The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by edd360
Well regardless of the burners intentions, I still think it's extremely childish and unprodcutvie to get worked up about someone burning some paper in the shape of a flower.

Well if someone stole a £50 pound note from your wallet we could tell you not to get worked up about a rectangular piece of paper...
^I like it.

It's about what it represents rather than what it is.
Disrespectful and obnoxious, yes, verily. Arresting them though? Hmmmm

I'm curious to see if the TSRers would be objecting against the courtcase if the boys were muslim though? :P
Reply 23
Original post by RTAN451
I'm pretty sure they did get arrested, which annoyed me because last year when Muslims didn't they walked off free, possibly because if they hot arrested there'd probably be a bomb in a few days time.

You can't really compare the two, because the Irish legal system is different to the English one. However, you are wrong, the Muslim poppy burner was charged and fined. Not to mention that the entire organisation was banned.
Reply 24
Original post by the bear
Well if someone stole a £50 pound note from your wallet we could tell you not to get worked up about a rectangular piece of paper...

No, your scenario involves stealing. The equivalent would be me burning my own £50 note. And if I did dothat, I still wouldn't expect people to get up in my case.
Reply 25
I think it's nothing to do with their ethnicity. It's do to with the political situation in Northern Ireland.
Original post by middlj
Religion is still probably to blame though

no it isn't
Reply 27
One person said it...
Everyone else condemned what they did.

ridiculous comparision. £50 is obviously worth something.

Don't tell me that the poppy is to because I can't buy a PS3 game or a new hoody with a poppy's 'value'
Reply 29
Yeah, Brown people seem to make better villains. Essentially it gives people an excuse to vent their racism/xenophobic views that would otherwise be stigmatised.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
I think this is pretty disgusting behviour but is it really a matter for the police? Bit of an overreaction I'd say.
they should be sent to Long Kesh to share a cell with some UVF members

yeah, cause it still exists...

Original post by FluxD
This happened weeks ago.

Silly teenage bogwogs don't realize that their own countrymen fought and died for the British Army. I should know, my granddad was Irish and served in the Yorkshire Rifles.

Quite a lot of people take the 'foggy dew' presepctive. Well not quite a lot, but some. I certainly wouldn't burn a poppy as many Irish fought in ww1. But I wouldn't wear one at the same time. Even felt a little insulted when someone asked me if I had a minutes silence today...

faoi ghlas ag na Gaill
Reply 32
What do you mean? They've been arrested havn't they?
Reply 33
Original post by Howard
What do you mean? They've been arrested havn't they?

I think he's refering to the TSR crowd and media. He hasn't gotten the same abuse and calls for the 'death penalty' that the Asian poppy burners got.
I personally find this disgusting! How dare they? Could they do what our service men and women do everyday? I don't think so. The poppy is a sign of remembrance! Sick, inconsiderate boys.
R. I. P to all those that have lost their lives, you will be forever in our hearts.
I feel really awful. I'm not racist, but I really expected to see a picture of Muslims. I'm sorry, but it's true.
Oh, and what the f*ck were they protesting about? Frankly it seems they were just trying to get a reaction. :mad:
Reply 37
A court case? That's ridiculous! :eek:
If it had been Protestants burning an Easter Lily, does anyone really think that such a big deal would have been made of it? (Assuming the two in the pic are Catholics)
Original post by buchanan700
Disrespectful and obnoxious, yes, verily. Arresting them though? Hmmmm

I'm curious to see if the TSRers would be objecting against the courtcase if the boys were muslim though? :P

If they'd been muslim then they wouldn't have been arrested in the first place.
Reply 39
Original post by RunDMC
Not ragheads? Pfft... I don''t care.

most "ragheads" (like myself) are sikhs actually and we are quite different to muslims so that comment was rather stupid. a significant number of sikhs actually fought in the british army during both world wars so the "ragheads" would have no reason to burn poppies. just saying :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending