly true that Parliament can more quickly turn public opinion and social policy into new law.'

Evaluate the second sentence in this quotation by describing the processes by which Parliament and the judiciary make law and by using examples from the spheres of legal personality, criminal responsibility, corporate manslaughter, and marriage and family life.

looks pretty widespread.
I'm still preoccupied with eTMA 07 (which I am not finding easy) but I have taken a bit of time today to look at the EMA question and to think how I might approach it.

I intend to do a full essay plan beforehand and after I have re-read the appropriate blocks and readings but a good starting point seems to be found around the answer to Q2 of eTMA 02. With hindsight I could have answered that one a lot better when I did it but now, it seems, I have another chance to present much of the information again and this time with the benefit of my tutor's feedback and advice.

However, the vast amount of the main body should, I think, cover an evaluation of Parliament and the judiciary's lawmaking in 'the spheres of legal personality, criminal responsibility, corporate manslaughter, and marriage and family life.' Some of this is unchartered territory but appears to be covered by Unit 23 and 24 of Block 7.

Picking out the best examples to use is probably going to give me a headache. It usually does.

How does everyone else plan to approach this one?
I'm just finishing up ETMA 07 I've used so many cases my bibliography is massive,
OMG I just don't get it. I started the W100 and I am just about to finish it. In order to be eligible for transitional fees for the next course I have declared I am eligible and then went to try and get myself on W200 being the next step. The fee is coming up as £2,500 but if I started the course today fresh it would be £2,500.00. Am I missing the point as I thought by being eligible for transitional fees I would be able to get the W200 cheaper...

All this coming at a time where my brain is filled with ETMA07, Ema's etc. I don't think I can afford to spend £2,500 without passing this course either what if I fail this one... anyone else know what they are doing?
Original post by Lillylawless
I have declared I am eligible and then went to try and get myself on W200 being the next step. The fee is coming up as £2,500 but if I started the course today fresh it would be £2,500.00. Am I missing the point as I thought by being eligible for transitional fees I would be able to get the W200 cheaper...

The same thing happened to me. However, a few days after I had registered I checked again and the fees shown were the reduced transitional ones.

But there is not good news here. The transitional fee for W200 is £2240 nevertheless. The Law courses seem to all be expensive in comparison to most of the other subjects on offer (with the exception of W100). If you want to pursue LLB be prepared to fork out the dosh.

I have to admit that I can't afford it and at 50-something I don't need it so I will be happy to pursue an Open Degree for 300 units. My next module will cost £475 with transitional relief.
Reply 436
How's everyone getting on?

I've not been on for months, life went ever so slightly wrong & I've totally cocked this up. My grades have steadily declined from 81 on the first ETMA to 30 on the last one, with one being substituted as I didn't get it done at all. If I pass this it'll be by literally 1%! Just waiting to get my grade for ETMA07 & see if I have the slightest chance of passing, it'll literally be by the skin of my teeth.

On the assesment calculator, if you've missed one assignment, what do you put in? Is it the average of all your other scores? Without the mark from 07 & 05 (which is the substitution) it says I've got 33.68%. The rest of my grades have been 81, 51, 67, 48, 30 so the average would be 55... is that how you do it??

Suppose it's only a week or two before I find out what I get for 07 then I'll have a better idea but we need 40% on the ETMAs plus 40% on the EMA to pass don't we? So if I've not got 40% on the ETMAs there's no point doing the EMA, right? Or am I talking rubbish??
Original post by Oppro
How's everyone getting on?

I've not been on for months, life went ever so slightly wrong & I've totally cocked this up. My grades have steadily declined from 81 on the first ETMA to 30 on the last one, with one being substituted as I didn't get it done at all. If I pass this it'll be by literally 1%! Just waiting to get my grade for ETMA07 & see if I have the slightest chance of passing, it'll literally be by the skin of my teeth.

On the assesment calculator, if you've missed one assignment, what do you put in? Is it the average of all your other scores? Without the mark from 07 & 05 (which is the substitution) it says I've got 33.68%. The rest of my grades have been 81, 51, 67, 48, 30 so the average would be 55... is that how you do it??

Suppose it's only a week or two before I find out what I get for 07 then I'll have a better idea but we need 40% on the ETMAs plus 40% on the EMA to pass don't we? So if I've not got 40% on the ETMAs there's no point doing the EMA, right? Or am I talking rubbish??

Hey there, Best thing to do is contact your tutor for advice on your marks, failing that ring student services for help. Afterall you dont want to miss out on a chance of passing if you dont submit your ema but then you dont want to be wasting your time either. By the looks of things if i have got the maths right you could still pass but you would need atleast another 6.32 on etma 07 to reach the 40% pass,that means as its weighted at 17% you would need to score atleast approx 50-54 on it to pass. Do this and its happy days!! Get you tutor to check it out for you. :smile: Ive been keeping a steady score of above 50% and ive already got 42.44% before recieving marks back from etma 07. So relieved just got the dreaded EMA left to do now, no idea where to start. :confused: Good luck!!!
Original post by big dreamer
By the looks of things if i have got the maths right you could still pass but you would need atleast another 6.32 on etma 07 to reach the 40% pass,that means as its weighted at 17% you would need to score atleast approx 50-54 on it to pass.

I have to disagree with Big Dreamer. Your chances are much better. By my calculations a score of 38 on eTMA 07 will see you through the continuous assessment (OCAS). Calculated like this:-

100 divide by 17 x 6.32 = 37.18

Good luck.
Original post by 'Old Man River'
I have to disagree with Big Dreamer. Your chances are much better. By my calculations a score of 38 on eTMA 07 will see you through the continuous assessment (OCAS). Calculated like this:-

100 divide by 17 x 6.32 = 37.18

Good luck.

Ok correct me if im wrong, but dont you need over 40 on each etma to pass regardless?! Then over 40 on the ema. check your assement guide it tells you in there.

Quick Reply

Latest