The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

How Is the Education in Cass Business School?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ILikeProperThings
I thank you for the contribution! but I disagree with your statement. Personal experience is more valuable than 'the top tire student's opinion' on the academic quality of the business school. What I liked about the comment was that I can tell that this person is still so angry about the quality of education that he/she received at Cass. This comes from a person who graduated from Cass. That says something about this school.

I also agree with the point that most professors at Cass do not have a PhD from Oxford, Cambridge, LBS or respectable universities in the US. But if you look at the business school at Oxford, most professors have a PhD from world class universities, and there are no professors at Oxford, Cambridge and LBS who have a PhD from Cass. I mean I can't find even 1 professor.

I am sure you can find FI Exotics Credit traders who graduated from London Met, Westminster and Kingston. That wasn't the point. Why does anyone envy fi exotics credit trader?

I don't really understand your comments. Your English is a bit like Borat tbh, are you from Eastern Europe? My point is that idiots like you piss too much about uni. I work with maths grads from Cambridge and the last thing they do is brag about Uni. Most of the discussion that you've had on this page has been a monologue b/c no-one else can be bothered to reply to your stupid questions and findings. I don't give a toss where you will go to study, but your rational doesn't add up. Go to Oxford/Cambridge and piss on Cass, I couldn't care less.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 21

Finally, I don't like the fact that they have got representatives on the TSR. It makes them appear desperate and cheap.

Thanks people. No representatives please. No representatives please.

Freshfields have a TSR rep
Original post by student_london
I don't really understand your comments. Your English is a bit like Borat tbh, are you from Eastern Europe? My point is that idiots like you piss too much about uni. I work with maths grads from Cambridge and the last thing they do is brag about Uni. Most of the discussion that you've had on this page has been a monologue b/c no-one else can be bothered to reply to your stupid questions and findings. I don't give a toss where you will go to study, but your rational doesn't add up. Go to Oxford/Cambridge and piss on Cass, I couldn't care less.

Thank you. That's exactly what I meant. This is just the way I write. Sorry.
(edited 12 years ago)
They have a good reputation in Canada.
Original post by frank1
I am following these Cass comments with some interest as I have an offer and considering. Please, someone help me understand how the Guardian have ranked them 3rd for Business Studies?? My sister went to St. Andrews and I too have applied. I don't like the fact is so far and remote but the ranking of 4th whilst City/Cass is 3rd, well, I just don't get it. It worries me when I read comments that City is some sort of joke amongst employers. At the end of the day all I want is a job!!

If this helps, The Financial Times' European Business School Ranking 2011 puts Cass 15th, Imperial 14th, Oxford 10th, LSE 22nd, Henley 33rd, Manchester 38th, Cambridge 46th, Bath 63rd, and Brunel 73rd. Whatever said in this thread, I don't think City is 'sort of joke amongst employers.' I personally feel that some ranking tables lie and confuse people, at least confused me, so I wanted to know what the current students thought about Cass.

For my graduate school, I decided to apply to more traditional universities to be on the safe side. I would rather have Imperial, Warwick or Bristol on my CV. The reputation of City is not even close to that of those universities.

When you go and meet new people in a club or bar, always the first question is 'what do you do?' and depending on the answer, you get a follow-up 'where did/do you study?' I want to say Bristol not City. Cass makes me sound like such a boring person.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by scaredofexams
I am thinking the same as you! When I looked around at CASS I was amazed, the website and the guardian table really sold it to me. I thought to myself 'If I come here, I will get an amazing job at a big multi-national' and I LOVED the uni. It was not too big, just the right size, just a bit expensive to live there. But now reading all of these, I am very confused :frown:

I too was so smitten by their website and the ranking table in the Financial Times and other newspapers. But as soon as I started to look at the webpages of professors, I began to have my doubts. I was looking at PhD/MSc programs though.
Reply 26
I don't think quality of teaching is solely defined as good or bad depending on what uni one went to. And, I don't think PhD's are necessarily better teachers. Some of them at my current school are not the quality one would expect. On the other hand, I do realize that is part of the criteria in defining a top school and uni. As I said, my sister did management at St. Andrews. During the years she was there the management underwent many unsettling changes with a number of her professors being fired and the entire department changing. It was not the best of years. But what I am most aware of were the lack of industry ties at St. Andrews. Cass on the other hand, along with other London and Southern unis seem to have much better connections. So even after reading the reports I am still considering , especially after getting the email on the £2000 bonus.

I am thinking the same as you! When I looked around at CASS I was amazed, the website and the guardian table really sold it to me. I thought to myself 'If I come here, I will get an amazing job at a big multi-national' and I LOVED the uni. It was not too big, just the right size, just a bit expensive to live there. But now reading all of these, I am very confused :frown:

did you go to Cass after all? or what uni did you choose instead?
Original post by water_lilly
did you go to Cass after all? or what uni did you choose instead?

I'm not at uni yet, but I have applied there :smile: I really like it, but am worried about the level of maths they want as I didn't do maths a-level
Reply 29
As someone who goes to Cass, my recommendation to you is that, given the negative comments you've been making, you may be happier at Oxford or Warwick Business School (if they'd accept you). I've met students who've passed on other top universities to come to Cass & their constant moaning has been irritating to be around.

I don't really agree with this desperate marketing image you have of Cass - from my experience, their marketing has been modest and their staff are patient & helpful rather than over eager & desperate.

I think a large part of the success of Cass Business School is that it is driven by students based on performance and their maintained work environment rather than by brand name. This is why I wouldn't recommend somewhere like LSE over Cass.

If you're trying to find somewhere like Harvard or Stanford Business School, I suggest you just apply there. There isn't really a UK substitute.
Reply 30
Original post by KennyChou
As someone who goes to Cass, my recommendation to you is that, given the negative comments you've been making, you may be happier at Oxford or Warwick Business School (if they'd accept you). I've met students who've passed on other top universities to come to Cass & their constant moaning has been irritating to be around.

I don't really agree with this desperate marketing image you have of Cass - from my experience, their marketing has been modest and their staff are patient & helpful rather than over eager & desperate.

I think a large part of the success of Cass Business School is that it is driven by students based on performance and their maintained work environment rather than by brand name. This is why I wouldn't recommend somewhere like LSE over Cass.

If you're trying to find somewhere like Harvard or Stanford Business School, I suggest you just apply there. There isn't really a UK substitute.

Cass>LSE. LOLOLOLOL.
Reply 31
As a current Cass student I have to say that although I am very happy with the quality and format of education at Cass, I am not terribly impressed with the teaching quality by professors. Not sure if that has anything to do with my professors being PHDs or not, cause the who is in fact a phd, I find the worst of all in teaching style and methods. I say the above notwithstanding that I may have felt the same way with LSE or Oxbridge. The reason I chose Cass was purely program-based; that mine was not available with any other besides Cass. WRT the ranking bit, it would not be entirely wrong to assume that schools use marketing strategies to induce applications, including the likes of possibly influencing ranking league tables (please bear in mind that I am not at all insinuating that Cass has ever or would ever engage in such activity) but to say that LSE and Oxbridge dont induce applications would be a highly biased conjecture. At the best (or worst) I would say that all schools market their respective positions in their own specific ways; by not advertising themselves aggressively above the line, Oxbridge are actually exercising their brand positioning as accepted by their specific target student audience; while at the same time they use softer mediums of engaging with their target student audience through means of iphone apps, free readings posted online, free webinars posted online etc, which Cass provides only to its own students. As far as their rankings are concerned, how can anyone here be so sure that none of LSE, LBS, or Oxbridge have NEVER ever influenced ranking league tables??

I dont mean any offense, but for all those that are ranting in favour of LSE, LBS Oxbridge etc. against Cass, the least that is expected from you now that you intend to pursue your masters in one of the historically recognised ‘big league’ schools (instead of Cass :colondollar:) is for you to base your arguments on well-researched unbiased grounds. If you want to build an argument based on a hypothesis from biased conjecture then there really is no point in having a discussion with anyone, since you wont be open to clarifications or suggestions. Oh yeah, one final thing - a degree from LSE, LBS, Oxbridge etc., is not a guarantee certificate of getting a job. I have plenty of prior work experience; people get hired from schools regardless of their ranking or status.
Reply 32
Original post by Amitee
As a current Cass student I have to say that although I am very happy with the quality and format of education at Cass, I am not terribly impressed with the teaching quality by professors. Not sure if that has anything to do with my professors being PHDs or not, cause the who is in fact a phd, I find the worst of all in teaching style and methods. I say the above notwithstanding that I may have felt the same way with LSE or Oxbridge. The reason I chose Cass was purely program-based; that mine was not available with any other besides Cass. WRT the ranking bit, it would not be entirely wrong to assume that schools use marketing strategies to induce applications, including the likes of possibly influencing ranking league tables (please bear in mind that I am not at all insinuating that Cass has ever or would ever engage in such activity) but to say that LSE and Oxbridge dont induce applications would be a highly biased conjecture. At the best (or worst) I would say that all schools market their respective positions in their own specific ways; by not advertising themselves aggressively above the line, Oxbridge are actually exercising their brand positioning as accepted by their specific target student audience; while at the same time they use softer mediums of engaging with their target student audience through means of iphone apps, free readings posted online, free webinars posted online etc, which Cass provides only to its own students. As far as their rankings are concerned, how can anyone here be so sure that none of LSE, LBS, or Oxbridge have NEVER ever influenced ranking league tables??

I dont mean any offense, but for all those that are ranting in favour of LSE, LBS Oxbridge etc. against Cass, the least that is expected from you now that you intend to pursue your masters in one of the historically recognised ‘big league’ schools (instead of Cass :colondollar:) is for you to base your arguments on well-researched unbiased grounds. If you want to build an argument based on a hypothesis from biased conjecture then there really is no point in having a discussion with anyone, since you wont be open to clarifications or suggestions. Oh yeah, one final thing - a degree from LSE, LBS, Oxbridge etc., is not a guarantee certificate of getting a job. I have plenty of prior work experience; people get hired from schools regardless of their ranking or status.

Same quality applicant from Cass < Same quality applicant from LSE/Oxbridge. Why? Prestige. /thread.
I have just read through this entire post. I am literally devastated that the majority of people here do not agree that the Business School is very good. It is my top choice because of the reputation I've heard about the University. It worries me that it may be the wrong choice now, but seriously, how bad is this university?
Has anyone actually had major problems?

I have been waiting to go to university my whole life, the last thing I want to be doing is transferring from a silly choice.

The other options I have other this university is, University of Southampton, University of Cardiff, University of Westminster and Solent University.

I've put my heart in to this university, I am just really worried now.
If anyone can give guidance I'd be grateful!
Reply 34
Original post by scarletyeah
I have just read through this entire post. I am literally devastated that the majority of people here do not agree that the Business School is very good. It is my top choice because of the reputation I've heard about the University. It worries me that it may be the wrong choice now, but seriously, how bad is this university?

I have been waiting to go to university my whole life, the last thing I want to be doing is transferring from a silly choice.

The other options I have other this university is, University of Southampton, University of Cardiff, University of Westminster and Solent University.

You should bear in mind that people here are comparing Cass to Oxbridge & LSE which are the best universities in the country.

Do not go to Southampton, Cardiff, Westminster or Solent - you will not be able to get an internship or a decent graduate offer. Their entry requirements are much less than Cass which should give you an indication. PM me if you have any specific questions about Cass. I'm glad I choose Cass over King's, Bath, etc. but I definitely would've gone to Cambridge or Oxford if I had the chance. (maybe Warwick Business School).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35

I agree with KennyChou's point too, it's a good university with graduates working in various bulge brackets so the prospects are really what you make of them. Out of all your choices I would definitely firm Cass - that is if you get the offer.
Reply 36
Original post by Bud Fox
Same quality applicant from Cass &lt; Same quality applicant from LSE/Oxbridge. Why? Prestige. /thread.

Fair point. But not quite in the region of what I was actually talking about. This thread should probably discuss the issue more program-specific rather than providing an overall viewpoint coming from obvious preconceptions. We all understand very well that LSE, LBS and Oxbridge are a class apart. Hell, even I would have chosen one of them had they been offering a program like the one I am pursuing at Cass.

Agree with KennyChou. And this is exactly the problem with such ridiculous and meritless debates. Don’t be confused between the two comparisons. Cass v/s Southampton, Cardiff, Westminster, Solent on one hand is very different from Cass v/s LSE, LBS, Oxbrdge on the other. You must give appropriate weightage to all factors involved. Don’t just go by ranking. Take in to account the program itself, the course content, the course structure, market affiliations…..well of course the ranking too, and maybe even the faculty quality and background etc etc. You will then have to consider whether you have an offer from the ones you like or not, and finally the affordability factor (for many this comes first, to each his own). Do borrow suggestions and opinions from forums like TSR, but do not treat them as your guiding star.

All the best with your decision.
Reply 37
Do they even have PGCE? I thought every university teacher had to have one.

Not true; I'd say the ones that do are in the minority.
I'm not at uni yet, but I have applied there :smile: I really like it, but am worried about the level of maths they want as I didn't do maths a-level

maths is fun, at least i consider it to be fun, so if they will give you an offer, you should be fine :smile: good luck!
Reply 39
PostG. Should I apply? If yes, why please. People keep telling me that they let anyone in.

I am an insider from CASS business school. They don't accept any one from any university. If you don't get first class or distinction from previous degree, they would not even consider you the offer. I am currently with Warwick university, Imperial colledge, Oxford, LSE graduates students in the same class. All of them are currently struggle in our course at CASS business school. Please don't confuse CASS business school quality with city university quality. Couple of month ago, we had a good guest lecturers who is the Dutch bank forex trading director. Some students got personally business cards from the director. Students at CASS business school can make a good oppertunity through the city jobs. However, the course at CASS is very tough. Don't just come with some empty mind. you will soon regret. Once you start to work in the city, you will be very much suprise how many CASS business school gradute you meet everywhere. My advice is you can apply at CASS but you won't get any offer unless you have a very competitive mark from your previous degree. I have seen many people moaning about tough entry criteria at CASS business school after they were rejected from CASS but they all got offer from UCL or King's college or LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending