The Student Room Group

Is it possible...

to gain weight on extremely healthy food?

For example I will eat porridge made with apple juice for brekkie,

two apples, a melon salad and bunch of grapes for morning break,

bean salad, natural yoghurt, low-fat cheese and low-fat hot chocolate for lunch

and chicken risotto for dinner.

I also have lots of other little snacks like a handful of raisins, handful of plain nuts, dried apricots etc. I just feel as if I am eating constantly - I barely go 2 or 3 hours without eating something and even though it is extremely healthy I'm worried.

Is my body just adjusting to a new, healthy regime or am I overeating? I never feel hungry.
I very much doubt you will gain weight - when you are eating healthy foods - as you are ( your diet looks very impressive to me!) when you are hungry it is because your body needs it. so as long as when you are eating these things it is because you feel genuinely hungry - and not thirst/boredom etc. im sure you wont gain weight! Keep up the good work by the sounds of it! :smile:
Reply 2
you think because you don't feel hungry you will become overweight?
Reply 3
Yeah, i need to gain weight but i want to eat healthily instead of crap.

So... lots of carbs for me! I'm gonna be the antithesis of the Atkins :biggrin:
Reply 4
bis432
you think because you don't feel hungry you will become overweight?

No, its just that I seem to be eating constantly and always feeling full. I never feel hungry before a meal and I graze throughout the day. To me that suggests that I might be eating too much.

Its not thirst because I always carry a bottle of water with me and refill it twice every day.

I just want to make sure that my healthy eating isn't going to make me over-eat.

Thanks Laura- your post was encouraging! :smile:
Reply 5
well eating frequently in small portions with healthy food like you do actually speeds the metabolism up. so the chances of it putting weight on are very low from that diet is low. depends on your sex etc though.
Reply 6
That should keep your metabolism nice and high and on healthy foods so you should lose weight :smile:.
Reply 7
Yes, especially if your not exercising at least 20-30 minutes a day. But then you'd need to be eating like 20 portions of fruit a day or 20 healthy meals a day or something similarly crazy :biggrin:

Although really all depends how much your eating, without giving us specific portion sizes, your metabolism rate and your weight theres no way we could work it out.

Even then theres no way we could work it out unless theres some clever nutritionist on here!

Although obviously you just need to look at RDA guidelines for calories etc to see how much you should be eating. From what you have posted i'd guess your not overeating at all, your just eating foods which don't have a high energy/calorie count and hence you can eat more of it. For instance fruit has fibre in which isn't absorbed so can be discounted from energy/calorie count, also has complex carbs which burn slower and therefore more likely to be used than stored.

The most accurate measure of how much you should be eating is how hungry you are, just eat until your no longer hungry. Although if your really fat to begin with you may be too hungry to start off with and another approach is needed, but i'm guessing your not.
Reply 8
Sabre
From what you have posted i'd guess your not overeating at all, your just eating foods which don't have a high energy/calorie count and hence you can eat more of it. For instance fruit has fibre in which isn't absorbed so can be discounted from energy/calorie count, also has complex carbs which burn slower and therefore more likely to be used than stored.

The most accurate measure of how much you should be eating is how hungry you are, just eat until your no longer hungry. Although if your really fat to begin with you may be too hungry to start off with and another approach is needed, but i'm guessing your not.

This bit seems pretty much accurate. When I ate junk, I ate less but now that I eat healthily I have the urge to eat more. I don't eat huge portions at all, for example my bean salad at lunch was 100 calories for 100g and I had a 200g packet, and the natural yoghurt was only 100 calories-ish.

Thankyou everyone for your responses! I feel better now. :biggrin:

Latest