The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

How Is the Education in Cass Business School?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
hello guys, do you think someone could transfer to cass from another uk business school currently studying an identical msc degree with that of cass? Or to another university business school in the UK only?
Thanks!
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 61
Hey, I'm going to be an international student, so at the moment I'm totally confused as I can form my opinion only by reading forums. Cass Investment and Risk Management vs. Reading Finance and Investment Banking, is Cass obviously better?
Original post by gabbyz
Hey, I'm going to be an international student, so at the moment I'm totally confused as I can form my opinion only by reading forums. Cass Investment and Risk Management vs. Reading Finance and Investment Banking, is Cass obviously better?

Cass, definitely, no doubt. :lol:
Doing undergraduate with cass doesn't mean you are with cass. Cass and city are like two different places, at least the facilities do not have equal standard. Undergraduates with cass business school have most of their three years at city campus not cass building. When the "city" staffs make decision, they seem to not care about cass or law school( most faculty that don't base at the main campus). Between city and cass the staff have bad communication and you will know about the 'politics' between city and cass in lectures as told by the lecturers. The chancellor cut students benefit and raise his salary, profs boycott marking, how city want to 'convert' cass and make them part of city...etc. out of all, it is the students who suffer. If you are finishing you UG and thinking of going to cass for PG. I can assure you that you can learn a lot practical skills but the student experience won't be a great pleasure. Especially if you are from unis like LSE warwick IC etc etc....
Original post by Ifeelsorryfamily
Doing undergraduate with cass doesn't mean you are with cass. Cass and city are like two different places, at least the facilities do not have equal standard. Undergraduates with cass business school have most of their three years at city campus not cass building. When the "city" staffs make decision, they seem to not care about cass or law school( most faculty that don't base at the main campus). Between city and cass the staff have bad communication and you will know about the 'politics' between city and cass in lectures as told by the lecturers. The chancellor cut students benefit and raise his salary, profs boycott marking, how city want to 'convert' cass and make them part of city...etc. out of all, it is the students who suffer. If you are finishing you UG and thinking of going to cass for PG. I can assure you that you can learn a lot practical skills but the student experience won't be a great pleasure. Especially if you are from unis like LSE warwick IC etc etc....

I don't understand what you're saying :s-smilie:
Question for anyone who studied undergraduate finance at CASS: would you consider A-level math an essential to survive CASS? as it's the only school in London which offers undergraduate Finance courses, without requesting Math A-Level. I am currently considering to apply to the International Finance & Banking, and Investment & Risk Management courses. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you :smile:
Original post by Jordan Gekko
Question for anyone who studied undergraduate finance at CASS: would you consider A-level math an essential to survive CASS? as it's the only school in London which offers undergraduate Finance courses, without requesting Math A-Level. I am currently considering to apply to the International Finance & Banking, and Investment & Risk Management courses. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you :smile:

It would certainly be beneficial to have A level maths. There's extra-support for people who don't have quite a quantitative background. Generally, especially for IFRM it will be a little more work in terms of catching up. It's do-able but then you would have to commit to catching up. Within the maths heavy lectures you would be allocated more time, in order to be on par. At the end of the first year, you would have the relevant maths knowledge to proceed to the second year alongside the students who had taken A level maths.
Hi Everyone

I Sarthak Jain, from India have got an offer from Cass for its Msc in Corporate finance program though I applied for Msc Finance. The confusion which is in my mind is regarding the limitation to Corporate Finance - But as such the difference is of only 2-3 modules which I can cover as electives.

Also the Corporate Finance Program is new - it started in 2011.
What you experts suggest will the Corporate Finance will make a huge difference with respect to Ms Finance or not?
What you people suggest I should go for it or not?

Got rejected from Imperial - Still waiting for replies form Lse and Warwick.
I recently applied to Cass Business school for a study abroad program. I received a conditional offer today. What are your thoughts on the university ?
oooohooo love this thread lol
well I'm recently firming Cass and I want to say something about this school..

Cass and City have some issues but whatever they're fighting for, Cass has it's own reputation apart from City and that IS a fact. Their Finance courses are well-known because they provide very detailed courses for Finance, not just one or two in many other schools (eg. Oxford don't even have MSc Finance). You can't find a professor graduating from Cass in Oxford because Cass is very practical, but obviously Oxford/ Cambridge.. need someone who are more "research-based'. This point wouldn't bother me so much either, because those who teach at Cass are pretty much good "lecturers", all of them have a doctor's degree (at least for my course), and I know that they do care about what students think (students would comment on the teachers, and if one is so bad at teaching or smth, he/she will have to go. I don't think you can have such "service in LSE lol). So if you want to start a career soon, Cass has what you need. If you want to dig into research, it is then not a good option for you.

You saw a lot of foreign students? I'm sure you'll see lot more in LSE/Manchester... let's face it, master's degrees are not really popular in the UK, so it's absolutely normal to see a lot of Europeans/ Chinese/ Indians in your class, especially business schools (most schools have more than 90% of foreign students, check out the tables on FT.) And why not foreign students? You can really learn a lot from some of them :wink:

Every school has its own method of selling themselves, I'm not sure why you hate Cass', cause I've never heard of or received any advertisements in my country (well maybe it's different in the UK). But I know that if you get an offer from Nottingham/Lancaster..etc., you'll receive DOZENS of emails lol.

Smile!:cute:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, I am an undergraduate student. I'm in high school in France. I have applied for a course at Cass (in Business studies) and another at Bath (in Management). I have visited both but that hasn't helped me in making a choice between them.
Could anyone help me by giving me their opinion about these two universities ?
I don't think the rankings are very objective about their real
Original post by ILikeProperThings
Before I rule out this school completely, can I get some opinions on this school from current students or people who know about this school? Not from the official representatives please.

Reasons for ruling this one out.

I have been there a few times. The impression I got was that the school is like a foreign country and the admin people are all UK nationals (saw them on the third floor), feeding on those who come from abroad. The building is fancy because hey let's face it this isn't Harvard, this is the least they can do. I am all for the Euro-thing, but hey there should be some boundaries.

Teachers did talk about having a lot of experience teaching and suggested that they knew what they were doing. But given their previous qualifications, they would say that wouldn't they. Do they even have PGCE? I thought every university teacher had to have one.

I met current students, heard where they studied before and the grade they got, much too low.

The ranking tables are rubbish. No one cares. I don't think LSE cares about their position in the ranking tables and they don't have to. This school has to, because that's all they have got. This school is very showoff, anti-English. They never miss the opportunities to tell the world how great they are. In the financial times editorial thing, there are so many pieces by Cass teachers. I thought that teachers would get sacked if they mixed journalism and academia.

Finally, I don't like the fact that they have got representatives on the TSR. It makes them appear desperate and cheap.

Thanks people. No representatives please. No representatives please.

Cass Business School has a good reputation especially in subjects like Finance. It is highly ranked in the financial times. Also an interesting ranking by efinancialcareers shows the proportion of people with finance-focused Masters degrees in our system who have gone on to secure a ‘front office’ investment banking job upon graduation. In both league tables Cass performs quite well.See links
http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/154088/the-top-25-masters-in-finance-for-getting-a-job-in-investment-banking/

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/188382/top-30-masters-finance-courses-getting-job-hedge-funds-private-equity-asset-management/

Finally, for those who dislike the fact that Cass is part of City University, which arguably has a worst reputation than Cass, City has recently joined the University of London. Other colleges which are members of the University of London are Queen Mary, LSE, SOAS etc.

Here is the link: http://www.london.ac.uk/5719.html?&no_cache=1&sword_list%5B%5D=university
Reply 72
Has anyone studied management and can tell me what it's like? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by auto9817
I am an insider from CASS business school. They don't accept any one from any university. If you don't get first class or distinction from previous degree, they would not even consider you the offer. I am currently with Warwick university, Imperial colledge, Oxford, LSE graduates students in the same class. All of them are currently struggle in our course at CASS business school. Please don't confuse CASS business school quality with city university quality. Couple of month ago, we had a good guest lecturers who is the Dutch bank forex trading director. Some students got personally business cards from the director. Students at CASS business school can make a good oppertunity through the city jobs. However, the course at CASS is very tough. Don't just come with some empty mind. you will soon regret. Once you start to work in the city, you will be very much suprise how many CASS business school gradute you meet everywhere. My advice is you can apply at CASS but you won't get any offer unless you have a very competitive mark from your previous degree. I have seen many people moaning about tough entry criteria at CASS business school after they were rejected from CASS but they all got offer from UCL or King's college or LSE.

LOL...you must be kidding!! I know so many people that went for an MSc to CASS with 2.2 and 2.1....those people were accepted from LSE then? I doubt it!
Reply 74
Hi Guys

I'd like to apply for master in Corporate Finance. Would anybody else heard something about how difficult is to be accepted? Unfortunately I do not have excellent average on my bachelor degree. However, I have an experience in finance and I've done a summer school at Cass in mergers and acquisitions. Any idea how difficult it might get? The secretary tells you so little about the process...

Thanks
Any one here doing business studies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cadiz
Hi Guys

I'd like to apply for master in Corporate Finance. Would anybody else heard something about how difficult is to be accepted? Unfortunately I do not have excellent average on my bachelor degree. However, I have an experience in finance and I've done a summer school at Cass in mergers and acquisitions. Any idea how difficult it might get? The secretary tells you so little about the process...

Thanks

As I've said in my previous post, it is fairly easy to get in with low grades, I wouldn't worry if I were you...
Reply 77
Well maybe not that low, just average...
Thanks a lot, I haven't seen your post!
Reply 78
Now I do.

Well, auto9817 don't scare me!
Original post by alexkol
As I've said in my previous post, it is fairly easy to get in with low grades, I wouldn't worry if I were you...

I disagree. I did my MSc in Cass a few years ago. Note that I have a Bachelors in Economics from a good university and I also had good grades. I can tell you that in my course (and from what I saw also in other courses) the students had all either a first or 2:1. I only met two guys who had a high 2:2. The first one had a Bachelor in Mathematics and Economics from LSE and the second one a high 2:2 in Engineering, Economics and Management (EEM) from Oxford. So both had attended very good universities and hard degrees.

Also, if you have a look at the website it says that the entry requirements are a UK 2.1 or above, or the equivalent from an overseas institution. So I do not actually understand how you can state that it is fairly easy to get in with low grades? Are you suggesting that the information that CASS is posting on their website is inaccurate? I might be the case that you know one or two guys that made it into CASS with low grades but I can tell you that this is definitely not the norm. I also know of one guy who did a MSc in Decision Science at LSE, with a 2:2 from a low ranked overseas university. Does this mean that LSE is not a good university, obviously not. Almost all universities (even LSE) have flagship Masters which is very hard to get in and others which are easier. Finally. the grade is not everything. Some of these guys are older and have working experience, so you need to compare like with like.

Additionally, City university is joining the university of London. Here is the link:
http://www.london.ac.uk/5719.html?&no_cache=1&sword_list%5B%5D=university

If CASS and City were that bad and were accepting people with low grades would they be part of the university of London, I doubt it.

CASS may not be as good as LBS and not as reputable as LSE, but as a Business School it is consistenly ranked in the top Business Schools in the UK by the Financial Times, Times, Independent and many other newspapers. It also scored very high in the The Research Excellence Framework (REF) which is the successor to the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) a method of assessing the research of British higher education institutions. My advise to students that want to attend any university and any course is not to rely much on the opinion of one or two individuals (including the opinion I am writing here), rather do your own research and even try to visit the university you are interesting in and talk to the lecturers and students there.

So unless you have very solid evidence (and not just one or two people you may know) to back up your theory, I would say that your statement, at its best, is misleading.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending