The Student Room Group

Struggling with maths.

I am really slow. I get there in the end but it takes me at least twice as long as everyone else. I don't mind too much because I feel really satisfied when I finally get something but it means I'm spending so much time on my maths work I'm not spending much time on anything else.

It was always said that I was bad at maths at school (as well as being lazy, lacking concentration, not trying hard enough etc :frown: ) but I'm starting to wonder why, now that I'm an adult and am choosing to study and getting satisfaction from it I am still so slow. I love drawing graphs, can cope with plugging numbers into formulas and am great with timetables etc but I realised today when someone laughed at me (not in a horrible way, I think they thought I was playing) that not everybody uses their fingers to take five away from twelve or quietly counts up in eights on their fingers when they want to know what six of them are.

The thing is I feel really stupid, its bringing all the memories and feelings back from my school years. My maths tutor is younger than me and is obviously a maths genius, he probably doesn't understand how people don't get the simple concepts. He explains things to me but might as well be speaking another language. I'm sure he thinks I'm rude for not answering when he is explaining stuff and does that thing where he says "and you know the cube root of x is...?". I'm not too worried about being left behind because I'm putting in the hours at home. I'm worried that it will look like I'm cheating if I can't do something in class but then after spending hours doing the homework hand it in all correct (I check and double check). Where before I felt strong and determined now I'm feeling afraid that I might get found out.
Reply 1
A good starting point would be to talk to your tutor :smile:

I'm presuming this is maths on an Access course? Does the college have any form of extra tuition help? I know my college had a member from student support come in to maths lessons and walk round the room helping people, explaining concepts etc They also ran extra 1.5-2hr sessions for people who felt they needed a little extra help. They may be able to offer some guidance on how you can improve your mental arithmetic? Or give you some "tools" to help you feel more confident! Does your college test for dyslexia? I know it was found in my class that several people always thought "they were bad at maths" but it turned out they actually had dyslexia (which, yes, affects numbers too!)
+1 for testing for Dyslexia and Irlen Syndrome.
Reply 3
This info on dyscalculia may be helpful:

http://www.dyscalculia.me.uk/

I don't want to diagnose you with anything OP :tongue: but it sounds like you need extra support from your college. I know what it's like to feel stupid, but you're not stupid, you're someone who struggles with Maths.
Reply 4
Thank-you lovely people for you comments.

I've nearly done the easy maths assignment that most of my class will rattle off in an hour, although I spent nearly all night on it. Another hour or so for the last question so hope to have it done over the weekend.

I don't think I'm quite bad enough to qualify for a diagnosis, and I'm not sure one would help me. It might even go against me as I'm applying for a degree that requires lots of maths. I don't think there is any extra maths help and our tutor teaches loads of groups so probably doesn't have spare time for people like me.

I was planning to speak to the tutor but again I'm not sure if there's any point. I can do the work and don't need any special attention so it might just sound like I'm moaning.

Thanks again though.
Reply 5
What degree are you wanting to go in for? As far as I'm aware many unis do extra maths (etc.) classes for people who may not have the maths skills required for the degree. Chemistry and Biology do, seeing as they typically do not ask for A-level Maths when making offers, anyway. Might be different for physics, economics, etc.

Are you learning it correctly? Obviously there's no strict correct way, but it may be that you're not being taught in a way which suits you. I find the best way to revise maths is to learn all the symbols and terms used in maths, what they mean and the context in which they're used as well as examples. What type/level of maths are you doing? It may help to use past-papers/practice-papers and mark schemes..
Reply 6
Original post by Threxy
What degree are you wanting to go in for? As far as I'm aware many unis do extra maths (etc.) classes for people who may not have the maths skills required for the degree. Chemistry and Biology do, seeing as they typically do not ask for A-level Maths when making offers, anyway. Might be different for physics, economics, etc.

Are you learning it correctly? Obviously there's no strict correct way, but it may be that you're not being taught in a way which suits you. I find the best way to revise maths is to learn all the symbols and terms used in maths, what they mean and the context in which they're used as well as examples. What type/level of maths are you doing? It may help to use past-papers/practice-papers and mark schemes..

Thanks Threxy, in fact I've heard that Brighton uni have extra maths help.

The level 3 unit we are currently doing is actually not too bad because we are being taught it as a new subject and we use calculators. The level 2 unit is meant to be more of a refresher so we're being reminded rather than taught which is probably why I'm struggling.
Reply 7
Original post by jami74
I am really slow. I get there in the end but it takes me at least twice as long as everyone else. I don't mind too much because I feel really satisfied when I finally get something but it means I'm spending so much time on my maths work I'm not spending much time on anything else.

It was always said that I was bad at maths at school (as well as being lazy, lacking concentration, not trying hard enough etc :frown: ) but I'm starting to wonder why, now that I'm an adult and am choosing to study and getting satisfaction from it I am still so slow. I love drawing graphs, can cope with plugging numbers into formulas and am great with timetables etc but I realised today when someone laughed at me (not in a horrible way, I think they thought I was playing) that not everybody uses their fingers to take five away from twelve or quietly counts up in eights on their fingers when they want to know what six of them are.

Hey, don't feel bad, and certainly don't worry - you're not alone! Maths and numbers just don't come naturally to some people, me being one of them! It doesn't mean you will never be able to do it, it just means you may well have to work on concepts for a little longer.

I'm applying to do an undergraduate geology masters degree in 2012, and until recently, I have never, ever, ever been able to deal with maths. I spent most of my maths classes at school (12 years ago) arsing around. I had a wake-up call last year when I did an OU science foundation course and just couldn't cope with working out all the indices, units, calculus and algebra.

I decided that I needed to tackle the problem head on, so I'm now enrolled at a local adult college to retake my GCSE. I don't know if it's the same for you but because I had to try harder and felt stupid during maths at school I just gave up, and now I don't have the basic maths skills as a platform to work from.

Once I'd started the course, done homework, practised, asked questions during class and generally put effort in, I found that I wasn't that bad at it afterall (I'll never be a maths genius though) and I'm beginning to see the beauty of all the patterns in numbers. I'm finding once you learn all the rules, and practise applying them it's actually really enjoyable. After being so frightened of the subject for so long, the sense of achievement when I get a problem right is totally elating!

Best thing I ever did, seriously! My GCSE course is costing me £500 and it requires me to go to college 6-9pm every Thursday night, and I estimate to spend at least 8 hours a week practising concepts and questions I didn't feel confident with during class. I think of it as an investment in myself.

Don't be scared, seriously. I've been doing the course for 8 weeks and have learnt a huge amount and improved my confidence vastly already. Oh, have you tried looking on Youtube? I couldn't get my head around short division and multiplication - there are loads of tutorials on there for maths :smile: :smile:

Good luck!:biggrin:
Reply 8
I would honestly recommend redoing your GCSE Maths if you're struggling - I haven't studied for 20 years and decided that instead of rushing into the Access course I'd take a year out and redo maths whilst working - yes it's been stressful at times but I'm relearning the basics so that it's fresh in my mind for when I do my BMAT etc next year! Good luck and as someone above said, maths is all about having a strong basic grasp of rules and process!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending